Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 519631 times)

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #6705 on: January 27, 2015, 05:03:29 PM »
Seahawks 100%, because Tom Brady can(Inser things that could get me warned/modded, so let us pretend puppies and kitties are what I intend)

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #6706 on: January 27, 2015, 05:08:29 PM »
Puppy Bowl and Kitty Bowl are really cute, though. They are. :)
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline Minnesotan

• OC.net guru
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
« Reply #6707 on: January 27, 2015, 10:55:41 PM »

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6708 on: January 27, 2015, 11:54:12 PM »
Goodbye Travis Snider, you were a nice player for the Pirates

Welcome Travis Snider, hope you like it here in Baltimore and become the starting RF

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #6709 on: January 27, 2015, 11:57:36 PM »
We're changing cable networks next week, and one of the fancy shmancy extra stations you can get, if you order it, is Willow, a cricket channel. Oh, boy! It probably isn't in our station lineup, but it would be cool if it were.
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #6710 on: January 28, 2015, 12:06:23 AM »
This porcupine predicts who will win the Super Bowl!

http://youtu.be/r94rbq5duh4

--

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #6711 on: January 28, 2015, 01:11:24 AM »
This porcupine predicts who will win the Super Bowl!

http://youtu.be/r94rbq5duh4

Woo. GoTeddy

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6712 on: February 01, 2015, 11:05:48 PM »
I left my tv with :20 left, i refuse to watch the patriots win the super bowl

Thankfully Cutthroat kitchen is at 11 rather than 10 today

Offline DeniseDenise

• Protokentarchos
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #6713 on: February 02, 2015, 12:04:01 AM »
I left my tv with :20 left, i refuse to watch the patriots win the super bowl

Thankfully Cutthroat kitchen is at 11 rather than 10 today

Heh. Well this was a dismal day. 

Online PeterTheAleut

• The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #6714 on: February 02, 2015, 02:19:45 AM »
TERRIBLE play call at the end--in fact, possibly the worst play call ever in Super Bowl history--but I give Pete Carroll credit for having the class to take the blame for that call. That was one helluva circus catch made by Jermaine Kearse to set up that play call, though. For the sheer concentration and athleticism necessary to make that catch in that situation, it was every bit as spectacular as David Tyree's helmet catch that helped the Giants beat unbeaten New England in Super Bowl XLII.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 02:24:09 AM by PeterTheAleut »
Not all who wander are lost.

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #6715 on: February 02, 2015, 09:52:56 AM »
TERRIBLE play call at the end--in fact, possibly the worst play call ever in Super Bowl history...

The 2001 AFC divisional playoff game where the Patriots won due to a bad call will always be, in my butthurt Raiders fan opinion, the worst call in football history. But I suppose that wasn't a Super Bowl call, although we deserved to go into it instead of the Patriots.

I'm just glad that baseball season is closer now.
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #6716 on: February 03, 2015, 12:11:58 AM »
TERRIBLE play call at the end--in fact, possibly the worst play call ever in Super Bowl history--but I give Pete Carroll credit for having the class to take the blame for that call. That was one helluva circus catch made by Jermaine Kearse to set up that play call, though. For the sheer concentration and athleticism necessary to make that catch in that situation, it was every bit as spectacular as David Tyree's helmet catch that helped the Giants beat unbeaten New England in Super Bowl XLII.

It cost me $100. That's all that matters.

The final nail in the coffin that is the dump of Pacific Northwest.

I hope it falls into the ocean soon.
Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.

Offline Peacemaker

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6717 on: February 03, 2015, 05:04:25 AM »

Don't root for loosing teams. The Seattle Sounders have 13 championships, four of which are U.S. Open Cup titles and come in 1st in Western Conference and Overall 1st in the league.

Online PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6718 on: February 03, 2015, 05:06:36 AM »

Don't root for loosing teams.
So you encourage everyone to be a fair weather fan?

Offline Peacemaker

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6719 on: February 03, 2015, 05:11:58 AM »

It rains more in NY and Florida than it does here in WA. It's a myth about the weather. What isn't a myth is our bad sports teams. However, the Sounders are the best and we are proud of them.

Online PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6720 on: February 03, 2015, 05:20:11 AM »

It rains more in NY and Florida than it does here in WA. It's a myth about the weather. What isn't a myth is our bad sports teams.
Bad sports teams? The Pacific Northwest has the Seattle Seahawks, who have played in each of the last two Super Bowls--I'm not going to let you get away with calling them a bad sports team just because they lost their attempt to repeat as Super Bowl champions. The PNW has the Portland Trail Blazers, who, despite their recent struggles, are still one of the best teams in the NBA. We have the Portland Thorns, who recently won the national championship in professional women's soccer. The PNW may have their bad sports teams, but they have plenty of good ones, as well.

However, the Sounders are the best and we are proud of them.
You can have your Sounders. GO TIMBERS! ;D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:20:55 AM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline Peacemaker

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6721 on: February 03, 2015, 05:35:15 AM »

It rains more in NY and Florida than it does here in WA. It's a myth about the weather. What isn't a myth is our bad sports teams.
Bad sports teams? The Pacific Northwest has the Seattle Seahawks, who have played in each of the last two Super Bowls--I'm not going to let you get away with calling them a bad sports team just because they lost their attempt to repeat as Super Bowl champions. The PNW has the Portland Trail Blazers, who, despite their recent struggles, are still one of the best teams in the NBA. We have the Portland Thorns, who recently won the national championship in professional women's soccer. The PNW may have their bad sports teams, but they have plenty of good ones, as well.

Football is a horrible sport anyway. If you have to pick between a sport and spending my Sundays in prayer and worship to our Lord, I'll pick God. Sports have turned into a religion, and you can't serve both God and mammon.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #6722 on: February 04, 2015, 01:01:33 AM »

Football is a horrible sport anyway. If you have to pick between a sport and spending my Sundays in prayer and worship to our Lord, I'll pick God. Sports have turned into a religion, and you can't serve both God and mammon.

Wanna bet?!?!?!
Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #6723 on: February 04, 2015, 01:42:22 AM »
A few dumb things about pro football:

1. The cheesy uniforms

2. The required leggings that the NFL mandates. (Half naked cheerleaders doing strip teases on the sidelines is somehow considered professional, but football players with their calves exposed is somehow not. Can't figure that one out.)

3. Domed stadiums in cities where it rarely gets below 50 degrees. That Arizona weather can be brutal in the fall. And such horrible scenery too. Better build a dome to protect the players and fans from such a horrible environment.

4. The two minute warning. Let's arbitrarily stop the flow of the game at its climax so that we can warn the teams that there are only two minutes left. It's not like they can just look up at the scoreboard clock and find out how much time remains. In fact, I wonder why they don't periodically stop the game to apprise the teams of the score. That would make about as much sense as the two minute warning.

Selam
"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+

Offline TheMathematician

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6724 on: February 05, 2015, 09:44:31 AM »

1. The cheesy uniforms

2. The required leggings that the NFL mandates. (Half naked cheerleaders doing strip teases on the sidelines is somehow considered professional, but football players with their calves exposed is somehow not. Can't figure that one out.)

3. Domed stadiums in cities where it rarely gets below 50 degrees. That Arizona weather can be brutal in the fall. And such horrible scenery too. Better build a dome to protect the players and fans from such a horrible environment.

4. The two minute warning. Let's arbitrarily stop the flow of the game at its climax so that we can warn the teams that there are only two minutes left. It's not like they can just look up at the scoreboard clock and find out how much time remains. In fact, I wonder why they don't periodically stop the game to apprise the teams of the score. That would make about as much sense as the two minute warning.

Selam

I'm curious on this one, how so?

I know there are some real duds out there, but there are in CFB too

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • "Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
« Reply #6725 on: February 05, 2015, 07:30:35 PM »

1. The cheesy uniforms

Selam

I'm curious on this one, how so?

I know there are some real duds out there, but there are in CFB too

It's quite subjective of course. Part of what I find goofy about the NFL uniforms is the socks/leggings that I mentioned. Also the jerseys having to be tucked in. I just like the college style uniforms a lot better. But as far as NFL uniforms go, I guess I think the Cowboys, the Steelers, and the 49's have decent uniforms. I like simplicity. Less is more.

Selam
"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+

Online PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6726 on: February 19, 2015, 04:17:45 AM »
One of the key players on the great Portland Trail Blazer teams that played in the NBA Finals in 1990 and 1992, small forward Jerome Kersey, is reported to have died today in Portland. He was only 52 and even spoke at one of the local high schools the day before with teammates Terry Porter and Brian Grant. He leaves behind a widow and four daughters. Not only was Jerome a great athlete, but he was also one of the best loved Blazers both past and present for his friendly demeanor and his service to the community.

May the memory of the servant of God Jerome be eternal! :'(

Offline Gamliel

• Archon
  • ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστον βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #6727 on: February 19, 2015, 10:51:39 AM »
That is sad.  LORD have mercy on Jerome Kersey and his family!

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #6728 on: February 28, 2015, 02:06:20 PM »
Former NY Knicks player Anthony Mason has died. He was 48.

Rest in peace.  :'(

http://www.nba.com/knicks/anthony-mason-dies-age-48

--

Online PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6729 on: March 01, 2015, 05:38:23 AM »
Former NY Knicks player Anthony Mason has died. He was 48.

Rest in peace.  :'(

http://www.nba.com/knicks/anthony-mason-dies-age-48
What is this with former NBA players dying so young?

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #6730 on: March 04, 2015, 11:02:01 AM »
The Hawks are BALLIN.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Online PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6731 on: March 04, 2015, 01:57:36 PM »
The Hawks are BALLIN.
As opposed to BAWLIN?

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6732 on: March 04, 2015, 01:58:54 PM »
The Hawks are BALLIN.
As opposed to BAWLIN?

Maybe i should have just said HOOPIN, to avoid any confusion, yo.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Online PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6733 on: March 04, 2015, 02:02:01 PM »
The Hawks are BALLIN.
As opposed to BAWLIN?

Let's just say that after they get knocked out of the playoffs, they'll be BAWLIN!

Offline Timon

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6734 on: March 04, 2015, 02:14:51 PM »
The Hawks are BALLIN.
As opposed to BAWLIN?

Let's just say that after they get knocked out of the playoffs, they'll be BAWLIN!

Sadly, youre probably right. It is Atlanta, after all. Our teams (usually) dont have any trouble making the playoffs, but dont expect us to hang around very long.

— Chrysostom

BLOG

Online PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6735 on: March 06, 2015, 05:48:23 AM »
The Hawks are BALLIN.
As opposed to BAWLIN?

Sadly, youre probably right. It is Atlanta, after all. Our teams (usually) dont have any trouble making the playoffs, but dont expect us to hang around very long.
Any wagers on how long before Philadelphia's NFL team renames themselves the Ducks?

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6736 on: March 06, 2015, 06:23:13 PM »
Hooligans would seem like a better match for the sports fans of the city  :P
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 06:23:53 PM by Justin Kissel »
We all have an El Guapo to face. Be brave, and fight like lions!

Form a 'brute squad' then!

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6737 on: March 08, 2015, 03:38:02 PM »
RB Chris Johnson was hospitalized after being shot in the shoulder

Former New York Jets and Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson is in stable condition after being shot in the shoulder during a drive-by shooting that occurred at 4 a.m. Sunday at an intersection in Orlando, Florida, according to police.

The driver of the vehicle, Dreekius Oricko Johnson, 28, was killed by gunfire, according to the Orange County sheriff's department.

Johnson and Reggie Johnson, 29, were passengers in the Jeep, per the sheriff's office. The latter Johnson suffered gunshot wounds to his shoulder, hand and leg. He, too, is in stable condition...

Online PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6738 on: March 08, 2015, 05:25:33 PM »
Looks as if Ndamukong $uh is going to Miami for $114M over the next 6 years.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 05:25:51 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Online PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6739 on: March 09, 2015, 02:01:42 AM »
Not liking this. :'( One of the best players on my home town Blazers (NBA) team, Wesley Matthews, is out for the rest of the season after blowing out an Achilles tendon.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #6740 on: March 09, 2015, 02:33:06 AM »
After ending a 6 month hiatus for personal issues, Dustin Johnson wins his 9th career PGA Tour event at the WGC-Cadillac Championship.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6741 on: March 09, 2015, 07:02:33 PM »
Mr. One - Say, what's that sound?
Mr. Two - Hmm? Oh, that's just Stephen A. Smith being an idiot.
Mr. One - So just business as usual then.

Offline Jude1:3

« Reply #6742 on: March 10, 2015, 03:08:44 PM »
    Hey Guys Mayweather vs. Pacquiao set for May 2nd. Finally it's going to happen  8). It's about 4 years too late, but at least it is happening I guess.

Anyone else going to watch ?

Offline Peacemaker

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6743 on: March 10, 2015, 03:38:10 PM »
Mar 14  7:00 PM

Sounders FC       vs         SJ Earthquakes

I hope the Sounders crush them. Would get great to see them get to the cup again!

"I'm Sounders' til I die, I'm Sounders' til I die, I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders' til I die!"

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
    • Alaska Volcanoes
« Reply #6744 on: March 15, 2015, 08:38:34 PM »
Watching Galaxy vs. Timbers.

--

Online PeterTheAleut

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #6745 on: March 15, 2015, 10:28:17 PM »
Watching Galaxy vs. Timbers.
GO TIMBERS!

Offline scamandrius

• Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
  • Taxiarches
  • Jurisdiction: Greek in exile
« Reply #6746 on: March 18, 2015, 01:56:41 PM »
Final four picks anyone?

Mine:  Gonzaga, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Oklahoma
Champtionship game:  Gonzaga v. Kentucky
Winner:  Kentucky
I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene