OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 03:46:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building Bridges Between Orthodox and Catholic Christians  (Read 9467 times) Average Rating: 0
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #270 on: June 26, 2013, 12:48:20 PM »

In my home region the peasants would call the Catholics simply Hungarians. Their church Hungarian church their Easter Hungarian Easter their priest Hungarian "popA". Catholic was a foggy term to the older generations.
It is interesting-telling-that the "Romanian Church United with Rome, Greek-Catholic" now confesses its faith "Într-una, sfântă, catolică și apostolică Biserică," while the Romanian Orthodox Church continues to confess the Faith "întru una, sfântă, sobornicească și apostolească Biserică."

On that note, on the issue of post Vatican II attempts to prey on the Orthodox, I would count the appearance of the "Catechism of the Catholic Church" in Romanian a year after its first appearance, years before its appearance in English:although very few of the Vatican's flock in Romania speak Romanian. I saw stacks of them in its main cathedral in Bucharest, where everything was in Hungarian.  And  it wasn't teaching the "Orthodox Confession of the Catholic and Apostolic Eastern Church."
They have Masses in both Romanian and Hungarian and sometimes even in Latin. the words "Într-una, sfântă, catolică și apostolică Biserică," are in the Romanian language so there are Roman Catholics and Greek Catholics who speak Romanian. 
The "Roman Catholics" outnumber the "Greek Catholics" in Romania, no matter who is counting, and both together are dwarfed by the nearly 90% Orthodox majority.

Of those under the Vatican in Romania, most are Hungarian-hence why all the books I saw (except the CCC) in the Cathedral were in Hungarian (some announcements on the board were German and Romanian).

IOW, there was a larger need, and a higher priority, to translate and distribute it in English, than in Romanian, if pastoral concerns lay behind it.

Actually, the part about the translation of the CCC is not accurate.
what is inaccurate about it?

The translation was a grass-roots (lay) initiative. It had nothing to do with "proselytizing" intentions of RC hierarchy.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #271 on: June 26, 2013, 12:48:52 PM »

Mr. White's an anarchist who uses Marxist arguments because he doesn't like libertarians, and he's not ultramontane.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:49:33 PM by The young fogey » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #272 on: June 26, 2013, 12:49:27 PM »

•American Eastern Orthodox converts. Owen White called this. The boomlet’s over. In the end you’ll see a couple more Western whites there but mostly continued stolid decline (as Bill Tighe says of their cousins the little PNCC) with most of the few converts remaining people like Tom Hanks, basically nothingarians (ex-Catholics and ex-Protestants) who marry into it (yep, the plot of My Big Fat Greek Wedding), which is great for them. A folk Catholicism that should reteach the official church a few things; now that’s good ecumenism.
I am interested to hear what basis this opinion is founded on.  I have quite a few Orthodox and Catholic friends and far more Orthodox are converts than Catholics. The Orthodox seem to be much more hyper about their beliefs than Catholics are. (whether that is a good or bad thing is up for debate, I suppose). I only know of one person who "married into" Orthodoxy and I know several who married into Catholicism.

I'm not saying they are all joining for good reasons.  I know some join because it is a "Popeless" Catholicism, but that doesn't take away the fact that there seems to be little evidence of a "stolid decline".

They're more noticeable because they're big fish in a shrinking pond.

Are you saying there are fewer Orthodox now than there were in the 90's?  I haven't seen any indication that that is true...  Where are you getting that info from?

No numbers (yet?) but the phenomenon is well known, as is the official Orthodox exaggeration of their numbers.
Thanks.  That mote has been bothering me.  While you are at it, can you chop down that forest over at the Annuario Pontificio?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #273 on: June 26, 2013, 12:50:49 PM »

•American Eastern Orthodox converts. Owen White called this. The boomlet’s over. In the end you’ll see a couple more Western whites there but mostly continued stolid decline (as Bill Tighe says of their cousins the little PNCC) with most of the few converts remaining people like Tom Hanks, basically nothingarians (ex-Catholics and ex-Protestants) who marry into it (yep, the plot of My Big Fat Greek Wedding), which is great for them. A folk Catholicism that should reteach the official church a few things; now that’s good ecumenism.
I am interested to hear what basis this opinion is founded on.  I have quite a few Orthodox and Catholic friends and far more Orthodox are converts than Catholics. The Orthodox seem to be much more hyper about their beliefs than Catholics are. (whether that is a good or bad thing is up for debate, I suppose). I only know of one person who "married into" Orthodoxy and I know several who married into Catholicism.

I'm not saying they are all joining for good reasons.  I know some join because it is a "Popeless" Catholicism, but that doesn't take away the fact that there seems to be little evidence of a "stolid decline".

Are you saying there are fewer Orthodox now than there were in the 90's?  I haven't seen any indication that that is true...  Where are you getting that info from?

No numbers (yet?) but the phenomenon is well known, as is the official Orthodox exaggeration of their numbers.
Thanks.  That mote has been bothering me.  While you are at it, can you chop down that forest over at the Annuario Pontificio?

Oh, my God! Catholic churchmen have faults and commit sins! Must throw rosary away. East good, West baaaaaad. Please.

ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #274 on: June 26, 2013, 01:03:35 PM »

In my home region the peasants would call the Catholics simply Hungarians. Their church Hungarian church their Easter Hungarian Easter their priest Hungarian "popA". Catholic was a foggy term to the older generations.
It is interesting-telling-that the "Romanian Church United with Rome, Greek-Catholic" now confesses its faith "Într-una, sfântă, catolică și apostolică Biserică," while the Romanian Orthodox Church continues to confess the Faith "întru una, sfântă, sobornicească și apostolească Biserică."

On that note, on the issue of post Vatican II attempts to prey on the Orthodox, I would count the appearance of the "Catechism of the Catholic Church" in Romanian a year after its first appearance, years before its appearance in English:although very few of the Vatican's flock in Romania speak Romanian. I saw stacks of them in its main cathedral in Bucharest, where everything was in Hungarian.  And  it wasn't teaching the "Orthodox Confession of the Catholic and Apostolic Eastern Church."
They have Masses in both Romanian and Hungarian and sometimes even in Latin. the words "Într-una, sfântă, catolică și apostolică Biserică," are in the Romanian language so there are Roman Catholics and Greek Catholics who speak Romanian. 
The "Roman Catholics" outnumber the "Greek Catholics" in Romania, no matter who is counting, and both together are dwarfed by the nearly 90% Orthodox majority.

Of those under the Vatican in Romania, most are Hungarian-hence why all the books I saw (except the CCC) in the Cathedral were in Hungarian (some announcements on the board were German and Romanian).

IOW, there was a larger need, and a higher priority, to translate and distribute it in English, than in Romanian, if pastoral concerns lay behind it.

The translation was a grass-roots (lay) initiative. It had nothing to do with "proselytizing" intentions of RC hierarchy.
Sorry, that's not going to cut it.  The English speaking world suffered from no lack of grass-roots translation, but the Vatican didn't slap its imprematur on that-its US Bishops Conference kept that until its control for two years.  In contrast, the Romanian got its imprematur and nihil obstat within the year of the French promulgation (the original-the official Latin version wasn't promulgated for almost 5 years, and included changes, e.g. on the death penalty). The promulgating authority of the CCC, their supreme pontiff John Paul II-his native Polish had to wait as long as English, although his church was firmly in control then, again, of Poland, and had something like 20x the number of followers of the Vatican than Romania.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
TheTrisagion
Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #275 on: June 26, 2013, 01:17:28 PM »

It is so well known that I've never heard of it, but I should take your word for it?  Huh  Forgive me for asking, I thought there was some actual useful information that you might have gleaned from somewhere.  My bad.  Roll Eyes

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #276 on: June 26, 2013, 01:29:19 PM »

Oh, my God! Catholic churchmen have faults and commit sins! Must throw rosary away. East good, West baaaaaad. Please.
You brought it up

"For with what judgment you judge, you shall be judged: and with what measure you mete, it shall be measured to you again." (Douay-Rheims)

Western Rite Orthodox, very goooooooooood.

Please yourself

The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #277 on: June 26, 2013, 01:35:47 PM »

Google search.

We each want to build a bridge for the other to walk to us from. Let's just be honest about that, shake hands, and leave each other alone.

xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #278 on: June 26, 2013, 01:46:09 PM »

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 01:48:12 PM by xariskai » Logged

Silly Stars
TheTrisagion
Protokentarchos

« Reply #279 on: June 26, 2013, 01:48:51 PM »

Google search.

We each want to build a bridge for the other to walk to us from. Let's just be honest about that, shake hands, and leave each other alone.

I like your search because it doesn't have a single page that gives any number or really says anything about American Orthodox being inflated OR the number of converts slowing.

I know or care little about building bridges, but if you are going to post stuff about how Orthodoxy in America is shrinking, they inflate their numbers, they don't have many converts or blah, blah, blah, perhaps having a modicum of evidence to support any of those allegations would be helpful. Otherwise, this might be a better search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+young+fogey+makes+crap+up+to+suit+his+own+narrative

podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #280 on: June 26, 2013, 01:50:07 PM »

I want going to post this thought , I really promised myself last weekend,but I just can't help it.

Does anyone else notice that, politics excepted 100% of course,  that Serge, the "Young Fogey", and Varvara of "Voices from Russia"  agree on much regarding relations between the Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches, including an unusual antipathy towards converts?  
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #281 on: June 26, 2013, 01:56:21 PM »

I want going to post this thought , I really promised myself last weekend,but I just can't help it.

Does anyone else notice that, politics excepted 100% of course,  that Serge, the "Young Fogey", and Varvara of "Voices from Russia"  agree on much regarding relations between the Roman Catholic and Orthodox Churches, including an unusual antipathy towards converts?  

But Stanley/Varvara hates Catholicism ('graceless heretics'), right?

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #282 on: June 26, 2013, 03:13:25 PM »

...why all the books I saw (except the CCC) in the Cathedral were in Hungarian (some announcements on the board were German and Romanian).
Because all of the missals in the  Romanian language were sold out at the time you were there. Most of the Roman Catholic Masses there are in the Romanian language, no?
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #283 on: June 26, 2013, 03:22:55 PM »

...why all the books I saw (except the CCC) in the Cathedral were in Hungarian (some announcements on the board were German and Romanian).
Because all of the missals in the  Romanian language were sold out at the time you were there. Most of the Roman Catholic Masses there are in the Romanian language, no?
No. Hungarian.

The Missals were not for sale.

podkarpatska
Taxiarches

« Reply #284 on: June 26, 2013, 03:52:03 PM »

But Stanley/Varvara hates Catholicism ('graceless heretics'), right?

Eastern Catholics, not so much Roman ones....
TheTrisagion
Protokentarchos

« Reply #285 on: June 26, 2013, 03:54:32 PM »

Where does Stanley/Vavara attend? One would think a priest would discourage his/her actions.  I admittedly know little about him/her other than just seeing references.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:55:00 PM by TheTrisagion » Logged

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #286 on: June 26, 2013, 03:55:34 PM »

No. Hungarian.

The situation is very different for the RC's in different parts of the country. In the Western part, most RC's are Hungarians, and a minority are of Romanian, German, Bulgarian, Slovak or Croatian descent. There is an increasing demand for Masses in Romanian, since many come from mixed families or are converts / former Greek Catholics turned RC. However, the bishops insist that their clergy be formed at the Alba Iulia seminary in Hungarian. There are few vocations and the older clergy is most of the time not proficient in Romanian.   

In the Eastern part (the Iasi and Bucharest dioceses), the RC's have been naturalized (some may have Polish or Hungarian/Csango roots) and speak Romanian. Families have many kids, there is a boom in vocations, many religious orders, they export missionary priests to Africa or Western Europe, etc. They have been using Romanian as the language of catechesis and - since it was possible - liturgy.

In the RC cathedral of Timisoara there are three Masses (Hungarian, German, Romanian) every Sunday and solemn pontifical Masses are tri-lingual. In Bucharest and Iasi, everything is done in Romanian and they are growing. The Hungarian/German bishops of the Transylvania are more conservative regarding ethnic identity and their numbers are shrinking.   

RC ordinations to the priesthood in Iasi last year
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:13:53 PM by Romaios » Logged
Nephi
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #287 on: June 26, 2013, 04:02:56 PM »

Where does Stanley/Vavara attend? One would think a priest would discourage his/her actions.  I admittedly know little about him/her other than just seeing references.

Who are Stanley/Vavara even?

Liberalochian: Ecumenism Lite™
TheTrisagion
Protokentarchos

« Reply #288 on: June 26, 2013, 04:12:03 PM »

A particularly venomous anti-convert, Russian, transexual, communist Orthodox blogger. Never thought you would see all those words in one sentence, did you?  Cheesy

http://02varvara.wordpress.com/

Nephi
Section Moderator
Archon

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #289 on: June 26, 2013, 04:28:11 PM »

A particularly venomous anti-convert, Russian, transexual, communist Orthodox blogger. Never thought you would see all those words in one sentence, did you?  Cheesy

I'm honestly surprised you didn't link me to a Tumblr page after that sentence. Wink

Liberalochian: Ecumenism Lite™
Cavaradossi
法網恢恢,疏而不漏
OC.net guru

Faith: Chalcedonian Automaton Serial No. 5Aj4bx9
Jurisdiction: Chalcedonian Automaton Factory 5

« Reply #290 on: June 26, 2013, 04:57:28 PM »

I am interested to hear what basis this opinion is founded on.  I have quite a few Orthodox and Catholic friends and far more Orthodox are converts than Catholics. The Orthodox seem to be much more hyper about their beliefs than Catholics are. (whether that is a good or bad thing is up for debate, I suppose). I only know of one person who "married into" Orthodoxy and I know several who married into Catholicism.

I'm not saying they are all joining for good reasons.  I know some join because it is a "Popeless" Catholicism, but that doesn't take away the fact that there seems to be little evidence of a "stolid decline".

Sophistry at it's finest. "We don't have any numbers, but any evidence you see to the contrary of my assertion is actually evidence for my assertion, fish in a shrinking pond, etc."

It is little wonder that nobody would want to build bridges with Roman Catholicism, when that would mean having such great philosophasters as a coreligionists.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:01:14 PM by Cavaradossi » Logged

Be comforted, and have faith, O Israel, for your God is infinitely simple and one, composed of no parts.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: Netodox
Jurisdiction: OC.net

Work hard, pray hard.

« Reply #291 on: June 26, 2013, 05:20:21 PM »

I wasted a lot of time reading ex-Orthodox blogs last night. The main arguments seemed to be online Orthodox are mean and overzealous, Catholicism is bigger so it wins, and Orthodoxy is shrinking.

Trisagion, if you want some stats that aren't from insecure ex-converts, this website is pretty fair in dispelling exaggerations and inflation: http://www.orthodoxreality.org/

I wish you'd all just shut up. Then at least you would appear to be wise. - Job 13:5 ISV
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Russians. Even when holding a cat they're dour.

« Reply #292 on: June 26, 2013, 05:40:30 PM »

I've not come across many groups, religious or otherwise, who don't exaggerate their numbers. Some music fans, perhaps, who base part of their identity on being part of an elite and enlightened group of 14 people who know about some obscure band or other. But that's about it. I have even heard the old calendarists, who are usually quick to say that numbers mean nothing, exaggerate their numbers to a disgusting degree. But I think in the last 3 years or so, with a couple reports giving more accurate numbers for Orthodox, these absurd figures like 6 million or 3 million are seen much less often. Of course we still get numbers just as absurd regarding the worldwide population of Orthodoxy, but then that's a separate issue as this discussion seems to be about Orthodoxy in America.
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #293 on: June 26, 2013, 06:02:21 PM »

No. Hungarian.

How often were you there?  Occasionally, I would see in the Bucharest Church copies of: Carte De Rugaciuni. Sfinta Liturghie. This was a small paperback missal of about 334 pages, entirely in the  Romanian language and was available to take home.   
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 06:04:04 PM by stanley123 » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #294 on: June 26, 2013, 09:38:14 PM »

So what are the real number nationally and globally? My guessy guess with no real information is maybe 1 million in America and 200 million globally?
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #295 on: June 26, 2013, 10:06:47 PM »

Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life (2011) gave a little over 260 million.

Silly Stars
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #296 on: June 26, 2013, 10:30:40 PM »

I didn't know the details until you supplied them, but even so I seriously doubted the proselytizing-theory. (You didn't think we Catholics were that bad at proselytizing, did you?  Cheesy)

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #297 on: June 26, 2013, 10:37:25 PM »

I've not come across many groups, religious or otherwise, who don't exaggerate their numbers.

Which is pretty silly. Numbers don't matter, which is why I'm never going to release any for my church (which I'll be starting any day now, by the way).

Surnaturel

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #298 on: June 26, 2013, 11:34:16 PM »

I am interested to hear what basis this opinion is founded on.  I have quite a few Orthodox and Catholic friends and far more Orthodox are converts than Catholics. The Orthodox seem to be much more hyper about their beliefs than Catholics are. (whether that is a good or bad thing is up for debate, I suppose). I only know of one person who "married into" Orthodoxy and I know several who married into Catholicism.

I'm not saying they are all joining for good reasons.  I know some join because it is a "Popeless" Catholicism, but that doesn't take away the fact that there seems to be little evidence of a "stolid decline".

Sophistry at it's finest. "We don't have any numbers, but any evidence you see to the contrary of my assertion is actually evidence for my assertion, fish in a shrinking pond, etc."

It is little wonder that nobody would want to build bridges with Roman Catholicism, when that would mean having such great philosophasters as a coreligionists.
Careful not to be tendentious to the whole, many of which are, at times, overly charitable to the Orthodox, because of the few.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Russians. Even when holding a cat they're dour.

« Reply #299 on: June 26, 2013, 11:36:56 PM »

I've not come across many groups, religious or otherwise, who don't exaggerate their numbers.

Which is pretty silly. Numbers don't matter, which is why I'm never going to release any for my church (which I'll be starting any day now, by the way).

Smart. Keep it secretive mysterious. A thought--make up hundreds of websites for phantom parishes across the world. If a potential inquirer asks about one in his city simply tell him that the parish is in hiatus, and that you would be happy to catechize him over the interwebs.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #300 on: June 27, 2013, 12:13:51 AM »

You left out "Upper New Yorker"-the "Voices of Russia" shriek from Albany.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #301 on: June 27, 2013, 12:24:12 AM »

No. Hungarian.

How often were you there?  Occasionally, I would see in the Bucharest Church copies of: Carte De Rugaciuni. Sfinta Liturghie. This was a small paperback missal of about 334 pages, entirely in the  Romanian language and was available to take home.   
Not often, and not since 1993.  But then we were talking about the time when the Catechism came out, not the present day (I don't know when you were there).

Btw, we are talking about Sf. Iosif?  I seem to recall something about the "Romanian Church in Union with Rome, Greek Catholic" taking it over or some such thing, their Supreme Pontif reading a Byzantine Liturgy there when he visited.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #302 on: June 27, 2013, 12:25:22 AM »

I didn't know the details until you supplied them, but even so I seriously doubted the proselytizing-theory. (You didn't think we Catholics were that bad at proselytizing, did you?  Cheesy)

TheTrisagion
Protokentarchos

« Reply #303 on: June 27, 2013, 08:32:04 AM »

Smart. Keep it secretive mysterious. A thought--make up hundreds of websites for phantom parishes across the world. If a potential inquirer asks about one in his city simply tell him that the parish is in hiatus, and that you would be happy to catechize him over the interwebs.
Ooooh, I like this idea!  Can I join your cool religion?  What does it teach?  Can I start a phantom diocese?  I call Archbishop position!  Grin

Yurysprudentsiya
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA

« Reply #304 on: June 27, 2013, 08:44:41 AM »

Among the few Romanians I've met is a man whose family switched from Greek Catholic to Roman Catholic rather than obey the Communist order to become Orthodox.

This happened also among the Lemkos of Poland.  They split three ways -- some became Roman Catholic (and passing as such - as Poles - helped to avoid deportation), some became Orthodox, and some conducted underground Greek Catholic services.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #305 on: June 27, 2013, 09:01:19 AM »

Among the few Romanians I've met is a man whose family switched from Greek Catholic to Roman Catholic rather than obey the Communist order to become Orthodox.

This happened also among the Lemkos of Poland.  They split three ways -- some became Roman Catholic (and passing as such - as Poles - helped to avoid deportation), some became Orthodox, and some conducted underground Greek Catholic services.
It happened in Ukraine as well. There was a large thread on that on another forum this year.

And in all three cases-Romania, Ukraine and Poland, the move back to Orthodoxy began WAAAAY before the Communists took over.  In fact, it took place long before the Orthodox took over, when the minions of the Vatican still ruled the roost.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:03:30 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #306 on: June 27, 2013, 09:26:24 AM »

Ooooh, I like this idea!  Can I join your cool religion?  What does it teach?  Can I start a phantom diocese?  I call Archbishop position!  Grin

If you're the head of another church, we could consider a merger. Next synod meeting, I'll motion for the appointment of a committee to review your church's credentials.

TheTrisagion
Protokentarchos

« Reply #307 on: June 27, 2013, 09:34:27 AM »

If you're the head of another church, we could consider a merger. Next synod meeting, I'll motion for the appointment of a committee to review your church's credentials.
Absolutely not.  Your heretical belief of numeroclasm has placed schism between our traditions. REPENT and we can consider revoking our anathemas against you, the number-haters. We consider any payment in excess of $19.99 as an acceptable example of repentance and will revoke our anathemas at that time.

Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #308 on: June 27, 2013, 09:40:15 AM »

And in all three cases-Romania, Ukraine and Poland, the move back to Orthodoxy began WAAAAY before the Communists took over.  In fact, it took place long before the Orthodox took over, when the minions of the Vatican still ruled the roost.

Untrue. At least in Poland and Ukraine.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

« Reply #309 on: June 27, 2013, 10:05:19 AM »

This happened also among the Lemkos of Poland.  They split three ways -- some became Roman Catholic (and passing as such - as Poles - helped to avoid deportation), some became Orthodox, and some conducted underground Greek Catholic services.

It happened in the United States as well, but due to the decades of internecine squabbles within the Greek Catholic/Orthodox communities if Lemmon, Rusyn and Ukrainian immigrants rather than the communists.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #310 on: June 27, 2013, 10:39:54 AM »

The Austrians and Hungarians were already prosecuting in court and dismissing from positions the newly returned Orthodox in the 1880's in Galicia, where the Orthodox officially did not exist.  A milestone was the 1882 treason trial of Ivan Naumovich, a Ruthenian priest ordained by the Vatican and member of the Galician and then Austrian Parliaments.  His crime?  Drafting a petition of a Ruthenian village that wanted to go from submission to the Vatican to come under the omophorion of the Metropolitan of Czernowitz, the local Orthodox primate.  Acquitted, he was sentenced for "public disturbance" and served 8 months in prison, and lost his seat in the Parliament, and then was excommunicated by the Vatican.  St. Alexeis Kabaliuk himself became embroiled in the Second Maramuresh-Sighet Trial of 1913: the First was in 1903, and for the same "crime"-return to Orthodoxy. (he was freed from prison when the regime fell in 1918).  Such led to the Talerhof Concentration Camps, where St. Maxim Sandovich was martyred.

Galicia remained outside the Soviet Union, and came under the Vatican's most loyal daughter, the Second Polish Republic, and so was subject to the same Revindication Campaigns as the rest of its territory.

The Tyvala "schism" (i.e. the return to Catholic unity under bishops in the Orthodox diptychs) started in 1926 and alarmed the Vatican that it created the Lemko Apostolic Administration to put the area of southern Poland directly under itself.

I purposely do not count the Chelm Diocese, as the Czar did have control of that area, although the conversion was done by refugee returners to Orthodoxy from Austria Hungary.

So in the areas where neither the Most Orthodox Czar nor the Soviet Commissar had control before 1945, the return to Orthodoxy had been well under way.  That includes Czechoslovakia too, btw.

Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #311 on: June 27, 2013, 11:21:26 AM »

So in the areas where neither the Most Orthodox Czar nor the Soviet Commissar had control before 1945, the return to Orthodoxy had been well under way.  That includes Czechoslovakia too, btw.

In terms of numbers forced convertions greatly outrun those guerrilla ones.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

« Reply #312 on: June 27, 2013, 01:40:27 PM »

The Austrians and Hungarians were already prosecuting in court and dismissing from positions the newly returned Orthodox in the 1880's in Galicia, where the Orthodox officially did not exist.  A milestone was the 1882 treason trial of Ivan Naumovich, a Ruthenian priest ordained by the Vatican and member of the Galician and then Austrian Parliaments.  His crime?  Drafting a petition of a Ruthenian village that wanted to go from submission to the Vatican to come under the omophorion of the Metropolitan of Czernowitz, the local Orthodox primate.  Acquitted, he was sentenced for "public disturbance" and served 8 months in prison, and lost his seat in the Parliament, and then was excommunicated by the Vatican.  St. Alexeis Kabaliuk himself became embroiled in the Second Maramuresh-Sighet Trial of 1913: the First was in 1903, and for the same "crime"-return to Orthodoxy. (he was freed from prison when the regime fell in 1918).  Such led to the Talerhof Concentration Camps, where St. Maxim Sandovich was martyred.

Galicia remained outside the Soviet Union, and came under the Vatican's most loyal daughter, the Second Polish Republic, and so was subject to the same Revindication Campaigns as the rest of its territory.

The Tyvala "schism" (i.e. the return to Catholic unity under bishops in the Orthodox diptychs) started in 1926 and alarmed the Vatican that it created the Lemko Apostolic Administration to put the area of southern Poland directly under itself.

I purposely do not count the Chelm Diocese, as the Czar did have control of that area, although the conversion was done by refugee returners to Orthodoxy from Austria Hungary.

So in the areas where neither the Most Orthodox Czar nor the Soviet Commissar had control before 1945, the return to Orthodoxy had been well under way.  That includes Czechoslovakia too, btw.

Yes, some were returning to Orthodoxy pre WW1 as a form of political opposition to the Hungarians  with the support and money of emigres who faced Roman opposition to their presence in America. After the war, the presence of the ROCOR in Ladimirova, Slovakia led to  additional converts in the villages surrounding the monastery (including the family of the late Metropolitan Laurus). People from Minneapolis funded an Orthodox church in Becherov and people from Ambridge, Pa funded one in Svetlice (Vilagy), both in Slovakia between the wars, but these were the exception rather than the rule. If my memory is correct, most of the Czechoslovak Orthodox church pre World War 2 was ethnically Czech and were Protestant and Roman Catholic converts rather than Greek Catholic converts. The ham handedness of the Russians, coupled with the collaboration of some local Greek Catholics in outlawing the Greek Catholic church at the onset of the Cold War set Orthodoxy back to the extent that still reverberates their to this day. Current Slovak census data is consistent with my premise.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #313 on: June 27, 2013, 01:44:59 PM »

So in the areas where neither the Most Orthodox Czar nor the Soviet Commissar had control before 1945, the return to Orthodoxy had been well under way.  That includes Czechoslovakia too, btw.

In terms of numbers forced convertions greatly outrun those guerrilla ones.
You didn't ask about numbers. Nor, for that matter, do you provide them now.

Don't quite know what a guerilla conversion is. Does it involve guns?

JoeS2
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #314 on: June 27, 2013, 02:57:22 PM »

Google search.

Works for me.....!
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: