OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 03:49:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: finding comfort with mystery?  (Read 453 times) Average Rating: 0
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« on: May 01, 2013, 02:56:52 AM »

Anyone know of any books on finding comfort in the mystery of Christianity? Seems like it is a neglected topic but would be helpful today.

(I have a feeling someone is going to suggest CS Lewis or GK Chesterton but honestly I can't find their writings interesting at all, so, please don't)
Shiranui117
Formerly known as "Wandering Sheep"

Faith: Orthodox (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: ACROD/OCA

PUDDI PUDDI!

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 03:04:05 AM »

Maybe try "The Orthodox Way" by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware?
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 03:07:00 AM »

Maybe try "The Orthodox Way" by Metropolitan Kallistos Ware?

I read that a long, long time ago... didn't find it really clicked for me for reason I can't remember.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 09:32:36 AM »

What do you mean by finding comfort?
Martyr Eugenia

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 11:12:57 AM »

I understand what you are asking. The concept of the Trinity itself is a mystery. If you try to apply logic or head-knowledge to what it 'means' you will never grasp it. When something relies on our faith to accept it wholly that part that is missing is the mystery. I do believe our brains arent big enough to fully comprehend it all, if we try to hard to, our heads would explode. I have been made very humble by all the new stuff in Orthodoxy that had been beyond my comprehension/understanding before and simply just 'being' is making me more comfortable. Prayer helps.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 11:56:21 AM »

Are you asking for comfort coming from mysteries as opposed to laws and other such things?
Gisasargavak

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 02:17:41 PM »

It sounds like you're asking for a book that gives the rationalization for mystery within the Church? Smiley
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »

Are you asking for comfort coming from mysteries as opposed to laws and other such things?

No, it is pretty straightforward... Christianity is full of things that are beyond understanding and difficult for people in the modern age to accept.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 07:30:48 PM »

I understand what you are asking. The concept of the Trinity itself is a mystery. If you try to apply logic or head-knowledge to what it 'means' you will never grasp it. When something relies on our faith to accept it wholly that part that is missing is the mystery. I do believe our brains arent big enough to fully comprehend it all, if we try to hard to, our heads would explode. I have been made very humble by all the new stuff in Orthodoxy that had been beyond my comprehension/understanding before and simply just 'being' is making me more comfortable. Prayer helps.

Thank you.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 08:08:31 PM »

I was looking at books in the library and picked up The Orthodox Way and realized I read The Orthodox Church before (I thought I read the former), and decided to read it. Actually it seems pretty good for this so far... interesting is that on a lot of points it actually describes the progression of my understanding over the years exactly.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: