OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 11:37:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Placement of sermon?  (Read 460 times) Average Rating: 0
TinyDancer

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: May 02, 2013, 10:15:09 AM »

Why is it there is no specific place for the sermon?  Some churches do it after the gospel and some at the end of Liturgy. 

On a side note, is it normal to insert a sermon into Holy Unction?  I wasn't expecting one last night and it really disrupted the flow (not to mention my feet fell asleep after 30 minutes.  Father gives very long sermons.)
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 10:24:48 AM »

Why is it there is no specific place for the sermon?  Some churches do it after the gospel and some at the end of Liturgy.  

The proper place for the sermon is straight after the Gospel. However, largely because of the general tendency in many parishes for a good number of folks to turn up later than the Gospel, priests in such parishes often give the sermon at the end of the Liturgy, before the dismissal.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 10:25:11 AM by LBK » Logged
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 10:25:26 AM »

Our priest inserts it after the Great Entrance.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 01:46:51 PM »

As far as being "normal" to preach a bit at the Unction service?  As a "PK" it has been my experience that it is abnormal for a priest not to talk a bit during allmost any service!
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 02:50:42 PM »

It goes after the gospel and before the creed, as the BCP dictates. wait....
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 03:10:04 PM »

As far as being "normal" to preach a bit at the Unction service?  As a "PK" it has been my experience that it is abnormal for a priest not to talk a bit during allmost any service!

PK?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 03:24:21 PM »

Why is it there is no specific place for the sermon?  Some churches do it after the gospel and some at the end of Liturgy. 

Per LBK, preaching is supposed to be right after the Gospel by the books. In practice, priests will do it at all sort of add times.

Myself, I'm partial to sermons after the Gospel...it's a natural breaking point in the service, the text of the reading is still fresh in people's minds, and no one is tired yet.

On a side note, is it normal to insert a sermon into Holy Unction?  I wasn't expecting one last night and it really disrupted the flow (not to mention my feet fell asleep after 30 minutes.  Father gives very long sermons.)

No, only at the DL. But some priests are taking up a policy of preaching at every single service.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 03:24:33 PM »

PK?

PK = Priest's Kid.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 03:31:48 PM »

At home, after the Gospel.  At the Unction service and Royal Hours, one right after each reading is over.

Today, I went to a Greek Church.  The sermon (which btw was all in English, as was the Gospel, by a Greek immigrant priest.  At least half the service was in English, although it seemed almost everyone was Greek-although I did overhear a Romanian) was right before communion.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 03:46:37 PM »

I believe that during Divine Liturgy, it ought to be after the Gospel....when the catechumens are still present and able to "learn" from the message being given.

We used to have it than....but, now it's usually at the end.

I think it's at the end, after the dismissal, because this allows the priest to give announcements in addition to his sermon.  He couldn't very well announce the upcoming picnic or school event, in the middle of Liturgy...it would be wrong.  However, at the end...it seems better.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 03:51:13 PM »

At home, after the Gospel.  At the Unction service and Royal Hours, one right after each reading is over.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 03:51:29 PM by Rufus » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 03:57:59 PM »

LOL!   I am picturing Isa giving a sermon "at home" after his evening prayers.   angel

—St. Isaac of Syria
GabrieltheCelt
Son of a Preacher man
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2013, 05:58:42 PM »

PK?

PK = Priest's Kid.

Or Preacher's Kid if they're Protestant.  Smiley

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

"Yes, you are a white supremacist, ..."  ~Iconodule
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2013, 11:53:19 PM »

Quote from: ialmisry link=topic=51289.msincludingfst8sualong3108
At home, after the Gospel.  At the Unction service and Royal Hours, one right after each reading is over.

Yikes! When we were kids, the older altar boys were chosen to serve at the Passion Gospel service with the twelve, including the super long first, gospel readings It was tradition to scare the new kids who never attended before by telling them that there was going to be a sermon after EACH reading. .....
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 11:55:27 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2013, 11:56:27 PM »

There's no rule for or against a sermon being given anywhere.

And what is this flow anyway? I wasn't aware we had this in Orthodoxy.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 11:58:50 PM »

LOL. Fellow PK here can well relate. On the way home, sometimes it was Mom's turn to go give a sermon. Maybe this is why I love silence. Smiley

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 12:00:39 AM »

The service of the Twelve Gospels and Twelve Sermons has got to be great.

Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 01:26:16 PM »

Why is it there is no specific place for the sermon?  Some churches do it after the gospel and some at the end of Liturgy.  

On a side note, is it normal to insert a sermon into Holy Unction?  I wasn't expecting one last night and it really disrupted the flow (not to mention my feet fell asleep after 30 minutes.  Father gives very long sermons.)

You don't perceive Orthodox services as having a flow?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 01:26:50 PM by Rufus » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 11:20:55 AM »

On a side note, is it normal to insert a sermon into Holy Unction?  I wasn't expecting one last night and it really disrupted the flow (not to mention my feet fell asleep after 30 minutes.  Father gives very long sermons.)

You don't perceive Orthodox services as having a flow?

Not really. Nothing that would differentiate it specially.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: