OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 02:27:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HELP FOR A BORN AGAIN CHRISTIAN  (Read 864 times) Average Rating: 5
alexsonofmatthew

Faith: Christian

I am the way, the truth and the life

« on: May 09, 2013, 06:29:06 AM »

I have recently accepted Jesus back into my life but I am confused as to which church I should take part in.
I am very much interested in finding my new home but having said that I do not mind just following Jesus and his teachings without me belonging to any particular denomination.

What are the main differences between churches?
What is the difference between Eastern Orthodoxy and Oriental Orthodoxy?
Any words of advice? Or reccomended documentries/books?

Kind regards alexsonofmatthew
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 06:30:00 AM by alexsonofmatthew » Logged

John 3:3 - Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 06:36:29 AM »

Why don't you start by reading a book on Orthodoxy. The Orthodox Church by Met. Kallistos Ware (the book cover still calls him Timothy Ware). It's an excellent book, but I'm sure that there are others.

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:39:15 AM »

First of all, welcome to OC.net!

God has called you back to Him, you heeded the call, so you won't be left without guidance.

First things first: the Church being the Body of Christ, there is no salvation outside it. Free-floating non-denominationalism is not an option.

This being an Orthodox forum, we do believe that the Orthodox Church holds the fullness of truth, but you need to experience it yourself. Find a church close to you, talk to the priest, attend services... see how it pans out.

A very good Orthodoxy 101 book is The Orthodox Way, by Met. Kallistos Ware. You can read a sample here.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
adampjr
Karamazov

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Penguin

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 06:46:21 AM »

I have recently accepted Jesus back into my life but I am confused as to which church I should take part in.
I am very much interested in finding my new home but having said that I do not mind just following Jesus and his teachings without me belonging to any particular denomination.

Being a part of church is mandatory in my opinion. There is probably nothing wrong with you taking your time and visiting different churches that are out there. I wouldn't go with 'denominations' either, that's a rather recent concept in Church history and personally I'd stay away from those places.
alexsonofmatthew

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 07:34:20 AM »

Thank You for the reccomendation " The Orthodox Way, by Met. Kallistos Ware " I have just ordered myself a copy Smiley

What are the main differences between Eastern Orthodoxy & Oriental Orthodoxy ?

regards alexsonofmatthew

John 3:3 - Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 07:34:50 AM »

Doctrinally? (Almost) nothing.

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
alexsonofmatthew

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 07:47:42 AM »

What separates them ?

soderquj

Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »

What separates them ?
From Orthodoxwiki:

"The Oriental Orthodox churches came to a parting of the ways with the remainder of Christianity in the 5th century. The separation resulted in part from the Oriental Orthodox churches' refusal to accept the Christological dogmas promulgated by the Council of Chalcedon, which held that Jesus Christ is in two natures — one divine and one human, although these were inseparable. To the hierarchs who would lead the Oriental Orthodox, this was tantamount to accepting Nestorianism. In response, they advocated a formula that stressed unity of the Incarnation over all other considerations, that being "one nature of God the Word Incarnate", "of/from two natures" in and after the union. The Oriental Orthodox churches are therefore often called "Monophysite" churches, although they reject this label, which is associated with Eutychian Monophysitism, preferring the term non-Chalcedonian or Miaphysite churches. Oriental Orthodox Christians anathematize the Monophysite teachings of Eutyches. They are sometimes also known as anti-Chalcedonians.

In the 20th century, a number of dialogues have occurred between the Oriental Orthodox and the Chalcedonian Orthodox which suggest that both communions now share a common Christology with differing terminology. As yet, full communion has not been restored."

And also the recognition of different Saints.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 08:01:57 AM by soderquj » Logged

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
alexsonofmatthew

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 08:38:04 AM »

Thank you for the information Smiley

What are some essential books/documentaries for "new/reborn Christians" to read/watch  ?

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 08:57:52 AM »

Mostly ego...probably more on our part then theirs IMHO.

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 09:47:51 AM »

What are some essential books/documentaries for "new/reborn Christians" to read/watch  ?

There are TONS of documentaries to be found on YouTube. Just putting 'Orthodox Christianity' in the search box gave me over 48,000 results. >_< I recommend 'The Roots of Christianity' as a starting point.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Gamliel
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 09:55:36 AM »

While you are reading what others have recommeded on this thread, take time to visit an Orthodox Liturgy.  Experiencing the Liturgy is important.  Do not worry whether it is Greek, Russian, Oriental, or any other kind.  Just try to go to one.  May the LORD be with you.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 10:36:27 AM »

While you are reading what others have recommeded on this thread, take time to visit an Orthodox Liturgy.  Experiencing the Liturgy is important.  Do not worry whether it is Greek, Russian, Oriental, or any other kind.  Just try to go to one.  May the LORD be with you.

I would also go to Great Vespers, usually on Saturday evenings. As for Divine Liturgy, it is usually preceded by other services (hours or matins/orthros) and I would try to go to them as well as the Liturgy usually starts without any pause after those services are over. it is very important for you to be there before the Liturgy starts.

A very good book on the Divine Liturgy is Farther Alexander Schmemann's For the Life of the World. Finally, a side note: if at all possible, try to attend a church where the services are all in English--not that this is critical but because it will make the process of understanding a bit easier.

If you want to understand the journeys other folks have taken to Orthodoxy, I would suggest the following resources:
http://journeytoorthodoxy.com/
http://www.myocn.net/index.php/journeys-to-orthodoxy/
http://www.conciliarpress.com/categories/General-Books/Journeys-to-Orthodoxy/

May the Risen Lord bless your spiritual journey!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 10:55:11 AM »

As for Divine Liturgy, it is usually preceded by other services (hours or matins/orthros)

Just to clarify for the OP's benefit:

Russian churches usually combine Vespers and Matins on Saturday nights and feasts. This combined service is called a Vigil, or All-night Vigil (though a vigil that goes on all night is not something seen in parish churches, and even monasteries don't do them often). Parish vigils run for about two to two and a half hours.

Then, on Sunday morning, the Hours are read (about 20 minutes), then the Divine Liturgy starts. It lasts about an hour and a half.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 12:03:56 PM »

Parish vigils run for about two to two and a half hours.

1:30-2 h here.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
alexsonofmatthew

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 12:04:37 PM »

Thank you all so much Smiley I am very excited to learn about the Orthodox church and Jesus !
I am looking to buy a Holy Bible, which Bible would you reccomend? also which is a good Prayer book? (any price)

Thank you again

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 12:08:44 PM »

The Orthodox Study Bible is currently your best bet. As for prayer books, we had a bit of a debate here. Smiley

Jovan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 12:12:10 PM »

Greetings dear friend and brother in Christ Smiley What a wonderful blessing this day to hear that you brought your heart wide open before Jesus again!

I would really recommend you to buy the "Orthodox Study Bible" which has helped me very much. Within you found firm guidance and entire prayes in the end. Both morning, evening and everyday prayers. Really recommend the bible, which also gives us orthodox christian guidance in many passages. Nearly every passage through the bible got a interpretation so that we might understand the bible in light of the true church.

quoting tags editted - MK
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 12:17:22 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
Jovan
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 12:13:08 PM »

http://orthodoxstudybible.com/assets/osbible.jpg

This is how the bible looks like dear brother Smiley

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
Jovan
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 12:24:24 PM »

Sorry Michal Kalina for posting by quoting, my first post here on this wonderful forum. Sorry I can´t get the buttons right Tongue

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 12:31:17 PM »

Sorry Michal Kalina for posting by quoting, my first post here on this wonderful forum. Sorry I can´t get the buttons right Tongue

Alexsonofmatthew and Jovan, welcome to the Forum!  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
WPM
Archon

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 01:30:43 PM »

Welcome to the forums ... Have a great day, God bless Peace
alexsonofmatthew

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 01:52:45 PM »

thank you all again for the help and greetings Smiley

Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2013, 02:41:14 PM »

Thank you for the information Smiley

What's your Bible background? How much of the Bible have you read, if anything? How much do you remember?
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 12:54:25 AM »

What are some essential books/documentaries for "new/reborn Christians" to read/watch  ?

This is a good one:

http://ancientfaith.com/specials/hopko_lectures/the_word_of_the_cross_part_1
http://ancientfaith.com/specials/hopko_lectures/the_word_of_the_cross_part_2
http://ancientfaith.com/specials/hopko_lectures/the_word_of_the_cross_part_3
http://ancientfaith.com/specials/hopko_lectures/the_word_of_the_cross_part_4

Also, you might find this interesting:

The verse in your signature, John 3:3, may be more accurately translated: "Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born from above, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 01:10:28 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"Simply put, if you’re not willing to take what is dearest to you, whether plans or people, and kiss it goodbye, you can’t be my disciple."
alexsonofmatthew

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2013, 07:52:50 AM »

Thank you everyone for all the helpful posts Smiley

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 07:53:30 AM by alexsonofmatthew » Logged

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2013, 07:56:05 AM »

Ancient Faith Radio is a great resource, as Nicholas mentioned. Feel free to check their podcast archive, as well as their current schedule. Smiley

alexsonofmatthew

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2013, 08:27:52 AM »

Ancient Faith Radio is a great resource, as Nicholas mentioned. Feel free to check their podcast archive, as well as their current schedule. Smiley

Thanks heaps ! GREAT site !!!

alexsonofmatthew

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2013, 08:37:03 AM »

Last night I was praying and I felt a calmness come over my body. My soul yearns to be one with God.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: