Author Topic: Jameson is Roman Catholic and Bushmills is Protestant  (Read 87 times)

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
Jameson is Roman Catholic and Bushmills is Protestant
« on: Yesterday at 01:01:23 PM »
...or not.

I added The Wire to my NetFlix queue on the recommendation of a fellow local music friend I sang with in a Renaissance choir.  I'm toward the end of season 3 and the clip referenced in the link below came up.

I'm only drink Whiskey/Scotch/Bourbon on occasion (beer and wine much more) and don't have strong opinions, so the concept never even occurred to me.  The clip in the link really got my attention though.  Interesting discussion though in the link.

https://www.quora.com/Is-Bushmills-really-a-Protestant-whiskey

And The Wire is a fantastic cop drama if you haven't seen it.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:01:59 PM by Elisha »

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: Jameson is Roman Catholic and Bushmills is Protestant
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 01:22:53 PM »
Yeah, there's really no basis to the distinction. In any case if you really care enough about whiskey you're better off with Redbreast or Green Spot.

And the Wire rules.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 01:42:05 PM »
ROFL - spirits are by definition non-denom.

Enjoy the show, it's one of the best things to binge on.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 01:44:26 PM »
Since I moved to Chicago I can no longer willingly order Jameson. That stuff flows like water here.  I wonder if the myth comes from here because of all the Irish Catholics?  I never liked bushmilles.  Powers is OK, and my preferred of the standard Irish stuff. I see most Irish switch between powers and Jameson. 

I'm more of a a bourbon and rye guy for whiskey flavors.  My standard is probably old overholt.  It's nice to shoot and nice to mix.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:46:39 PM by William T »
“Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, Who is Christ the Lord."

"And The Word became flesh and tabernacled among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth"

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 01:52:02 PM »
Yeah, there's really no basis to the distinction. In any case if you really care enough about whiskey you're better off with Redbreast or Green Spot.

And the Wire rules.

Are you an Irish whiskey fan?  I think it may be my least deliberately bought and ordered whiskey.   Are these worth trying for people who are lukewarm to the standard Irish?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:52:25 PM by William T »
“Behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, Who is Christ the Lord."

"And The Word became flesh and tabernacled among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth"

Offline Iconodule

• Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 02:01:45 PM »

And the Wire rules.

Are you an Irish whiskey fan?  I think it may be my least deliberately bought and ordered whiskey.   Are these worth trying for people who are lukewarm to the standard Irish?

I don't know if I'm an Irish whiskey fan per se, just because there is such a limited selection of the stuff, compared to scotch or bourbon. I think part of this is an issue of distribution in the states, and partly that there really aren't many independent distilleries in Ireland itself.

But yeah, Redbreast and Green Spot are good stuff. Comparing them to your typical Jameson or Bushmills is roughly like comparing Laphroaig, Glenlivet, or Macallan with Johnny Walker Red.
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 02:14:48 PM »

And the Wire rules.

I don't know if I'm an Irish whiskey fan per se, just because there is such a limited selection of the stuff, compared to scotch or bourbon. I think part of this is an issue of distribution in the states, and partly that there really aren't many independent distilleries in Ireland itself.

But yeah, Redbreast and Green Spot are good stuff. Comparing them to your typical Jameson or Bushmills is roughly like comparing Laphroaig, Glenlivet, or Macallan with Johnny Walker Red.

At least I can mix johnny walker or J&B with soda,  that's one of my favorite mixes.  Canadian whiskeys at least can mix.  I don't see that in the Irish stuff.  That's probably my problem with it

Offline Iconodule

• Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 02:17:20 PM »
Yeah, the stuff I'm talking about is for sipping neat. If you just want to mix stuff, stay with what you like.

Offline William T

• OC.net guru
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 02:30:15 PM »
Yeah, the stuff I'm talking about is for sipping neat. If you just want to mix stuff, stay with what you like.

Next time I go to a bar with redbreast I'll give it a try.  Like I said, for sipping I prefer bourbon and rye.  Laphroige is one of the few scotches I'll sip on.  That normal Irish stuff though usually means trouble.  It doesn't mix, it's not good for sipping,  people order those shots in  copious numbers, and it isn't the best tasting stuff out there. It takes a toll on you
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:30:45 PM by William T »