OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 02:49:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Malankara Orthodox Syrian ?  (Read 561 times) Average Rating: 0
Urban_Monk

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Dallas

« on: May 11, 2013, 05:19:53 PM »

I want to know more about the Orthodox faith, but the only church close to me ( less than a mile ) is a Malankara Orthodox Syrian church... which seems to be 100% Indian as far as ethnic background at this particular church. My question is, is this considered an accepted orthodox church ?

Thanks
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 05:27:37 PM »

If you are interested in the Oriental Orthodox Church, then yes, this is acceptable.  The Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church is a canonical Oriental Orthodox Church.

There should be a Coptic Orthodox Church in Dallas as well.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 05:28:29 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Urban_Monk

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Dallas

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 06:06:40 PM »

There is a Coptic Church, two in fact but they are in Arlington... while I am in Rockwall, that is pretty far away. This one is right down the street. 
I really don't understand the difference between Eastern and Oriental Orthodoxy. Can you recommend any resources ?
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 06:41:16 PM »

oh boy...lol!

How good with ancient Christian history are you?  All issues with Oriental vs. Eastern Orthodox have to do with a 5th Century council in Chalcedon.

I recommend you start with first learning what the faith is in each church.  Then, you may proceed to learn about the intricacies and history of this faith.

Oriental Orthodox Church includes Coptic, Syriac, Armenian, Ethiopian, Eritrean, Malankara Orthodox Syriac, Malankara Syriac Orthodox, British Orthodox

Eastern Orthodox Church includes Ecumenical Patriarchate, Alexandrian Greek, Antiochian Greek, Greek Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, Jerusalem Patriarchate, Ukrainian, Serbian, Carpatho-Russyn, OCA, etc.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 06:44:51 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 09:16:00 AM »

There are 6 Malankara Orthodox Churches in the Dallas area, do you know which one you are looking to attend? I can PM you the contact details for the priest.
kijabeboy03
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 10:39:56 PM »

I've been to a variety of Orthodox churches (American, Antiochian, Coptic, Ethiopian, Greek, Malankara, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Ukrainian), and I personally find the Malankara Orthodox to have one of the most beautiful expressions of Orthodoxy out there. I can't speak to how welcoming the local parish is of course, but I think it would be worth visiting!

I want to know more about the Orthodox faith, but the only church close to me ( less than a mile ) is a Malankara Orthodox Syrian church... which seems to be 100% Indian as far as ethnic background at this particular church. My question is, is this considered an accepted orthodox church ?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 10:40:29 PM by kijabeboy03 » Logged

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 01:03:34 AM »

Bi-'Khristos af-don'f!
If you are interested in the Oriental Orthodox Church, then yes, this is acceptable.  The Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church is a canonical Oriental Orthodox Church.

There should be a Coptic Orthodox Church in Dallas as well.
As far as this Eastern Orthodox is concerned, this is acceptable.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 02:10:26 AM »

Al-Massiyyh Qam!

Indeed.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 11:01:41 AM »

I've been to a variety of Orthodox churches (American, Antiochian, Coptic, Ethiopian, Greek, Malankara, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Ukrainian), and I personally find the Malankara Orthodox to have one of the most beautiful expressions of Orthodoxy out there. I can't speak to how welcoming the local parish is of course, but I think it would be worth visiting!

Thanks
I've never been to an Indian parish, whether Malankara Orthodox or Malankara Syrian, that had not been welcoming. One parish even accommodated for me alone to do their liturgy in English.  Indians are awesome people.

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 12:02:42 PM »

Polish

Where?
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 12:50:35 PM »

I was very sad when I moved to Albuquerque a little while ago only to find that the Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church that was listed as being here on the diocese website (St. Basil) apparently does not actually exist anymore. I would love to go to a Malankara Orthodox qurbono someday. I say go for it. If it's that close by, why wouldn't you check it out?

kijabeboy03
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 10:10:26 PM »

Krakow :-)

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: