OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 17, 2014, 12:03:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are The Differences?  (Read 403 times) Average Rating: 0
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« on: May 11, 2013, 09:07:59 PM »

http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/ortho_cath.html

This question has been asked many times. Most Orthodox, in attempting to distinguish between Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism, usually mention the Pope or Purgatory, sometimes the filioque. Historically, the differences, however, are far more numerous and quite profound.

While this specifically addresses the differences between Orthodoxy and Catholicism, it also addresses many topics we debate here and clarifies them.  I thought it interesting and wanted to share.

As I understand, there is some controversy surrounding the author, but I know little about him.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 09:18:25 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 02:19:43 AM »

No thoughts?
Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 06:17:07 AM »

Some are valid, others less so. Is the whole azyme-thing really that important?

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

Πρὸς δὲ τὸν ἀξιοῦντα δημοκρατίαν ἐν τῇ πόλει καταστήσασθαι ὁ Λυκοῦργος εἶπε 'σὺ πρῶτος ἐν τῇ οἰκίᾳ σου ποίησον δημοκρατίαν.'
-Lycurgus
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 08:20:29 AM »

I just found it interesting as it mentioned several things we discuss on a regular basis.  I was wondering what others thought.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 03:52:58 PM »

Well, azymes were anathematized as being Appollinarian. You could challenge the holy fathers on that. I'm sure they'll get back to you.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Cyrillic
Taxiarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Moscow

The Reactionary Rebel

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 03:53:54 PM »

Well, azymes were anathematized as being Appollinarian. You could challenge the holy fathers on that. I'm sure they'll get back to you.

I recant.

Odi profanum vulgus et arceo

"J'ai pour les institutions démocratiques un goût de tête, mais je suis aristocrate par instinct"
-A. de Tocqueville

Πρὸς δὲ τὸν ἀξιοῦντα δημοκρατίαν ἐν τῇ πόλει καταστήσασθαι ὁ Λυκοῦργος εἶπε 'σὺ πρῶτος ἐν τῇ οἰκίᾳ σου ποίησον δημοκρατίαν.'
-Lycurgus
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 03:57:52 PM »

I recant.

Didn't mean to be cheeky with you.

You can find the anathema in the Synodikon of Orthodoxy, IIRC. AFAIK, the only Christians using azymes early on were the Armenians--and possibly before Chalcedon. The Latins did not adopt azymes until the 8th or 9th century. I don't think they suddenly adopted Appollinarianism then. My guess is it was the result of confusion combined with pastoral issues, but that's just a shot in the dark.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 04:27:33 PM »

Too polemical. I think it takes some issues to extremes that either create straw-men or deny the use of things that don't necessarily have to be mutually exclusive to the Orthodox faith. FWIW, he lists the presence/absence of beards among clergy as a difference and the priest where I've been attending does not have a beard. It's not my intention to speak less than positively about something written by an Orthodox priest or OCF for posting it on their website, but I personally don't think it's a good resource.

Just my opinion.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 06:32:58 PM »

No thoughts?

It is entirely inadequate and misleading. Significant errors in almost every section, especially the first four. The problem with these and other such arguments put forth on a popular level online is that they show no real knowledge of Roman Catholic theology. Shadow boxing with an imagined opponent.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 06:47:05 PM »

No thoughts?

It is entirely inadequate and misleading. Significant errors in almost every section, especially the first four. The problem with these and other such arguments put forth on a popular level online is that they show no real knowledge of Roman Catholic theology. Shadow boxing with an imagined opponent.

Who else would you shadow box with?

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
LenInSebastopol

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 02:30:22 PM »

No thoughts?
Shadow boxing with an imagined opponent.

Who else would you shadow box with?

Speaking out of pure ignorance, as in not viewing yet and my own stupidity, I think the word "religion" meant "to bind together" or "to re-align with", and I find reasons to separate us from one another a justification to hate and kill. At least rationally and historically speaking, don't you?

So I read about a minute AND my bad animal mood follows me : St. Basil the Great didn't know beans about bees.
They collect pollen & nectar and then process them to "make" honey, just as MEN have taken the Word of God and made their own ignorance and judgment on their brothers in order to behave as Cain did with Able.

The good Father's characterization of both churches can stand the test of argumentation, however Orthodoxy has taught me during Great Lent that much of what we do and say IS prideful, sinful and distracts us from the work that He calls us to do, daily.
Or may I should just put reading the rest of his position off until my mood changes, so help me God! Or is it by helping me I should go outside and continue Spring planting and tending my hives?! In either case YES is the answer!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 02:52:53 PM by LenInSebastopol » Logged

Mark 14: 36

God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: