Author Topic: The Church of Elbonia  (Read 106 times)

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
The Church of Elbonia
« on: October 28, 2016, 01:17:51 PM »

the inhabitants (aside from the occasional sentient pig) all have heavy beards and clothing similar to Orthodox Christian monks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dilbert#Elbonia

In "Plop", the "Church of Elbonia" is mentioned as the main religion in Elbonia (possibly a reference to Anglicanism) which deliberately mixes the faith's religious and financial aspects.
http://en.academic.ru/dic.nsf/enwiki/253596

Anonymous Ringer: Elbonia,

albeit [the comics' author] Adams has repeatedly denied that he has a certain country in mind. Elbonia is just how he thinks most Americans see the rest of the world (or at least "countries without cable TV"): as backwards idiots wading around in mud.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ComicStrip/Dilbert

in Elbonia we were sharing the same approach to Scripture that we teach in the workshops here.  The learning curve was steep, but it is here as well.  One of the men told me that the reason that they did not engage with the Bible this way and would have challenges applying what we were sharing is that all Elbonians were lazy.  He said they would rather be told what the text said that figure it out for themselves.

My response to him was that all of the people I know in the United States must be Elbonian.  Laziness is not the exclusive domain of Elbonians or Americans.  It is human nature.  We do not like to expend effort.  We would much rather have someone tells us the answer than figure it out ourselves, we would rather use a remote than get up to change the channel, etc. The problem with all of that is that the one who does the work is the one who benefits.  It is in the struggle with trying to comprehend what the Spirit of God is saying in the Word of God that He shows up and leads us into truth. So we all need to abandon our Elbonian tendency to laziness and engage in the hard work of seeking God in His Word.
http://dadsteachthebible.blogspot.com/2013/08/elbonians.html
Big problem with this is that if you are working to think up what the Bible means and not focusing on what Christians taught in the first few centuries AD, you are practically going it alone and can end up in weird places.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 01:18:15 PM by rakovsky »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• "Mor has a huge ego"
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Abp Yeznik Petrosian Defender of the Faith
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: The Church of Elbonia
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 01:21:04 PM »
What the hell is this?
Quote from: Fr Alexander Schmemann
The Gospel is quite clear: both saints and sinners love God. "Religious" people do not love him, and whenever they can, they crucify him.

Of course, OC.net is not reflective of the Church, but is rather a surreal bubble. I have visited a lot of different parishes around the world and have listened to many hours of AFR...

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 01:24:48 PM »
Randomness, diversion. A silly thread. Not for serious debate.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 01:31:00 PM »
But what does the Elbonian Church teach about yoga?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 01:48:33 PM »
I think they are skeptical. But since they are in Eastern Europe they don't have the same experience (1900+ years) that the Indian Orthodox do.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 02:14:24 PM »
I think they are skeptical. But since they are in Eastern Europe they don't have the same experience (1900+ years) that the Indian Orthodox do.

This would seem to be somewhat inaccurate. Yoga was a discipline originally devised by the ancient Greeks, to help hone their prowess in battle. Men coming home from war then continued these practices when they transitioned to athletics, and their competitors quickly followed suit. From there it did indeed spread to India with Alexander the Great, but also Nubia and Eastern Europe at about the same time.