OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 05:58:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Easter Egg competition  (Read 434 times) Average Rating: 0
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« on: May 09, 2013, 09:26:22 PM »

I am assuming that other cultures have Easter Egg competitions at least within the family.  For those who have no idea what I am talking about and might sound like a weirdo, 2 links to a video a posted below...In Serbia in some places they do in on municipal level...The first competitor is supposed to say: Christ is risen!  and the opponent replies with: Indeed He has risen! Winner keeps both eggs.

If it is done in other places then how so...perhaps a bit differently...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH2H-bg5eYM

or perhaps something like this 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOu46A3XIWI
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 10:56:35 PM »

I am assuming that other cultures have Easter Egg competitions at least within the family.  For those who have no idea what I am talking about and might sound like a weirdo, 2 links to a video a posted below...In Serbia in some places they do in on municipal level...The first competitor is supposed to say: Christ is risen!  and the opponent replies with: Indeed He has risen! Winner keeps both eggs.

If it is done in other places then how so...perhaps a bit differently...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SH2H-bg5eYM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOu46A3XIWI

I can only vouch that this is done in the United States of America. Particularly by me at 2:30am (PST) this past Sunday morning before the serving of the margaritsa.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 03:12:11 AM »

Romanians do it also. I've never seen the apparently organised communal competition as shown in that video, though. It's always seemed to be something that just takes place within the family. My kids get very competitive about it, but as they, like me, aren't particularly keen on hard boiled eggs, my wife's the only real winner in our household - no matter who actually wins, she gets to keep all the eggs.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
soderquj

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 09:27:19 AM »

We also do it with family at the breaking of the fast meal, after the Pascha service.

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 10:34:47 AM »

My past observation is that you have to keep an eye on it or the children and the men older than 65 will have broken every egg in the parish hall by 2:30 Pascha morning.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 04:23:54 PM »

In my grandparents village there was even a league of such games. Adult men were taking part in the contests. It was quite a serious issue.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: