OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 01:39:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please, recommend a Bible  (Read 2406 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2013, 01:56:47 AM »

I like that Bible, but I hate the cover.  Tongue
The Pantokrator?

No, if I hated him I'd have huge problems down the line.  Tongue

I was referring to the Youth Bible the GOA put out.  I have a copy of it, and it's a great size, but it's designed to look like jeans.  Do the youth really go for that, or was that some older person's idea of what young people would think is cool? 

http://www.amazon.com/Revised-Standard-Version-Catholic-Bible/dp/0195288564/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1373695563&sr=8-4&keywords=rsv+pocket

A really convenient volume, if you like the RSV.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2013, 04:01:09 AM »

I was referring to the Youth Bible the GOA put out.  I have a copy of it, and it's a great size, but it's designed to look like jeans.  Do the youth really go for that

Not me.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 04:09:39 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2013, 04:02:25 AM »

Could you recommend me an English translated Orthodox Bible that's an easy read? Also, it would help if there were commentaries or explanations to verses as sometimes it's hard to understand the Scriptures for a person who's learning the Christian faith.

The Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture series is very useful for beginners.

I own the two-part Genesis books and really like it.  Thing is, you need to be aware that the series has quotes from some who are considered heretical.

Not everything they (Origen, Tertullian, etc.) said was bad.

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2013, 12:58:34 PM »

Couple more days until I get that Norton Critical New Testament. Can't wait.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2013, 12:58:34 PM »

There is no real Orthodox Bible in English--that is, one that has been blessed by a Holy Synod.

For a complete text, one can find the old Revised Standard Version Bible with all the books. The commentary therein isn't always helpful or accurate, but the text is complete and the translation is reasonable, though, again, there is no perfect translation.
The New Oxoford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha says Abp. Athenagora of GB expressed "satisfaction" at it.

I use it and/or the Orthodox Study Bible for general use in English.
Let's be clear on what New Oxford Annotated Bible, Isa is referring to:

http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Apocrypha-Standard-Expanded-Hardcover/dp/0195283481/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373682502&sr=8-2&keywords=the+new+oxford+annotated+bible+with+the+apocrypha

I have this Bible and it is really great.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2013, 02:24:21 PM »

I don't know why I quoted Rufus. I was answering the original question asked. I guess just agreeing with Rufus.

Always a safe bet.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2013, 02:26:08 PM »

I was referring to the Youth Bible the GOA put out.  I have a copy of it, and it's a great size, but it's designed to look like jeans.  Do the youth really go for that

Not me.

Never could stand youth-oriented stuff. Especially if it's designed to look like jeans. Neurosis? Maturity? Who knows.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2013, 03:03:19 PM »

Neurosis?

I think the guys in Neurosis could put together a stellar edition.

St. Basil is great!

Wonder if he drank goat's milk . . .

Antonis
Prodigal
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2013, 04:24:15 PM »

I like that Bible, but I hate the cover.  Tongue
The Pantokrator?

No, if I hated him I'd have huge problems down the line.  Tongue

I was referring to the Youth Bible the GOA put out.  I have a copy of it, and it's a great size, but it's designed to look like jeans.  Do the youth really go for that, or was that some older person's idea of what young people would think is cool? 

http://www.amazon.com/Revised-Standard-Version-Catholic-Bible/dp/0195288564/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1373695563&sr=8-4&keywords=rsv+pocket

A really convenient volume, if you like the RSV.
Ah! I have that one as well! Yea, it's a terrible cover. The one I'm talking about is even smaller.

For peace in the whole world,
for the stability of the holy churches of God,
and for the unity of all,
let us pray to the Lord.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2013, 08:28:13 AM »

Could you recommend me an English translated Orthodox Bible that's an easy read? Also, it would help if there were commentaries or explanations to verses as sometimes it's hard to understand the Scriptures for a person who's learning the Christian faith.

The Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture series is very useful for beginners.

I own the two-part Genesis books and really like it.  Thing is, you need to be aware that the series has quotes from some who are considered heretical.

Not everything they (Origen, Tertullian, etc.) said was bad.

Certainly not.  But who wants to have to look up all their quotes to make sure they're in line and not heretical?  I don't have the time.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2013, 08:31:22 AM »

There is no real Orthodox Bible in English--that is, one that has been blessed by a Holy Synod.

For a complete text, one can find the old Revised Standard Version Bible with all the books. The commentary therein isn't always helpful or accurate, but the text is complete and the translation is reasonable, though, again, there is no perfect translation.
The New Oxoford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha says Abp. Athenagora of GB expressed "satisfaction" at it.

http://www.amazon.com/Annotated-Apocrypha-Standard-Expanded-Hardcover/dp/0195283481/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1373682502&sr=8-2&keywords=the+new+oxford+annotated+bible+with+the+apocrypha

I wasn't paying attention when I bought what I thought was this version.  Turns out I bought the NRSV.  I'm saving up for the one you and Isa have or the ESV Study Bible. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2013, 08:52:25 PM »

I wasn't paying attention when I bought what I thought was this version.  Turns out I bought the NRSV.  I'm saving up for the one you and Isa have or the ESV Study Bible. 

You could get the new ESV with Apocrypha. http://www.amazon.com/English-Standard-Version-Bible-Apocrypha/dp/0195289102

"When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered.” -Martin Luther King Jr.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2013, 09:45:02 PM »

You could get the new ESV with Apocrypha. http://www.amazon.com/English-Standard-Version-Bible-Apocrypha/dp/0195289102

I'll probably end up buying that one at some point in the future.  I recently received the RSV w/ the Apocrypha.  Love it!

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2013, 10:35:47 PM »

I think whatever translation you do read, even the Message, should work in an Orthodox context. I don't think you will have much of a problem.

It's like the "young woman" part in Isaiah 7:14. We of course interpret that differently, but everything is interpretation anyway.
I'm not as sure about this, while I do agree that it is all interpretation, people who are reading Scriptures their first time around may be unaware of textual differences and translators' interpretations.  

In other words, one who's first Bible is the Nearly Inspired Version might not get all of the same ideas as one who's first Bible was the KJV.

This is another reason why we need to be knowledgeable in the Teachings of the Church before even reading the Scriptures.
And if you are already attending Orthodox services, you shouldn't mind the follies of a translator or an entire translation. I have come across "inaccuracies" myself in the RSV, but they have not served as stumbling blocks.

We have plenty of guidance to read the Scriptures at our disposal, and also our parish priest, so find a translation that works best for you.

We are followers of the Way, not about quibbling over minutiae on what kind of wood Noah built his Ark. I appreciate a longing for accuracy, but I am not sure it matters as a whole. Outside this board, it matters zip on a day to day basis.

Plus, if you fear inaccuracies in Scriptural translations, try not to think about all the inaccuracies in translations of liturgical texts. Oh boy.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2013, 11:04:28 PM »

Plus, if you fear inaccuracies in Scriptural translations, try not to think about all the inaccuracies in translations of liturgical texts. Oh boy.
That's why I went to a Greek cathedral so I didn't have to worry about inaccuracy.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2013, 11:29:43 PM »

That's why I went to a Greek cathedral so I didn't have to worry about inaccuracy.

Now if only they weren't using a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a translation  Cool

St. Basil is great!

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2013, 11:48:48 PM »

Now if only they weren't using a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a translation  Cool
Everything was written in Greek so I'm good.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2013, 11:51:06 PM »

I bet the Greek Jesus wrote in was impeccable  Grin

St. Basil is great!

xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2013, 12:41:21 AM »

I'll probably end up buying that one at some point in the future.  I recently received the RSV w/ the Apocrypha.  Love it!

I have recently received the Ignatius Bible-RSV Catholic Edition. It's artsy and a pretty good translation from what I can see. I had the OSB... but when I got it from Amazon it was beat up and damaged, so I sent it back. The OSB is too expensive for now, so I got the cheaper RSV and On the Incarnation by St. Athanasius. I already own an ESV without the Apocrypha.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 12:52:27 AM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered.” -Martin Luther King Jr.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2013, 12:57:50 AM »

I bet the Greek Jesus wrote in was impeccable  Grin
Ask Cyrillic, Jesus didn't write anything down.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: