OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 04:51:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Philaret of Moscow  (Read 356 times) Average Rating: 0
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« on: May 05, 2013, 05:07:40 PM »

I stumbled upon an interesting exchange of letters between Russian writer/thinker Alexis Khomiakov and the Anglo-Catholic deacon William Palmer (which can be read here). Among many other topics of discussion, one of them was about groups of Anglicans converting to Orthodoxy, whilst retaining their rites to whatever extent possible. Khomiakov shared with Palmer the exchange he had with the known miracle worker and later glorified Saint, Metropolitan Philaret:

"I have but just now seen the Metropolitan of Moscow, Philaret. The conversation of that highly gifted man has been more satisfactory still for me than my interview with Protásov. I am even afraid that till now I have been unjust to our Metropolitan, though I should consider it as a gain if I had to confess an error in that case. His sympathy was unexpectedly warm and strong. He listened to many things with a joyful smile and with tears in his eyes. It was even a strange emotion to behold in a man of such concentrated feelings. He has raised my hopes. If you ask whether anything was positively promised, I answer: ‘No’; no; but he said: ‘Everything that can be done without offending the Christian conscience will be done’; and that was said earnestly. There was complete harmony between his face and his words. He said, likewise, that every plausible explanation in questions of seeming differences would readily be admitted; that every rite not implying a direct negation of a dogma would be allowed, ‘Unity of rites being very desirable indeed, but unity of dogma being the only condition sine qua non’. Let us hope for the best."

I found this fascinating, and thought others might too.
tetepet

Faith: Orthodox Christianity

New convert

@GeeBabaa_
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 06:22:49 PM »

hmmm...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: