OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 12:03:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should I even bother to try?  (Read 3529 times) Average Rating: 5
anonymous

Faith: Protestant
Jurisdiction: Anon

« on: May 12, 2013, 03:47:07 PM »

Hello,

Let me give you all a brief background of my life. I was baptized Coptic orthodox but grew up attending both the protestant and Coptic orthodox church. (Dad was protestant, mom was Coptic orthodox.) I want to inform the reader that this did not harshly impact my life at all. I grew up in a loving caring family, and we all attended both churches regularly. Yes, my Sundays consisted of Coptic church in the morning, followed by protestant church in the evening. And yes, Sundays was not a day i would look forward to as a child, considering i was in church for half the day.
      None the less, looking back at it now, I'm glad i went through that experience since i got to be indulged into both cultures and both styles of worshiping the father. I completely understand the differences between both of these radically different sectors of Christianity, But at the same time i also understand that the fundamental core of both faiths are the same and will never change. At the age of ten, i leaned over to being protestant, a decision my parents respected, and have mainly attended protestant church ever since. I still visit the orthodox church and enjoy their biblical studies as well as their liturgy from time to time. They know my story very well, and have accepted me into their group, something most Orthodox churches wouldn't do with a "protestant kid".  I am good friends with most of the youth there and have grown close with almost all of them.
        I know marrying a girl from the Coptic Church would be difficult considering my situation. But how difficult would it be? I'm hoping i can find someone on here, that has gone through my experiences and can explain to me the hurdles and struggles i will probably have to endure in order to marry a Coptic girl. I am mainly just looking for advice in hopes to make better decisions on how to approach this dilemma.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 03:52:34 PM »

Hello,I am mainly just looking for advice in hopes to make better decisions on how to approach this dilemma.

The best thing would be to return to the Orthodox Church.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
anonymous

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:04:44 PM »

I hope to not come off as rude. But, why is my only option to go back to the Orthodox Church?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 04:05:11 PM by anonymous » Logged
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 04:15:23 PM »

I know marrying a girl from the Coptic Church would be difficult considering my situation. But how difficult would it be? I'm hoping i can find someone on here, that has gone through my experiences and can explain to me the hurdles and struggles i will probably have to endure in order to marry a Coptic girl. I am mainly just looking for advice in hopes to make better decisions on how to approach this dilemma.

I'm not Coptic, but of the same faith.  May I ask why you are interested in marrying a Coptic girl? 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 04:28:13 PM »

difficult to answer without knowing more details, but i think it would be good to (if u didn't already) tell God that you would like to know the depths of His love and that you are willing to do anything to achieve that goal.

then be prepared for a long and difficult, but beautiful spiritual journey.

coz sorting out your spiritual life with God is the most important thing to do. once u have done that, deciding how / when / with who to get married should not be too tricky.

if u had told me 10 years ago, i was going to be an orthodox Christian, i would have fallen on the floor with shock!
but, here i am, and it started with a longing for something deeper and a surprise recommendation of an orthodox church from a friend who follows a different religion.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 04:35:18 PM »

I hope to not come off as rude. But, why is my only option to go back to the Orthodox Church?

The first question to ask yourself would be if she's willing to live with a divided religious family (e.g. you as Protestant and she as Coptic Orthodox)?

Second question - would you want to convert her to Protestant faith?

Third question - if you have children - would you expose them to both faiths as the case with your upbringing?

If you, ahem, found your way back to the Coptic Orthodox Church, then some of the questions are answered or go away completely.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 04:51:27 PM »

But at the same time i also understand that the fundamental core of both faiths are the same and will never change

In your opinion, what is that fundamental core?

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 05:00:20 PM »

Yes, trying makes all the difference.
anonymous

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 05:18:55 PM »

But at the same time i also understand that the fundamental core of both faiths are the same and will never change

Fundamental core of Christianity is:

There is only one God (Isaiah 43:10; 44:6, 8; John 17:3; 1 Corinthians 8:5-6; Galatians 4:8-9).
God is three in one or a Trinity (Matthew 3:16-17, 28:19; John 14:16-17; 2 Corinthians 13:14; Acts 2:32-33, John 10:30,17:11, 21; 1 Peter 1:2).
God is omniscient or "knows all things" (Acts 15:18; 1 John 3:20).
God is omnipotent or "all powerful" (Psalm 115:3; Revelation 19:6).
God is omnipresent or "present everywhere" (Jeremiah 23:23, 24; Psalm 139).
God is sovereign (Zechariah 9:14; 1 Timothy 6:15-16).
God is holy (1 Peter 1:15).
God is just or "righteous" (Psalm 19:9, 116:5, 145:17; Jeremiah 12:1).
God is love (1 John 4
God is true (Romans 3:4; John 14:6).
God is spirit (John 4:24).
God is the creator of everything that exists (Genesis 1:1; Isaiah 44:24).
God is infinite and eternal. He has always been God (Psalm 90:2; Genesis 21:33; Acts 17:24).
God is immutable. He does not change (James 1:17; Malachi 3:6; Isaiah 46:9-10).
The Holy Spirit is God (Acts 5:3-4; 1 Corinthians 2:11-12; 2 Corinthians 13:14).
Jesus Christ is God (John 1:1, 14, 10:30-33, 20:28; Colossians 2:9; Philippians 2:5-8; Hebrews 1:
Jesus became a man (Philippians 2:1-11).
Jesus is fully God and fully man (Colossians 2:9; 1 Timothy 2:5; Hebrews 4:15; 2 Corinthians 5:21).
Jesus was sinless (1 Peter 2:22; Hebrews 4:15).
Jesus is the only way to God the Father (John 14:6; Matthew 11:27; Luke 10:22).
Man was created by God in the image of God (Genesis 1:26-27).
All people have sinned (Romans 3:23, 5:12).
Death came into the world through Adam's sin (Romans 5:12-15).
Sin separates us from God (Isaiah 59:2).
Jesus died for the sins of each and every person in the world (1 John 2:2; 2 Corinthians 5:14; 1 Peter 2:24).
Jesus' death was a substitutionary sacrifice. He died and paid the price for our sins, so that we might live. (1 Peter 2:24; Matthew 20:28; Mark 10:45).
Jesus resurrected from the dead in physical form (John 2:19-21).
Salvation is a free gift of God (Romans 4:5, 6:23; Ephesians 2:8-9; 1 John 1:8-10).
The Bible is the "inspired" or "God-breathed," Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:21).
Those who reject Jesus Christ, after they die, will go to hell forever (Revelation 20:11-15, 21:
Those who accept Jesus Christ, after they die, will live for eternity with Him (John 11:25, 26; 2 Corinthians 5:6).
Hell is a place of punishment (Matthew 25:41, 46; Revelation 19:20).
Hell is eternal (Matthew 25:46).
There will be a rapture of the church (Matthew 24:30-36, 40-41; John 14:1-3; 1 Corinthians 15:51-52; 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17; 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12).
Jesus will return to the earth (Acts 1:11).

These are the fundamental cores of which both churches accept.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 05:21:39 PM by anonymous » Logged
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 05:22:24 PM »

Where did that list come from?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 05:25:34 PM »

He didn't say your only option was to go back to the Orthodox Church. He merely said that was your best option.
Ashman618
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 05:26:21 PM »

There was no death before Adam sinned?
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 05:28:59 PM »

There is only one God (Isaiah 43:10; 44:6, 8; John 17:3; 1 Corinthians 8:5-6; Galatians 4:8-9).
God is three in one or a Trinity (Matthew 3:16-17, 28:19; John 14:16-17; 2 Corinthians 13:14; Acts 2:32-33, John 10:30,17:11, 21; 1 Peter 1:2).
God is love (1 John 4
God is infinite and eternal. He has always been God (Psalm 90:2; Genesis 21:33; Acts 17:24).
The Holy Spirit is God (Acts 5:3-4; 1 Corinthians 2:11-12; 2 Corinthians 13:14).
Jesus Christ is God (John 1:1, 14, 10:30-33, 20:28; Colossians 2:9; Philippians 2:5-8; Hebrews 1:
Jesus is fully God and fully man (Colossians 2:9; 1 Timothy 2:5; Hebrews 4:15; 2 Corinthians 5:21).
Jesus died for the sins of each and every person in the world (1 John 2:2; 2 Corinthians 5:14; 1 Peter 2:24).
Jesus' death was a substitutionary sacrifice. He died and paid the price for our sins, so that we might live. (1 Peter 2:24; Matthew 20:28; Mark 10:45).
Salvation is a free gift of God (Romans 4:5, 6:23; Ephesians 2:8-9; 1 John 1:8-10).
The Bible is the "inspired" or "God-breathed," Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16; 2 Peter 1:21).
Those who reject Jesus Christ, after they die, will go to hell forever (Revelation 20:11-15, 21:
Those who accept Jesus Christ, after they die, will live for eternity with Him (John 11:25, 26; 2 Corinthians 5:6).
There will be a rapture of the church (Matthew 24:30-36, 40-41; John 14:1-3; 1 Corinthians 15:51-52; 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17; 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12).

If you copied this from an online source, copyright law requires that you give proper credit to your source. A link to your source will be enough. Please provide this link to me via private message within the next 72 hours.

Thanks.

-PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 05:32:56 PM »

Coptic Orthodoxy does not accept the idea that the core of it and Protestantism are the same. It sees itself as the one true church and Protestantism as separated from that church.

What church were your parents married in?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
anonymous

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 05:38:33 PM »

The first question to ask yourself would be if she's willing to live with a divided religious family (e.g. you as Protestant and she as Coptic Orthodox)?

Third question - if you have children - would you expose them to both faiths as the case with your upbringing?

If you, ahem, found your way back to the Coptic Orthodox Church, then some of the questions are answered or go away completely.

To answer your first question, i don't look at this as a division. As pointed out in my initial comment, i grew up in this so called "division" you speak of.  It didn't feel like a division at all, i was worshiping God and speaking to him from two different churches. Eluding to my previous comment on the fundamental cores of both churches, we worshiped and prayed to the same God. There wasn't a division in my mind.

Question 2: No i would not want her to convert to protestant, just like me I choose my faith based upon where i was able to connect with the father. This next comment might spark some debate, but i was unable to connect with god in the Orthodox Church. Yes i sat through the liturgy and stayed during the mass, but that PERSONAL relationship with Christ was not there. This relationship that i have with my father and my daily prayer to him is because of my attendance to the Protestant church. And this is precisely how i made my decision when i was 10 years old. If she can honestly say that she is a christian (a true follower of Christ) by attending an orthodox church, than why would i want her to convert? Can you see where i am going with this?

Question 3: Yes, if i have children that is exactly what i would do. To most of you this sounds crazy. I have the most wonderful relationship with my heavenly father right now, and i consider myself a true disciple to his word. I only say this since no one on here knows who i am, so i say it not to boast but to confirm my faith in Christ. The reason i mention this is to show that my style of upbringing has given me the opportunity to have that personal relationship with Christ, a relationship that many people who call themselves Christians lack. So in short, I would like to give my children that same opportunity.

Keep in mind that salvation was not for the Orthodox Christians, but Jesus came down for all of man kind.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 05:51:46 PM »

Question 3: Yes, if i have children that is exactly what i would do. To most of you this sounds crazy.

Not only that, but it would be a canonical impediment to marriage in most Eastern Orthodox jurisdictions, and I can only imagine Coptic Orthodoxy being even more stringent.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2013, 09:23:19 AM »

Just glancing through your list, I think the EO and OO churches would dispute these as being common beliefs.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2013, 09:31:19 AM »

Reviewing your posts, anonymous, I would suggest you do the Coptic girl a favor, and just leave her alone to find a nice Coptic Orthodox boy.  

Why add drama to her life?

I'm baffled that you wish to remain Protestant...want to marry an Orthodox, and raise your kids as both.

I think you have underlying confusion with your own faith, and are drawn to Orthodoxy, but, some reason are afraid to admit it, even to yourself.  Otherwise, why are you in search of an Orthodox girl?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 09:32:39 AM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2013, 09:34:59 AM »

Just glancing through your list, I think the EO and OO churches would dispute these as being common beliefs.

Yes, my eyebrow was raised a little at the idea that the 'Rapture' was a core Christian belief that EO and OO should agree with. Many (most?) Protestant churches wouldn't even agree with that one.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2013, 10:57:44 AM »

http://christianity.about.com/od/christiandoctrines/a/basicdoctrines.htm

You are receiving this warning of 30 days for posting a naked link even after you received a number of warnings already to stop posting naked links. If you think this action wrong, please PM me.

- PeterTheAleut

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 11:04:15 AM »

No. Orthodoxy does not accept the Rapture theory, for example. There are other ridiculous statements on that list but I'll limit myself to this one for now.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 11:06:28 AM »

Please tell us what point you hope to communicate by posting this otherwise naked link.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 11:08:05 AM »

I really liked believing he just typed all that stuff out off the top of his head.

Yours's a cynical generation.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 11:11:52 AM »

Please tell us what point you hope to communicate by posting this otherwise naked link.
I was providing the source you requested.

PeterTheAleut
Protospatharios

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 11:13:50 AM »

I was providing the source you requested.
The source I requested from anonymous? Please don't cover for him. Let him provide the source himself.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 11:15:27 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 11:32:21 AM »

I really liked believing he just typed all that stuff out off the top of his head.

Yours's a cynical generation.

laugh

I literally laughed out loud at this comment.  I think my coworkers are looking at me strange now.

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 02:15:43 PM »

To answer your first question, i don't look at this as a division. As pointed out in my initial comment, i grew up in this so called "division" you speak of.  It didn't feel like a division at all, i was worshiping God and speaking to him from two different churches. Eluding to my previous comment on the fundamental cores of both churches, we worshiped and prayed to the same God. There wasn't a division in my mind.

Does your Protestant church offer the Eucharist?  How are Orthodox different than the Protestants, in your opinion?

Question 2: No i would not want her to convert to protestant, just like me I choose my faith based upon where i was able to connect with the father. This next comment might spark some debate, but i was unable to connect with god in the Orthodox Church. Yes i sat through the liturgy and stayed during the mass, but that PERSONAL relationship with Christ was not there. This relationship that i have with my father and my daily prayer to him is because of my attendance to the Protestant church. And this is precisely how i made my decision when i was 10 years old. If she can honestly say that she is a christian (a true follower of Christ) by attending an orthodox church, than why would i want her to convert? Can you see where i am going with this?

Not really....   Were there other factors that led you to the Protestant church at a young age?

Question 3: Yes, if i have children that is exactly what i would do. To most of you this sounds crazy. I have the most wonderful relationship with my heavenly father right now, and i consider myself a true disciple to his word. I only say this since no one on here knows who i am, so i say it not to boast but to confirm my faith in Christ. The reason i mention this is to show that my style of upbringing has given me the opportunity to have that personal relationship with Christ, a relationship that many people who call themselves Christians lack. So in short, I would like to give my children that same opportunity.

It's been discussed here about "personal" relationships one can have with God, with Jesus, etc.

Keep in mind that salvation was not for the Orthodox Christians, but Jesus came down for all of man kind.

Jesus also prayed that all may be one just as We are one (John 17:22).  I don't see the divisions into Roman Catholicism and Protestantism as fulfilling Jesus' prayer even though Roman Catholics and Protestants use this piece of Scripture in hope of some type of unity - unity of what - all faiths, all men?
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 02:22:57 PM »

We have a saying in the Netherlands:

Two religions on one bed - the devil sleeps in between.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:23:48 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 02:26:43 PM »

Yeah, that probably has its origin in marrying Jews or something given your country's history. So I wouldn't sweat this situation too much.

'Sides, save once or twice in the history of the world, when hasn't the devil been in the bed of anyone sleeping with another?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:26:59 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2013, 02:28:44 PM »

Yeah, that probably has its origin in marrying Jews or something given your country's history. So I wouldn't sweat this situation too much.

It actually originated with Protestant-Roman Catholic marriages. Pillarisation and all that.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2013, 02:44:28 PM »

Twee geloven op één kussen, daar slaapt de duivel tussen.

Maybe the first saying we learned in Dutch class.  Grin
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2013, 02:45:33 PM »

Smiley

The saying sounds so much better in Dutch and is sadly almost intranslatable. The rhyme is wholly lost.

I'm positively impressed, Romaios.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:46:21 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
rachel
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christian

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2013, 02:54:29 PM »

God is love (1 John 4

Amen. Smiley

Sola Gratia, Sola Fide, Solo Christo, Soli Deo Gloria,   Sola Scriptura
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2013, 02:58:21 PM »

I think reciting the Nicene Creed is a much better explanation of the fundamental core of Christianity instead of some list made up by an author on christianity.about.com
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:58:44 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2013, 03:03:03 PM »

Especially since it implies that classical theist claims are expressed in prooftexts from ancient Semitic literature.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 03:03:30 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2013, 03:08:25 PM »

Smiley

The saying sounds so much better in Dutch and is sadly almost intranslatable.

You have to be kidding . . .

In five seconds:

In the bed of separate creed is where the devil sows his seed.

Feel free to improve to upon it.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2013, 03:18:46 PM »

That's not a very precise translation, but it gets the message across.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2013, 04:29:06 PM »

Nope. Copts, please correct if I'm wrong but I believe that list lacks a lots of things like the Church, sacraments, Saints etc. which are all part of fundamental core too.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 04:29:48 PM by Alpo » Logged

Jovan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2013, 05:21:02 PM »

To be really honest towards yourself and the claim you made about the faiths having the same core, which I probably agree with. Ask Pope Tawadros II about your question and explain your situation, if you are honest towards your own claim then you´ll be honest when he gives you a response Tongue

2 different things with the same core doesn´t make them identical things in any way. There are christians in the philippines who every year literally crucify 2-3 volunteers through their hands only. In the same stance as Christ used to hang they truly remind themselves of Gods unconditional love through his Son Jesus Christ as he suffered. Same core of the faiths right? =)

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
Jovan
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2013, 05:22:31 PM »

Please forgive me if i sounded disrespectful in any way, didn´t mean anything personally but the claim could be interpreted wrongly, that´s why i commented. 

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
Jovan
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2013, 05:27:23 PM »

So with all due respect to your question my answer as an serbian orthodox brother, the expression of the same core is very different so that´s why the lifestyles in a long-term relationship would differ very much. As the family is very much the "little" church before God we ought to unify ourselves in such a way that nothing becomes disputable between family members. As how to pray, when, when to celebrate Christs birth, resurrection etc etc. Many things, if they would matter to the family, would in the end split it up instead of bringing it together.

Jovan
High Elder

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2013, 05:33:35 PM »

One typical example in the "common" core of the faiths would be saints for example. Martin Luther, the core founder of Protestantism actually saw saints as people being put beside God in worship :S So being a protestant would in its true meaning be to scream idolater to a coptic christian when he/she venerates an icon of a saint. Praise God though as many protestants don´t know the true meaning of their church or its founders knowledge =)

Jovan
High Elder

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2013, 05:34:34 PM »

And once again, please forgive me if i in any way made a harmful or personal statement, which I tried to avoid.

anonymous

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2013, 08:30:52 PM »

Lets start from the beginning, let me get this straight. So what you guys are saying is in order to be granted salvation and enter heaven, i have to be Orthodox. Please correct me if i am wrong, and NO protestant will be granted salvation? Everyone is kind of beating around the bush on this subject. If this is true, can someone just directly say it while giving reasoning and explanation.
anonymous

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2013, 08:32:28 PM »

And once again, please forgive me if i in any way made a harmful or personal statement, which I tried to avoid.

Jovan, i highly appreciate your respect for me in your replies. Thank you. Can you please pose an answer to the question i stated above?
Tags: marriage 
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: