OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 01:00:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Little Russian Philokalia  (Read 980 times) Average Rating: 0
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« on: May 06, 2013, 05:09:06 PM »

Has anyone read one or all of the volumes of The Little Russian Philokalia? How are the English translations? Would you recommend it?
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 05:41:56 PM »

Has anyone read one or all of the volumes of The Little Russian Philokalia? How are the English translations? Would you recommend it?

The English translations are fine, though the overall language is sometimes a little stilted, as is the tendency in pious Orthodox works from times past.

I found what I have read of the series generally edifying.

I don’t know about all volumes (I only have two of the five), but the contents of the St. Seraphim volume are completely available online, just not bundled as they are here —so, unless you’re really keen on supporting the St. Herman brotherhood, you can save yourself a buck if you already own an ereader.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 05:49:43 PM »

The English translations are fine, though the overall language is sometimes a little stilted, as is the tendency in pious Orthodox works from times past.

I don’t know about all volumes (I only have two of the five), but the contents of the St. Seraphim volume are completely available online, just not bundled as they are here —so, unless you’re really keen on supporting the St. Herman brotherhood, you can save yourself a buck if you already own an ereader.

That is actually very good news, as I'd like to have them available on Kindle. If you've got a link handy, can you point me there? I'll try to locate it online as well. The St. Seraphim volume was the one I was most interested in.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 06:12:51 PM »

That is actually very good news, as I'd like to have them available on Kindle. If you've got a link handy, can you point me there? I'll try to locate it online as well. The St. Seraphim volume was the one I was most interested in.

On the acquisition of the Holy Spirit:
http://www.greekorthodoxchurch.org/saint_seraphim.html

The other contents are "Spiritual Instructions for Monks and Laymen" and the "Diveyevo Mystery."

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 06:14:33 PM »

If they're all as great as the St. Seraphim volume, then go for it.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 06:51:43 PM »

I really love the series. I have the volumes on St. Seraphim, Abbot Nazarius of Valaam, St. Theodore of Sanaxar, and St. Paisus Velichkovsky. They are wonderful and they were some of the first Orthodox books that I read. Very simple in their presentation but they contain spiritual depth. I highly recommend them. It seems like most are out of print except for the one on St. Seraphim and St. Theodore but you can still pick up Abbot Nazarius edition on other sites for the regular price.

Check here: http://archangelsbooks.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HERLILRUS-02 and http://www.sjkp.org/search.php
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: