OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 10:35:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eastern Catholic converts  (Read 2313 times) Average Rating: 0
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« on: May 11, 2013, 05:38:36 PM »

Does regular everyday Eastern Catholic parishes receive any converts? Internet seems to be filled with stories about conversions to Roman Catholicism and how some RCs found their way to Eastern Catholicism but I haven't stumbled any stories like "Yay! Catholicism is awesome so I decided to join a Chaldean parish."

Gorazd
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 06:12:56 PM »

Does regular everyday Eastern Catholic parishes receive any converts? Internet seems to be filled with stories about conversions to Roman Catholicism and how some RCs found their way to Eastern Catholicism but I haven't stumbled any stories like "Yay! Catholicism is awesome so I decided to join a Chaldean parish."

Guess it depends where. In Ukraine, Greek Catholicism is the dominant form of being in communion with Rome. And they do receive converts.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 07:18:55 PM »

I know of a couple, but they're very quiet about it, and don't spend much time online. 
(Strangely enough, there are still people in the world who don't feel the need to share their every thought on social networking sites. Weirdos.  Wink )

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 07:19:26 PM »

I converted from secular Judaism/not-much-of-anything directly into the Eastern Catholic Church.  I'm pretty sure I was the first convert that parish had.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 10:12:32 PM »

Does regular everyday Eastern Catholic parishes receive any converts?

It does happen, though perhaps not very much.

I think there's a general assumption that protestants, even ones that might be interestied in Catholicism, wouldn't be interested in Eastern Catholicism.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 10:14:20 PM »

I know of a couple, but they're very quiet about it, and don't spend much time online. 
(Strangely enough, there are still people in the world who don't feel the need to share their every thought on social networking sites. Weirdos.  Wink )

That is weird.  Shocked (If it's true; we shouldn't rule out the possibility that they're just pretending.)

laugh

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 10:18:41 PM »

I've seen some posting on various forums, but that probably doesn't speak for the average parish.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 11:53:55 AM »

That is weird.  Shocked (If it's true; we shouldn't rule out the possibility that they're just pretending.)

laugh

You're joking ... right? I have trouble telling, sometimes.  Grin

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 07:19:38 PM »

laugh

You're joking ... right?

Why would you think that? Cheesy  Grin

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 09:48:23 PM »

I do not understand why a person would not go full Catholic or Orthodox.  What causes a person to want to be in communion with Rome but not be Roman Catholic or not want to be Roman Catholic yet be in communion with Rome?
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 09:51:24 PM »

I do not understand why a person would not go full Catholic or Orthodox.  What causes a person to want to be in communion with Rome but not be Roman Catholic or not want to be Roman Catholic yet be in communion with Rome?

You do know there are 7 different rites in the Catholic Church, and that not everyone who's in communion with Rome is (or is required to be) Latin Rite ... ?  Huh
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 09:52:08 PM by theistgal » Logged

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 10:01:59 PM »

I do not understand why a person would not go full Catholic or Orthodox.  What causes a person to want to be in communion with Rome but not be Roman Catholic or not want to be Roman Catholic yet be in communion with Rome?

You do know there are 7 different rites in the Catholic Church, and that not everyone who's in communion with Rome is (or is required to be) Latin Rite ... ?  Huh
No, I didn't.  Since you asked this, I am going to assume it is a precursor to an explanation.  I know very little about Eastern Catholics.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:04:04 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 10:04:07 PM »

lol.  weirdos worthy of praise. 
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 10:14:36 PM »

I actually just met a couple recently that are Ruthenian Catholics. The guy was in RCIA in Latin parish, but IIRC stopped and was eventually received into his significant other's EC parish. Either way he went from Protestant to Eastern Catholic (not just as a marriage-conversion either, even if introduced through her), so more or less fits the OP.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 11:57:24 PM »

Guess it depends where. In Ukraine, Greek Catholicism is the dominant form of being in communion with Rome. And they do receive converts.
That they do.  And push for-despite what is said to the contrary.

It dominants only the three core UGCC oblasts.  Elsewhere in Ukraine, their Latin rite dominates their communion, IRCC (I'm too tired at present to check).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 11:58:19 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2013, 12:00:57 AM »

I do not understand why a person would not go full Catholic or Orthodox.  What causes a person to want to be in communion with Rome but not be Roman Catholic or not want to be Roman Catholic yet be in communion with Rome?

Soooooooo?  No one has anything...  Alrighty then.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 12:02:35 AM »

Soooooooo?  No one has anything...  Alrighty then.

What does that question even mean?  What is "full Catholic" or "full Orthodox"? 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 12:08:02 AM »

Soooooooo?  No one has anything...  Alrighty then.

What does that question even mean?  What is "full Catholic" or "full Orthodox"?  

It means nothing.  Disregard.  It was a horrible mistake for me to attempt to understand something and ask for clarification here.  I should have known better. 
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 12:09:03 AM by Kerdy » Logged
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 06:27:11 AM »

That they do.  And push for-despite what is said to the contrary.

It dominants only the three core UGCC oblasts.  Elsewhere in Ukraine, their Latin rite dominates their communion, IRCC (I'm too tired at present to check).

IIRC, Ethiopia.
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 08:03:44 AM »

If an EO or an OO were to convert to Catholicism, he/she is expected to join the corresponding Eastern/Oriental Catholic Church and maintain his rite - this is the default canonical procedure. Nevertheless, lots of people would get a dispensation from the bishop and join the Latin rite. This is what most Romanian converts to Catholicism do anyway, despite the dwindling numbers of the Greek-Catholics here.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:06:58 AM by Romaios » Logged
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 08:43:29 AM »

If an EO or an OO were to convert to Catholicism, he/she is expected to join the corresponding Eastern/Oriental Catholic Church and maintain his rite - this is the default canonical procedure. Nevertheless, lots of people would get a dispensation from the bishop and join the Latin rite. This is what most Romanian converts to Catholicism do anyway, despite the dwindling numbers of the Greek-Catholics here.

Do you know why they decide to go Latin?
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 08:52:54 AM »

Because they hate being Orthodox/the Byzantine rite. They see the Latin Novus Ordo rite as more "civilized" and convenient, basically because services are shorter and less repetitious.

These folks are often the parvenu type. For them, whatever is foreign and modern is better than the indigenous and traditional alternative.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:04:32 AM by Romaios » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 10:32:44 AM »

Because they hate being Orthodox/the Byzantine rite. They see the Latin Novus Ordo rite as more "civilized" and convenient, basically because services are shorter and less repetitious.

These folks are often the parvenu type. For them, whatever is foreign and modern is better than the indigenous and traditional alternative.
Yeah, grass is always greener/familiarity breeds contempt types.  Interesting, they all go to the Vatican.  Not many go Protestant (to be clear, many become Protestant, relatively speaking, but for theological reasons.  In fact, a lot of Protestant Romanians have a lot of friction with their overseas brethren trying to convert them to the American way, to the point of visiting missionaries having separate communities from their correligionists in Romania).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 11:18:34 AM »

While not strictly speaking converting, (although some EC will take issue) , Latin Rite RCC s seeking to join an EC rite parish often have great difficulties in obtaining the paperwork from their Latin ordinary bishop to do so. I have heard that the same bishops are not as "picky" in receiving transferring ECs.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2013, 01:32:50 PM »

I do not understand why a person would not go full Catholic or Orthodox.  What causes a person to want to be in communion with Rome but not be Roman Catholic

Could you define "Roman Catholic"?

or not want to be Roman Catholic yet be in communion with Rome?

Could you define "Roman Catholic"?

Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2013, 03:58:16 PM »

It dominants only the three core UGCC oblasts.  Elsewhere in Ukraine, their Latin rite dominates their communion, IRCC (I'm too tired at present to check).

"Dominate" is not just a numerical thing. The Latin Rite in Ukraine concentrates on ministry for ethnic minorites, such as Poles and Hungarians, as well as providing English speaking masses for foreigners living there. The UGCC on the other hand actively reaches out to the unchurched (i.e. baptized Orthodox but not regularly attending) all over the country. They also get much more media coverage.
Deacon Lance
Archon

Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2013, 04:07:06 PM »

That presupposes that one must be Latin to be fully Catholic or Byzantine to be fully Orthodox, something that both Eastern Catholics and Western Orthodox reject.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2013, 09:38:46 PM »

That presupposes that one must be Latin to be fully Catholic or Byzantine to be fully Orthodox, something that both Eastern Catholics and Western Orthodox reject.

Deacon, I believe Kerdy was using the term "full" in the sense of "representing the typical example," not in the sense of lessening the "Catholicness" of Eastern Catholics.

I don't know if Kerdy has seen Tropic Thunder, but I'm pretty sure this usage of the word "full" was popularized in that film.

You never go full retard! (some profanity)

In this sense, "full Catholic" is akin to going all out in the most typical way; pray the rosary 100 times a dya, order your deluxe set of the Summa, tune to EWTN 24/7, etc.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:40:52 PM by lovesupreme » Logged

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2013, 10:20:38 PM »

They're all Roman Catholics, just not Roman Rite. Maybe they didn't like the Roman Rite. Maybe in their area, there were only guitar masses. Perhaps the altar girls were distracting.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2013, 10:34:58 AM »

Deacon, I believe Kerdy was using the term "full" in the sense of "representing the typical example," not in the sense of lessening the "Catholicness" of Eastern Catholics.

I don't know if Kerdy has seen Tropic Thunder, but I'm pretty sure this usage of the word "full" was popularized in that film.

In this sense, "full Catholic" is akin to going all out in the most typical way; pray the rosary 100 times a dya, order your deluxe set of the Summa, tune to EWTN 24/7, etc.

Although I've been trying to cut down on my OCnet participation, after seeing this explanation I feel a need to ask: if that's what Kerdy means, why doesn't he say so himself? Why the need to guess / read his mind?

They're all Roman Catholics, just not Roman Rite.

That depends on how you define "Roman Catholics" ... it can, in fact, be short for "Roman-Rite Catholics".

Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2013, 03:10:42 PM »

I'm sure there are quite a few Eastern Catholics that would be offended by the notion that they are not fully Catholic.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2013, 05:25:08 PM »

I'm sure there are quite a few Eastern Catholics that would be offended by the notion that they are not fully Catholic.

But even to this day, if pressed, many ECs will concede that there more than a few Roman Catholics who view them that way. Over the years, I have heard from several EC priests who attended seminary in Rome that such an attitude was common there outside of the Orientale.

I admit a certain bias, but there are times when I don't get their fierce loyalty to Rome.
Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2013, 09:40:51 PM »

But even to this day, if pressed, many ECs will concede that there more than a few Roman Catholics who view them that way. Over the years, I have heard from several EC priests who attended seminary in Rome that such an attitude was common there outside of the Orientale.

I admit a certain bias, but there are times when I don't get their fierce loyalty to Rome.

You don't even have to press me. Wink  For myself, I cannot allow the ignorance of Latin Catholics or their poor treatment of us at times to influence my faith or loyalty which is based on my understanding of the Gospel.

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2013, 10:15:25 PM »

Soooooooo?  No one has anything...  Alrighty then.

What does that question even mean?  What is "full Catholic" or "full Orthodox"?  

It means nothing.  Disregard.  It was a horrible mistake for me to attempt to understand something and ask for clarification here.  I should have known better. 
Kerdy, I would be more than happy to answer your question, but I'm just a bit confused about what you are asking. Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by "Full Catholic?"

Thanks

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2013, 11:31:28 PM »

Although I've been trying to cut down on my OCnet participation, after seeing this explanation I feel a need to ask: if that's what Kerdy means, why doesn't he say so himself? Why the need to guess / read his mind?

I suppose it's really not my place to say what he meant, but I thought I would infer since that's how I've seen the phrase "full x" used in common parlance. It was more of an observation than a definitive response to Deacon on Kerdy's behalf.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:31:39 PM by lovesupreme » Logged

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2013, 03:31:20 PM »

I know a family that converted to Eastern Catholicism.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2013, 06:32:27 PM »

Not going to put down Kerdy's comments at all. In fact, IMHO it just reiterates how little both Orthodox and Catholics really know about what Eastern Catholicism is all about and who they are.

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2013, 08:03:53 PM »

Not going to put down Kerdy's comments at all. In fact, IMHO it just reiterates how little both Orthodox and Catholics really know about what Eastern Catholicism is all about and who they are.

Latin Catholics, sure (when I was a Latin, even the people who told me to "heck them out" after I got tired of Latin shenanigans more or less painted them as Latin Catholics with a nifty 'Eastern' liturgy), but Orthodox? Eastern Catholic churches wouldn't exist if it weren't for Orthodoxy. Huh

theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2013, 08:14:58 PM »

Latin Catholics, sure (when I was a Latin, even the people who told me to "heck them out" after I got tired of Latin shenanigans more or less painted them as Latin Catholics with a nifty 'Eastern' liturgy), but Orthodox? Eastern Catholic churches wouldn't exist if it weren't for Orthodoxy. Huh

That may well be true. But in my experience here at OC.net, there are quite a few EOs (like Kerdy) who can't seem to get their mind around why ECs exist at all.

(And it won't surprise me a bit if someone responds to this with some variation of "And they shouldn't!" - thus proving my point.  Cool)

Deacon Lance
Archon

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2013, 09:15:45 PM »

I've met many Orthodox who had no idea there were Catholics who looked and prayed as they do.  They were Greeks.  Perhaps groups without major unions don't have us on their radar.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2013, 11:13:19 PM »

I've met many Orthodox who had no idea there were Catholics who looked and prayed as they do.  They were Greeks.  Perhaps groups without major unions don't have us on their radar.

I think that is true among Greeks in particular. I'm not sure about Russians as most who traditionally identified as "Russian Orthodox" in the USA were not Great Russians ethnically, but rather came from the regions on the Russian/Polish/Hungarian frontiers where large numbers of Eastern Catholics resided at the end of the 19th century. I suspect the further east one went from Lviv or Uzhorod, the less likely one was to have any real knowledge of or contact with Eastern Catholics.
Napoletani

Faith: Romanian Orthodox

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2013, 10:02:30 AM »

That may well be true. But in my experience here at OC.net, there are quite a few EOs (like Kerdy) who can't seem to get their mind around why ECs exist at all.

(And it won't surprise me a bit if someone responds to this with some variation of "And they shouldn't!" - thus proving my point.  Cool)

And they shouldn't  Grin

Romania,striga tare sa te aud
Romania,noi suntem Leii din Sud
Si din mormant voi striga,Stiinta e echipa mea
De te nasti aici si cresti,ramai Anti'Bucuresti
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2013, 10:11:34 AM »

And they shouldn't  Grin

Glad I could count on you.  Grin

Napoletani

Faith: Romanian Orthodox

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2013, 10:14:17 AM »

And they shouldn't  Grin

Glad I could count on you.  Grin

You seemed so lonely, i couldnt but to come to your rescue  Cheesy

Romania,striga tare sa te aud
Romania,noi suntem Leii din Sud
Si din mormant voi striga,Stiinta e echipa mea
De te nasti aici si cresti,ramai Anti'Bucuresti
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: