OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 01:47:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sacrament of Unction on Holy Wednesday  (Read 410 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« on: May 06, 2013, 01:57:38 PM »

I have a genuine question.  I have been Orthodox now for 17 years and have always attended Orthodox parishes of a Slavic background.  I was watching a program on yourtube about Orthodox Holy Week produced by the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese.  It was excellent and I learned a lot from it.   One big difference I noticed, though, was that it talked about the entire congregation receiving the Sacrament of Unction on Holy Wednesday.  My OCA parish does not do this and apparently, never has.  We have the Bridegroom Matins services, of course.  We just don't have the Sacrament of Unction during Holy Week.  Any thoughts on why this is so?  Is there a difference between Greek and Slavic usage on this point?  I am not scolding anybody or faulting anybody.  My parish has a huge number of Holy Week services.  I just wondered if this was, perhaps, a liturgical difference between the Byzantine tradition and the Slavic tradition.  I await your replies.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 02:00:47 PM »

My parish is of Russian origin and we have the Unction service on Wednesday and all Orthodox are invited to be anointed.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 02:09:23 PM »

As for Polish Orthodox Church it depends on parish. In some it's on Holy Wedensday, but in some (e.g methropolitan cathedral in Warsaw) it's done just right before the Lazarus Saturday. My parish doesn't do this service (but it's in Warsaw, so any of Warsaw parishes except cathedral does it)

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 02:12:11 PM »

My church has some sort of anointing every Wednesday night after nocturnes, but someone told me this is not really Unction. Is this done generally? Can anyone explain what this is to me?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 02:25:38 PM »

My church has some sort of anointing every Wednesday night after nocturnes, but someone told me this is not really Unction. Is this done generally? Can anyone explain what this is to me?

Probaly it's soemthing that it's called in Church Slavonic yeleopomazaniye; in Russian and Polish practice it's done druing the chant of the canon during All-night vigils (so Saturaday evening and evenigns before great feasts)

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 06:24:18 PM »

It happens here on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday depending on the parish. I've even heard about some doing it prior to Holy Week.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 06:25:05 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Adelphi

Jurisdiction: Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 10:08:27 PM »

Having lived in a large Jerusalem Monastery for some years, where it was done every year during Great Lent when the Bishop was present, I received Holy Unction annualy, but the Hieromonk in my current parish was not used to serving it, and one year I missed out. When I asked about it, he undertook to choose a public holiday, at some previously unspecified time, and we all gather now on that day in the parish and receive together. Many Greeks join us for this day as well.  This year it was Anzac Day, 25 april.

Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding. Prov. 23:23.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: