OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 07:01:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancient Christian Commentary  (Read 765 times) Average Rating: 0
Twenty Nine

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of America

« on: January 18, 2005, 10:50:16 AM »

I recently picked up a book called Reading Scripture with the Church Fathers by Christopher Hall. This book is sort of an introduction to the new Ancient Christian Commentary series published by Inter Varsity Press.

Has anyone read anything from this new series?

What I have read seems pretty good. It seems that the book is addressed to Evangelicals, calling them to return to the Fathers for a guide to reading Scripture.

Gregory

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. - Philippians 4:8
francis

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 11:16:35 AM »

Years ago, I signed up to have these books delivered to me as they were published. I guess I have all of the published ones - about 14 or 15 now.

The series is good, considering it's source. It is a great way for evangelicals to recognize the beauty of the early Church writings. I think at times by the selection of texts that the series minimizes some of the more "catholic" aspects of the writings, but not in a major way.

I use them as a reference when I'm studying a section of Scripture. I look it up in the series and first see what some of the Fathers had to say about it. Even though I've read a great deal of the Fathers, it still amazes me every time I read their interpretations of the Scriptures - our modern interpretations are so barren!

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: