OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 02:34:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please, recommend a Bible  (Read 2720 times) Average Rating: 0
andrewlya
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Christianity is not a religion,it is a relationship with God

Christian all my life and is still learning

« on: May 05, 2013, 11:32:33 AM »

Happy Easter All, Christ is Risen!
Could you recommend me an English translated Orthodox Bible that's an easy read? Also, it would help if there were commentaries or explanations to verses as sometimes it's hard to understand the Scriptures for a person who's learning the Christian faith.

Also, what is the best film I could watch about the Old Testament and the New Testament,any good movies about Jesus Christ's life? I've watched The Passion of the Christ, it's a very strong film, are there any other good Christian films?

Thanks a lot!
God bless you all in Jesus.

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 11:38:32 AM »

The Orthodox Study Bible is the place to start. Smiley

Film-wise... I've just watched, like every year during Holy Week, Franco Zeffirelli's Jesus of Nazareth. It's a six-hour mini-series that is both superbly cast and very accurately scripted.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 11:43:34 AM »

It is far from ideal, but it's the best (i.e. only) thing around.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 11:49:55 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Eheu fugaces, Postume, Postume,
labuntur anni"
-Horace, Odes II:14
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 11:52:47 AM »

Could you recommend me an English translated Orthodox Bible that's an easy read? Also, it would help if there were commentaries or explanations to verses as sometimes it's hard to understand the Scriptures for a person who's learning the Christian faith.

The Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture series is very useful for beginners.

labuntur anni"
andrewlya
Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 12:10:33 PM »

It is far from ideal, but it's the best (i.e. only) thing around.
Not ideal? Why not?

I believe in one God the Father and His Son the Messiah, the Savior of all the people
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 12:12:16 PM »

The Septuagint translation isn't as good as I would like it to be and the notes don't always refer back to the works of the Fathers.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 12:12:31 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

labuntur anni"
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 12:29:41 PM »

There is no real Orthodox Bible in English--that is, one that has been blessed by a Holy Synod.

For a complete text, one can find the old Revised Standard Version Bible with all the books. The commentary therein isn't always helpful or accurate, but the text is complete and the translation is reasonable, though, again, there is no perfect translation.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 08:07:23 PM »

The Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture series is very useful for beginners.
It is a good series, but one must remember that not all ancient Christians were Orthodox  Wink.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 09:13:47 PM »

It'll only be a matter of time before this turns into a heated debate on the OSB's "Protestantizations" and then gradually escalating into the classic Masoretic or Septuagint dichotomy.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 09:23:43 PM »

I only use NOAB RSV with the complete Apocrypha.

Oxford has another complete Bible in ESV.

If Cyrillic, Roamios, etc could get together and make an Orthodox Bible from scratch that would be awesome.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 09:31:52 PM »

It's missing III and IIII Maccabbees, Psalm 151, and a few other books/chapters, but if you can stand the 17th century English, the 1611/1613 KJV is the least Protestant worded in English.  The 1599 Geneva (as well as the Geneva series in general) is also a good one with its Protestant wording mostly confined to marginal notes.

But a more modern translation which has all of the books in there would be the RSV/A and the NRSV/A, however it is pretty Protestant worded.

There are also other versions (see Achronos's reply above) which I have not read.

The OJB is alright and fixes much of the Protestant wording, but I wouldn't take it as too authoritative, at least from what I understand.

Sadly, from what I understand, none of the English translations are really that good, the best thing to do if you want to get accurate would to either waste all of your free time on the internet or learn Greek.

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
pmpn8rGPT
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 09:33:11 PM »

If Cyrillic, Roamios, etc could get together and make an Orthodox Bible from scratch that would be awesome.
I think LBK should organize it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 09:33:22 PM by pmpn8rGPT » Logged

sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 09:55:58 PM »

At least we can all agree on who's gonna do the maps at the end.  Cheesy
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 10:32:42 PM »

Learn Greek to read the Septuagint and NT in the original.

As far as movies go, I'd recommend the Ten Commandments. Always a favorite.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 10:41:13 PM »

It'll only be a matter of time before this turns into a heated debate on the OSB's "Protestantizations" and then gradually escalating into the classic Masoretic or Septuagint dichotomy.

The thread on the OSB and neo-Protestantism already exists:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,44554.0.html
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 11:01:41 PM »

It's missing III and IIII Maccabbees, Psalm 151, and a few other books/chapters, but if you can stand the 17th century English, the 1611/1613 KJV is the least Protestant worded in English.  The 1599 Geneva (as well as the Geneva series in general) is also a good one with its Protestant wording mostly confined to marginal notes.
Douay Rheims might be considered, but it's a translation from the Vulgate.

But a more modern translation which has all of the books in there would be the RSV/A and the NRSV/A, however it is pretty Protestant worded.
NRSV is too inclusive for usage and should be avoided.

There are also other versions (see Achronos's reply above) which I have not read.
I am a fan of the RSV for study and devotional use. ESV is based on the same lexicon, but more updated to American colloquialisms.

The OJB is alright and fixes much of the Protestant wording, but I wouldn't take it as too authoritative, at least from what I understand.
There has been some reactionary sentiment towards it from Orthodox clergy being nothing more than a Protestant product. There have been some that have asserted that containing all of the books into a single volume is contrary to its liturgical usage.

I have also heard that the clergy should take care of the readings of the Bible and the laymen need not read it at all. But we should all be reading it, daily.

Sadly, from what I understand, none of the English translations are really that good, the best thing to do if you want to get accurate would to either waste all of your free time on the internet or learn Greek.
If we can get close enough in English the renderings of the OT Septuagint in an Orthodox interpretation, I think that would suffice enough for everyone. The EOB NT seems good, but I haven't read it yet. They are still in the process of doing the OT as well.

There will never be a perfect translation, but if we can come close enough to it, then fine.

At least we can all agree on who's gonna do the maps at the end.  Cheesy
LOL

For the purist approach..
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 11:02:28 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 11:06:51 PM »

I think whatever translation you do read, even the Message, should work in an Orthodox context. I don't think you will have much of a problem.

It's like the "young woman" part in Isaiah 7:14. We of course interpret that differently, but everything is interpretation anyway.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
pmpn8rGPT
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 11:14:08 PM »

Douay Rheims might be considered, but it's a translation from the Vulgate.

NRSV is too inclusive for usage and should be avoided.

I am a fan of the RSV for study and devotional use. ESV is based on the same lexicon, but more updated to American colloquialisms.

There has been some reactionary sentiment towards it from Orthodox clergy being nothing more than a Protestant product. There have been some that have asserted that containing all of the books into a single volume is contrary to its liturgical usage.

I have also heard that the clergy should take care of the readings of the Bible and the laymen need not read it at all. But we should all be reading it, daily.

If we can get close enough in English the renderings of the OT Septuagint in an Orthodox interpretation, I think that would suffice enough for everyone. The EOB NT seems good, but I haven't read it yet. They are still in the process of doing the OT as well.

There will never be a perfect translation, but if we can come close enough to it, then fine.

At least we can all agree on who's gonna do the maps at the end.  Cheesy
LOL

For the purist approach..
+1 to all of this

pmpn8rGPT
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 11:20:03 PM »

I think whatever translation you do read, even the Message, should work in an Orthodox context. I don't think you will have much of a problem.

It's like the "young woman" part in Isaiah 7:14. We of course interpret that differently, but everything is interpretation anyway.
I'm not as sure about this, while I do agree that it is all interpretation, people who are reading Scriptures their first time around may be unaware of textual differences and translators' interpretations. 

In other words, one who's first Bible is the Nearly Inspired Version might not get all of the same ideas as one who's first Bible was the KJV.

This is another reason why we need to be knowledgeable in the Teachings of the Church before even reading the Scriptures.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 11:24:54 PM »

I'm not as sure about this, while I do agree that it is all interpretation, people who are reading Scriptures their first time around may be unaware of textual differences and translators' interpretations.  

In other words, one who's first Bible is the Nearly Inspired Version might not get all of the same ideas as one who's first Bible was the KJV.

This is another reason why we need to be knowledgeable in the Teachings of the Church before even reading the Scriptures.
And if you are already attending Orthodox services, you shouldn't mind the follies of a translator or an entire translation. I have come across "inaccuracies" myself in the RSV, but they have not served as stumbling blocks.

We have plenty of guidance to read the Scriptures at our disposal, and also our parish priest, so find a translation that works best for you.

We are followers of the Way, not about quibbling over minutiae on what kind of wood Noah built his Ark. I appreciate a longing for accuracy, but I am not sure it matters as a whole. Outside this board, it matters zip on a day to day basis.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 11:25:39 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
pmpn8rGPT
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 11:30:08 PM »

And if you are already attending Orthodox services, you shouldn't mind the follies of a translator or an entire translation. I have come across "inaccuracies" myself in the RSV, but they have not served as stumbling blocks.

We have plenty of guidance to read the Scriptures at our disposal, and also our parish priest, so find a translation that works best for you.

We are followers of the Way, not about quibbling over minutiae on what kind of wood Noah built his Ark. I appreciate a longing for accuracy, but I am not sure it matters as a whole. Outside this board, it matters zip on a day to day basis.
You're on a roll tonight.

+1
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 11:30:24 PM by pmpn8rGPT » Logged

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 11:00:28 AM »

And which Greek originals would those? Each ancient patriarchate has its own recension.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas un Poirot

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 11:25:15 AM »

And which Greek originals would those? Each ancient patriarchate has its own recension.

Good question. What is 'the' Septuagint? Which text should we take?

LOL
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:26:00 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

labuntur anni"
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 02:13:56 PM »

Happy Easter All, Christ is Risen!

Also, what is the best film I could watch about the Old Testament and the New Testament,any good movies about Jesus Christ's life? I've watched The Passion of the Christ, it's a very strong film, are there any other good Christian films?

Thanks a lot!
God bless you all in Jesus.

There are only a handful of Orthodox Bibles in English...the only one that's readable is the Orthodox Study Bible, but there's really nothing special about it, and the notes are of little utility. If you just go with one of the major scholarly translations you should be fine.

My favorites are the RSV and NKJV. Haven't read the ESV, but it gets good reviews from intelligent people. The NIV is good, but it has a few issues. Not a fan of the NRSV.

If you like thees and thous, the KJV and the not-so-well-known American Standard Version are both good.

Getting a copy of one of these that includes the "deuterocanonicals" should not be difficult. These books give some important background that clarifies what's going on in the NT.

As for biblical movies, no, I've never seen any good ones. They are all basically "storybook" movies that portray Biblical narratives very stereotypically.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 02:19:51 PM »

The OSB translation seems alright to me. The notes range from helpful to inane. Oftentimes really obvious passages will be summarized in the notes, but really strange or obscure stuff gets no comment. Also, the notes will sometimes cite Fathers but never tell you which work by these Fathers they're referring to.

If you like KJV-style English, there is no an Orthodox Septuagint version of the KJV Old Testament available online here. It's supposed to be coming out in print form later this year.

As far as commentaries go, the ones by St. Theophylact of Ohrid are really good and you can get them here: http://www.chrysostompress.org/

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 03:45:45 PM »

The OSB translation seems alright to me. The notes range from helpful to inane. Oftentimes really obvious passages will be summarized in the notes, but really strange or obscure stuff gets no comment.

Though I have a few other issues with the OSB as well (just the usual mundane criticisms that one can find on this many other Orthodox sites), this is my biggest problem with it. Patently obvious passages will get a lengthy study note while the really baffling “hard sayings” are often ignored.

Although I mention it with some hesitation because it has many of the NRSV’s flaws, the Revised English Bible is a modern translation that contains the so-called Anglican apocrypha of the KJV’s early printings. It was intended for audiences in the British isles and tends toward English colloquialisms (a few passages ring weird to my American ears), but it’s very easy to read and is available very cheap online (my copy cost $3 with shipping).

Like I said, it’s nowhere close to perfect, but the Bible you read is better than the one that you don’t.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
andrewlya
Elder

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 06:05:06 PM »

Thank you for your answers.
I wanted an Orthodox Bible that's easy to read and understand, which explains verses so I may help to a non Christian person to get to know the greatest faith.If anyone could recommend it, thanks a lot.

God bless

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 06:06:43 PM »

Thank you for your answers.
I wanted an Orthodox Bible that's easy to read and understand, which explains verses so I may help to a non Christian person to get to know the greatest faith.If anyone could recommend it, thanks a lot.

God bless
the message

– St. Ambrose of Milan
andrewlya
Elder

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 06:10:02 PM »

In my Church, they have this Bible, so I may go for this one.
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Title/book-uOi0UycxUkqUlgEokCCXuw/page1.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=google-shopping&utm_campaign=product-listings&kwd=?utm_source=productlistings&utm_medium=g&utm_campaign=title-The+Orthodox+Study+Bible&gclid=CKmq6MCE3bcCFZMftAodvF8A5A

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 07:18:36 PM »

That's a fine one IMO Smiley

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Stepan

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2013, 11:25:33 AM »

I've got the OSB more for the text than the notes. I actually wish Nelson would publish a text only version of the OSB in a compact format that could be easily carried for travel. I am looking at options and it appears my best bet is going to either be my KJV w/Apocrypha or an RSV-CE.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2013, 02:41:41 PM »

I've got the OSB more for the text than the notes. I actually wish Nelson would publish a text only version of the OSB in a compact format that could be easily carried for travel. I am looking at options and it appears my best bet is going to either be my KJV w/Apocrypha or an RSV-CE.

This would be nice.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Archon

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2013, 02:48:01 PM »

New King James Version + Usually the one given to you by the priest.
Stepan

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2013, 01:42:48 PM »

This would be nice.

I just discovered that the OSB is available as an iOS app. REALLY like the features of the app and it solves the issue of easily carrying the Scriptures with me.

That being said, I would still like a "reader's edition" of the OSB in a compact format.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2013, 02:19:44 PM »

This translation debate is pretty much just hipsterism. The more important question is how often you read it.

Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2013, 04:48:11 PM »

I have a stock of "youth edition" OSBs that fit snuggly into one's pocket, they were issued by GOARCH about a year ago. It says "youth edition" but it has nothing to do with youth in it, the main drive was to provide Orthodox youth with Bibles. It contains the New Testament, the Psalter, as well as assorted prayers and a place to write down commemorations, as well as color icons and various other tidbits.

If you are interested I can see about sending one or two to you.  Smiley

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Antonis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2013, 05:00:29 PM »

My apologies, it is actually RSV, not OSB.  Undecided

Still, let me know if you're interested.  Smiley

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2013, 05:29:42 PM »

I like that Bible, but I hate the cover.  Tongue

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2013, 05:33:36 PM »

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Matthew79

Faith: Currently an Evangelical/Baptist educated in reformed theology, but have been trying to learn about Orthodoxy and have been attending an Antiochian church.

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2013, 05:45:09 PM »

My favorites are the RSV and NKJV. Haven't read the ESV, but it gets good reviews from intelligent people. The NIV is good, but it has a few issues. Not a fan of the NRSV.

I really like the ESV, but I am Baptist. You'll probably have a hard time finding one with an Orthodox commentary.

As for biblical movies, no, I've never seen any good ones. They are all basically "storybook" movies that portray Biblical narratives very stereotypically.

Most Christian movies are lame. I held out watching Courageous for a long time because I didn't have much hope for it. My friends kept telling me I had to watch it because it was "so much better" than some of the Christian movies in the past. I finally watched it, and IMO, they were wrong. I don't really identify movies or music as "Christian and non-Christian" anymore. I just look for good movies and good music that deal with the real nitty-gritties of life. There's a lot of good stuff out there in the so-called "secular" market.  I will admit, one of my favorite movies with an explicit Gospel message, is an old one, but a true story. Called The Cross and the Switchblade. It is the story of David Wilkerson, a country pastor from Pennsylvania, who walked into the toughest neighborhoods (with not so much as a place to sleep) in New York City back in the '60's and led the toughest, most hateful gang leader to Christ and most of his gang. This began a successful ministry committed to reaching out to the troubled youth in the city.
Matthew79

Faith: Currently an Evangelical/Baptist educated in reformed theology, but have been trying to learn about Orthodoxy and have been attending an Antiochian church.

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2013, 05:50:59 PM »

I don't know why I quoted Rufus. I was answering the original question asked. I guess just agreeing with Rufus.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2013, 07:09:51 PM »

I own the two-part Genesis books and really like it.  Thing is, you need to be aware that the series has quotes from some who are considered heretical.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2013, 10:01:25 PM »

There is no real Orthodox Bible in English--that is, one that has been blessed by a Holy Synod.

For a complete text, one can find the old Revised Standard Version Bible with all the books. The commentary therein isn't always helpful or accurate, but the text is complete and the translation is reasonable, though, again, there is no perfect translation.
The New Oxoford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha says Abp. Athenagora of GB expressed "satisfaction" at it.

I use it and/or the Orthodox Study Bible for general use in English.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2013, 10:31:59 PM »

The New Oxoford Annotated Bible with the Apocrypha says Abp. Athenagora of GB expressed "satisfaction" at it.

I use it and/or the Orthodox Study Bible for general use in English.

I knew I liked you for a reason.  Smiley

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Antonis
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2013, 01:38:33 AM »

I like that Bible, but I hate the cover.  Tongue
The Pantokrator?

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: