OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 06:23:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Let's buy a hybrid!  (Read 328 times) Average Rating: 0
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« on: July 09, 2014, 10:40:55 PM »

OKay folks, ive been looking at purchasing a hybrid, and most specifially a Toyota Prius, and want to crowdsource/ alternative opionions on the matter. I would *prefer* to buy American, and particullary Ford or a Chevy. I suppose the question becomes, is the Prius by far my best option, or is there an alternative that is just a good, with power and gas mileage, and the comfort of an air conditioner. Personally, I would oprefer to have one with a backup camera/GPS (Prius 3), but it isnt a requirement and I would be willing to settle with the Prius 2

Also, how hard si the maintance on the Prius and hybrids in general, as compared to a full gasoline engine.

Discuss, and anything else too
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:41:16 PM by TheMathematician » Logged
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 11:48:27 PM »

FOllowup question, how well do they age? As in, if I end up buying used (16k v about 22k), would it be worth it for the extra 20-80K miles that would be on it

Perhaps I should ask it this way. How many miles should, with proper maintance, I be able to have the car for before I ened to trade it in. My dad has been able to get 200k out of a car before with how he does maintence, would it be the same with a hybrid?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:54:15 PM by TheMathematician » Logged
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 11:52:45 PM »

I thought we were going to talk about centaurs, griffins, and chimeras and such.  Sad

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
kelly
God save Ukraine and Russia
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 11:54:49 PM »

I thought we were going to talk about centaurs, griffins, and chimeras and such.  Sad

They're extinct.

Remove the plank of lust from your own eye and you will be able to clearly see the speck of backflesh through the buttonhole of another.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 10:39:48 AM »

Haha, not those ones. :-P
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 11:14:00 AM »

They're extinct.
We aren't all extinct.

Signed,

Your friendly griffin

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 12:16:23 PM »

FOllowup question, how well do they age? As in, if I end up buying used (16k v about 22k), would it be worth it for the extra 20-80K miles that would be on it

Perhaps I should ask it this way. How many miles should, with proper maintance, I be able to have the car for before I ened to trade it in. My dad has been able to get 200k out of a car before with how he does maintence, would it be the same with a hybrid?

I have no experience with hybrids. Consumer reports recommends the Prius in the under $10K used car category (2004-2007). It says the reliability has been first rate along with the 46 mpg. From what I can see, the American hybrids do not look so hot in the reliability category.

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 12:29:43 PM »

You may want to look into the storage batteries warrenty as well as how long they should last & the cost to replace when they eventually are unable to hold a charge.

I'm personally thinking of getting a diesel for my next car, but haven't run the numbers vs a hybrid yet. Currently over 200K mi on my gasoline powered car, even still have to original clutch. But it's only a matter of time.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 05:07:34 PM »

You may want to look into the storage batteries warrenty as well as how long they should last & the cost to replace when they eventually are unable to hold a charge.

I'm personally thinking of getting a diesel for my next car, but haven't run the numbers vs a hybrid yet. Currently over 200K mi on my gasoline powered car, even still have to original clutch. But it's only a matter of time.

Diesel seems like it would be really expensive, considering it's over 4 a gallon right now, and a good 20c higher than regular gas. Looking at the Cruze diesel too, it doesnt even get as good mileage as what the Prius does. That said, I shall look into that warrenty, seeing how important thatll be.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 05:10:38 PM »

I would *prefer* to buy American

Why is that?
Nephi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 05:33:26 PM »

Why is that?

I imagine his idea is to support American car businesses here for a number of reasons (e.g. those which provide jobs for Americans). It's a pretty common sentiment, although most people don't carry through with it in my experience.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 06:43:56 PM »

My neighbor has a VW Jetta Gas/Hybrid that gets 42 mpg city and 48 mpg highway - if one doesn't mind that the car is made in Mexico.

Toyota builds a lot of cars in the US - not the Prius.  I know someone that has a newer Prius and registers no complaints.

If you buy a Prius that's at least 7 years old - you may need to replace the entire hybrid system.  Check to see if the previous owner has done that....
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 12:06:25 AM »

Why is that?

I imagine his idea is to support American car businesses here for a number of reasons (e.g. those which provide jobs for Americans). It's a pretty common sentiment, although most people don't carry through with it in my experience.
Mostly this, and given a non-hybrid I would easily be buying a new Focus(my current car), but the main reason im purchasing a new car is because of the gas milage.

If they were at all comparable, or even slightly worse, my purchase would always be for the American car, but I cant ignore how well the Prius is doing

TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 12:07:56 AM »

My neighbor has a VW Jetta Gas/Hybrid that gets 42 mpg city and 48 mpg highway - if one doesn't mind that the car is made in Mexico.

Toyota builds a lot of cars in the US - not the Prius.  I know someone that has a newer Prius and registers no complaints.

If you buy a Prius that's at least 7 years old - you may need to replace the entire hybrid system.  Check to see if the previous owner has done that....

Is the replacement for the hybrid system also applicable to the newer models? In other words, in 2022 or so would I need to replace the hybrid system, or is it a particular issue with 2007 models and older?
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 12:54:09 AM »

Is the replacement for the hybrid system also applicable to the newer models? In other words, in 2022 or so would I need to replace the hybrid system, or is it a particular issue with 2007 models and older?

I see 1st gen Prii on the road - these are 13-17 year old cars - surely, the hybrid system remains reliable in cars that old.

I wouldn't worry about hybrid system reliability on a newer Prius.   Smiley
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 08:09:27 AM »

Diesel seems like it would be really expensive, considering it's over 4 a gallon right now, and a good 20c higher than regular gas. Looking at the Cruze diesel too, it doesnt even get as good mileage as what the Prius does. That said, I shall look into that warrenty, seeing how important thatll be.

I brought up diesel because you mentioned getting high mileage out of a car. With proper care, nothing will give you higher mileage than a diesel w/manual transmission; solid, heavy duty engines that can last forever. Overall costs are still a problem though. I think VW is finally bringing down the price on their TDIs to help compensate.

It seems Toyota is the king of hybrids currently. They have a pretty good track record & the Prius was designed for it from the ground up unlike other cars that just shoehorned in a battery pack for the "green" label. I'm not sure there's anyone else that can match them right now.

Good luck & let us know how you decide.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 08:15:18 AM »

I see 1st gen Prii on the road - these are 13-17 year old cars - surely, the hybrid system remains reliable in cars that old.

I wouldn't worry about hybrid system reliability on a newer Prius.   Smiley

If they haven't changed the battery pack then they're no longer driving a hybrid. Batteries can only charge/discharge a certain number of cycles. After a while (7 yrs or so?) they're just dead weight if not replaced.

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »

How about this hybrid?

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
ICXCNIKA
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 09:50:45 AM »

I own a used prius (2007 with over 150k miles on it) I just drove from Wisconsin to Hilton Head, SC then to Atlanta and back up to wisconsin and averaged 46 mpg. Which I thought was awesome. I have owned for a a little over a year and have had no issues.

Now if money wasn't an issue I would strongly consider a Chevy Volt.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 10:57:34 AM »

Why is that?

Ideological preference for local firms leads to bad and expensive products and stagnated economy. Some Finns have similar ideas with regards to Finnish products but I've never understood that either.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 10:59:04 AM by Alpo » Logged
Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: Catholic (Carmelite wannabe)
Jurisdiction: The Bishop of Raleigh

which way's mt. carmel again???

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 11:47:35 AM »

I brought up diesel because you mentioned getting high mileage out of a car. With proper care, nothing will give you higher mileage than a diesel w/manual transmission; solid, heavy duty engines that can last forever. Overall costs are still a problem though. I think VW is finally bringing down the price on their TDIs to help compensate.

It seems Toyota is the king of hybrids currently. They have a pretty good track record & the Prius was designed for it from the ground up unlike other cars that just shoehorned in a battery pack for the "green" label. I'm not sure there's anyone else that can match them right now.

Good luck & let us know how you decide.

You would think someone would make a diesel hybrid that would beat the gasoline ones by now Huh

St. Justin Martyr, St. John Cassian, St. Simon Stock, St. Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, pray for me!
CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 10:19:52 AM »

You would think someone would make a diesel hybrid that would beat the gasoline ones by now Huh

I guess it's possible. Are hybrids big sellers in Europe?

I think the next step is to continue development of the battery tech to move to fully electric cars. I have my reservations on this.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 11:20:02 AM »

I have a 2007 (2nd Gen).  I have 215,000 miles on it and drive 41+ miles each way to work everyday.  Due to traffic and such, I have in the past gotten close to 50 mpg.  I was told that I should expect the battery to give out roughly in the 200-250K range, so I may be seeing early signs of the end.  Signs that it is getting to the end:  engine doesn't shut off at stoplights (battery needs to recharge), mileage decreases noticeably.  My current tank is still around 48+, so while not quite as good as say, 30K miles ago, still really good.  I'll have to drop 3 G's on a new battery - $2,600 for the battery and about $400-500 for labor.

Maintenance?  Tires and oil changes are pretty much it.  Due to my commuting, I got 105K miles on the last pair of Michelin's.  I think I have around 50K on the current pair and still in great shape.  One thing though - after 100K or so the car burns oil rather fast...around 1000 miles per quart.  Still better to just add frequently than trying to "fix" (i.e. replace/overhaul) the engine.

I will certainly get another one.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: