Poll

...children are our future, and that we should teach them well and let them lead the way? As a follow-up: should we show them the beauty they possess inside so as to give them a sense of pride and make it easier?

YES, YES
2 (22.2%)
YES, NO
0 (0%)
NO, NO
2 (22.2%)
NO, YES
0 (0%)
MAYBE IF THEY STOP ACTING THE FOOL ...
4 (44.4%)
I DO NOT KNOW
1 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Do You Believe That...  (Read 166 times)

Online Justin Kissel

• Formerly a *, now a ☆
  • Protospatharios
  • Faith: Agnosticish
Do You Believe That...
« on: February 24, 2015, 11:29:23 AM »
Do you believe that children are our future, and that we should teach them well and let them lead the way? As a follow-up: should we show them the beauty they possess inside so as to give them a sense of pride and make it easier?
"Christian America is finally waking up to what fraternities and biker gangs have known for years: hazing works!"

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
Re: Do You Believe That...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 11:37:12 AM »
I already decided long ago, since 6th grade, to never walk in anyone's shadow.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 11:44:37 AM »
“What is it that constitutes virtue, Mrs. Graham? Is it the circumstance of being able and willing to resist temptation; or that of having no temptations to resist? - Is he a strong man that overcomes great obstacles and performs surprising achievements, though by dint of great muscular exertion, and at the risk of some subsequent fatigue, or he that sits in his chair all day, with nothing to do more laborious than stirring the fire, and carrying his food to his mouth? If you would have your son to walk honourably through the world, you must not attempt to clear the stones from his path, but teach him to walk firmly over them - not insist upon leading him by the hand, but let him learn to go alone.'

'I will lead him by the hand, Mr. Markham, till he has strength to go alone; and I will clear as many stones from his path as I can, and teach him to avoid the rest - or walk firmly over them, as you say; - for when I have done my utmost, in the way of clearance, there will still be plenty left to exercise all the agility, steadiness, and circumspection he will ever have. - It is all very well to talk about noble resistance, and trials of virtue; but for fifty - or five hundred men that have yielded to temptation, show me one that has had virtue to resist. And why should I take it for granted that my son will be one in a thousand? - and not rather prepare for the worst, and suppose he will be like his - like the rest of mankind, unless I take care to prevent it?”

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/337113.The_Tenant_of_Wildfell_Hall
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Online Jonathan Gress

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 01:02:37 PM »
Funny, my brother was just recommending this book to me. It's about willpower and supposedly incorporates the latest psychological research into how to acquire and maintain self-control. The answers are (according to a review by Steven Pinker) 1) keep practicing self-control (but not too much, lest you get "ego fatigue"), and 2) make sure your glucose levels are sufficiently high.

But seriously, there are so many questions packed into the OP. What if I believe that our children are our future but that how we raise them doesn't really matter and we should just make sure we give them the right genes?

Online Justin Kissel

• Formerly a *, now a ☆
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 01:19:12 PM »
These are the questions of another, far wiser than me. I did think they were something to throw out for discussion though... any particular one I guess, if not all at the same time :)
"Christian America is finally waking up to what fraternities and biker gangs have known for years: hazing works!"

Online Jonathan Gress

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 01:22:37 PM »
These are the questions of another, far wiser than me. I did think they were something to throw out for discussion though... any particular one I guess, if not all at the same time :)

I don't know, to me the questions seem kind of loaded. I mean is there any way to disagree without sounding like a horrible person? "No, I don't believe children are the future. I fully intend to raise them badly and will never show them anything beautiful about themselves." Seriously, you gotta ask some better questions.

Online Justin Kissel

• Formerly a *, now a ☆
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 01:28:26 PM »
Your attempted besmirchment has been noted, and will not be forgotten, I promise you.

:P

Online Jonathan Gress

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 01:30:20 PM »
Your attempted besmirchment has been noted, and will not be forgotten, I promise you.

:P

LOL are you threatening me? I think you're taking this too seriously.

Online Justin Kissel

• Formerly a *, now a ☆
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 01:31:18 PM »
Not at all, hence the sticking-tongue-out emoticon.  :police:

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 01:40:27 PM »
Funny, my brother was just recommending this book to me. It's about willpower and supposedly incorporates the latest psychological research into how to acquire and maintain self-control. The answers are (according to a review by Steven Pinker) 1) keep practicing self-control (but not too much, lest you get "ego fatigue"), and 2) make sure your glucose levels are sufficiently high.

But seriously, there are so many questions packed into the OP. What if I believe that our children are our future but that how we raise them doesn't really matter and we should just make sure we give them the right genes?

Well, then your belief is anti-science, since that's not what science tells us about the psychology of children.
"If only a man desired it for a single day from morning till night, he would be able to come to the measure of God." (Abba Alonius)

Online Jonathan Gress

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 01:41:27 PM »

OK my bad. It's hard to tell without face to face contact sometimes.

Online Jonathan Gress

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 01:42:56 PM »

Well, then your belief is anti-science, since that's not what science tells us about the psychology of children.

I agree: it's a combination of right genes, right parental upbringing and right peer group influence. I was just throwing that out as an alternative. There's a lot of sentimental and self-serving advice out there peddled to over-protective parents who think that if they make one slip their child's future is ruined forever.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2015, 01:48:02 PM »

I agree: it's a combination of right genes, right parental upbringing and right peer group influence. I was just throwing that out as an alternative. There's a lot of sentimental and self-serving advice out there peddled to over-protective parents who think that if they make one slip their child's future is ruined forever.

That's certainly true.
"If only a man desired it for a single day from morning till night, he would be able to come to the measure of God." (Abba Alonius)

Online Alxandra

• Faith: Greek Orthodox
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2015, 01:51:35 PM »
Children are our future, and early childhood is crucial. This is why it's important to raise them in the truth. Children will be strong adults if we give them a good foundation.

"What saves and makes for good children is the life of the parents in the home. The parents need to devote themselves to the love of God. They need to become saints in their relations to their children through their mildness, patience, and love. They need to make a new start every day, with a fresh outlook, renewed enthusiasm and love for their children. And the joy that will come to them, the holiness that will visit them, will shower grace on their children. Generally the parents are to blame for the bad behavior of the children. And their behavior is not improved by reprimands, disciplining, or strictness. If the parents do not pursue a life of holiness and if they don’t engage in spiritual struggle, they make great mistakes and transmit the faults they have within them. If the parents do not live a holy life and do not display love towards each other, the devil torments the parents with the reactions of the children. Love, harmony and understanding between parents are what are required for the children. This provides a great sense of security and certainty.”
–St. Porphyrios

"Everyone should help the children, each person in their own way, with their good example, so that the children may be regenerated, live peacefully in the life and ultimately go to Paradise. When children see their parents have love and respect for one another, behaving with prudence, praying, and so on, then these positive images are imprinted on their soul. This is why I say that the best inheritance the parents can bestow upon their children is their own spiritual devotion."
–Elder Paisios
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2015, 02:19:54 PM »

I think you're also not getting what he's asking....meaning, YOU'RE the one taking it too seriously.    ;)

Online Jonathan Gress

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2015, 02:24:12 PM »

I think you're also not getting what he's asking....meaning, YOU'RE the one taking it too seriously.    ;)

That's very likely. I don't have any idea what he's asking!

Offline Skydive

• High Elder
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »
Yes Yes, as long as it is showing also the proper value of appreciation.
"I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."

Robert Green Ingersoll

Offline Porter ODoran

• "In this lies piety: not doubting the God-bearing fathers."
  • Protokentarchos
  • Erst Amish Appalachian
    • Facebook page
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Catechumen
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 03:09:32 PM »

::)
In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2015, 04:56:36 PM »
OK...I believe I'll let the cat out of the bad on this thread now.   :)

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/whitneyhouston/greatestloveofall.html

Our class had to sing this for 6th grade graduation.  I had no idea what it meant at the time.

Offline Porter ODoran

• "In this lies piety: not doubting the God-bearing fathers."
  • Protokentarchos
  • Erst Amish Appalachian
    • Facebook page
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Catechumen
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2015, 05:56:40 PM »
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:56:53 PM by Porter ODoran »
In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus

Online Justin Kissel

• Formerly a *, now a ☆
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 08:52:05 PM »
We have a tie... someone please break it so we know the answer!