Author Topic: 2017: eminently useful words that should be brought back to enrich our language  (Read 199 times)

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
2017 Top 10 from Word Warriors

As part of its initiative to draw attention to some of the English language's most expressive — yet regrettably neglected — words, Wayne State University has released its annual list of the year's top 10 words that deserve to be used more often in conversation and prose...

Offline William T

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
 Anfractious, Bombinate, and Guttle are words I don't think I come across at all.   Of them I'm not sure I know the later two words.

Either way,  most of these words ought be used with some discernment. Some words "cost" more to use than others  One can think of words that ought not be used very often such as enormity, awesome, and so forth that are ruined by far to common use.

Mugwump, stultify, and blithering I don't think are that uncommon are they?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 07:12:01 PM by William T »

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
I like "jaded".
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Online Justin Kolodziej

• High Elder
  • St. John Koukouzeles
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
We could be using "acedia" frequently on this very board, it being one of the Orthodox 8 Bad Thoughts and all but usually replaced by "despondency".  ;)
Quote from: Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
Only one person who is prayerfully connected to God is needed, and we will have peace everywhere -- in the family, at work, in the government, and everywhere.