OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 09:24:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Being gay is a choice?  (Read 7241 times) Average Rating: 0
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #360 on: May 21, 2013, 01:11:45 PM »

Dpaula,
How dare you and your wedding party strip down nude and run through the streets grinding on each other.  I thought this was going to be an Orthodox wedding!  Roll Eyes

I love false analogies.  Wink
They weren't running naked and grinding in Georgia.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #361 on: May 21, 2013, 01:16:21 PM »

Dpaula,
How dare you and your wedding party strip down nude and run through the streets grinding on each other.  I thought this was going to be an Orthodox wedding!  Roll Eyes

You got your threads mixed up.  Discussion on the Georgia protest is the other thread. We were discussing flagrant gay parades in this thread. For the record, I am very saddened by the approach that the Georgian Church leadership towards that situation.  They should have demonstrated the love of Christ towards the gay demonstrators, not attacked them.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #362 on: May 21, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »

Dpaula,

News travels fast these days...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WgeDcBJUirM
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #363 on: May 21, 2013, 01:26:22 PM »

Dpaula,

You got your threads mixed up.  Discussion on the Georgia protest is the other thread. We were discussing flagrant gay parades in this thread. For the record, I am very saddened by the approach that the Georgian Church leadership towards that situation.  They should have demonstrated the love of Christ towards the gay demonstrators, not attacked them.
They should not call for counter-marches/orthodox pride demonstrations etc at the same time and place of the gay event if their non-violent intentions are serious. But anyways it's been fun as always pulling the strings of our resident homophobes. they love being offended.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #364 on: May 21, 2013, 01:30:30 PM »

Dpaula,

They should not call for counter-marches/orthodox pride demonstrations etc at the same time and place of the gay event if their non-violent intentions are serious. But anyways it's been fun as always pulling the strings of our resident homophobes. they love being offended.

I don't disagree with you on the first point.  Any time you put 10,000 in an area with a group they disagree with, it is bound to get ugly.

Not sure who you are referring to on the second point, but I'm glad you are having fun.  Wink

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #365 on: May 21, 2013, 01:40:16 PM »

But does any gay people get that I don't care they are gay and I don't need them to parade in front of my house half naked?
as long as they don't parade on your sacred private property, the state doesn't care and neither should you.

No one should parade half naked in public regardless of where, when or who they are - Rio or Notting Hill Carnival or so-called Gay Pride events. As to the plainly blasphemous statement that modern people are emotionally mature than God was in the period of the Old Covenant, I simply shake my head to see such a thing written on a Christian Orthodox forum.

Who is in any position to judge God? Not one of us.
Apparently St. Peter had a habit of going skinny-dipping with his buddies. Does that offend your sensibilities?

Your evidence for this statement is what? I have seen fishermen in action from the Levant in the West to India in the East, never nude and not a few fishing in ways no different than two millennia ago.

Nudity is not new or modern but in neither the Old or New Covenant is public nudity condoned.

John 21.

John 21, there is reference to removal and replacement of an 'outer' garment. This is something that can be seen even in our times. Skinny dipping refers to swimming without any clothing. I have never seen fishermen completely naked on entering the water.

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #366 on: May 21, 2013, 05:38:21 PM »

But does any gay people get that I don't care they are gay and I don't need them to parade in front of my house half naked?
as long as they don't parade on your sacred private property, the state doesn't care and neither should you.

No one should parade half naked in public regardless of where, when or who they are - Rio or Notting Hill Carnival or so-called Gay Pride events. As to the plainly blasphemous statement that modern people are emotionally mature than God was in the period of the Old Covenant, I simply shake my head to see such a thing written on a Christian Orthodox forum.

Apparently St. Peter had a habit of going skinny-dipping with his buddies. Does that offend your sensibilities?

Your evidence for this statement is what? I have seen fishermen in action from the Levant in the West to India in the East, never nude and not a few fishing in ways no different than two millennia ago.

Nudity is not new or modern but in neither the Old or New Covenant is public nudity condoned.

John 21.

John 21, there is reference to removal and replacement of an 'outer' garment. This is something that can be seen even in our times. Skinny dipping refers to swimming without any clothing. I have never seen fishermen completely naked on entering the water.

My Bible says Peter was naked.

Were you alive 2000 years ago?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:38:55 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

« Reply #367 on: May 21, 2013, 06:12:33 PM »

Three here don't (the oldest being the Peshitta), as to age white haired I might be but that long in the tooth? No.

The Apostle Peter girded himself with his outer garment and swam to Our Lord and others came by boat to the shore. No skinny dipping.
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #368 on: May 21, 2013, 06:24:40 PM »

Three here don't (the oldest being the Peshitta), as to age white haired I might be but that long in the tooth? No.

The Apostle Peter girded himself with his outer garment and swam to Our Lord and others came by boat to the shore. No skinny dipping.
Do your chairs/stools' legs wear frocks ?
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #369 on: May 21, 2013, 06:39:16 PM »

All you do is convince me even more that we should have Christian people parades, especially in the Middle East where Christians are kidnapped, tortured, killed and not allowed to be who they want to be. Should we organize the parade? ?

We have martyrs who were killed for their faith, yet they never stood up with "pride" to show the world "they're here and they're not going away".

Pride is a sin!

You want to be accepted in this world....humble yourself! Admit your faulty behavior and ask for forgiveness! Maybe then, people will actually look at you in a different way and accept to listen to you and take you seriously.

You need to stop victimize yourself like it's soooo important to legally be accepted. God needs to accept you, not the law. That's what's important. Jesus was tortured and killed and yet all He asked was for God to forgive everybody!

Choice? Of course we have a choice!

Not sure if you're addressing me directly or not. I am not gay, but I certainly do not think anyone needs to ask forgiveness for having a same-sex attraction. I don't feel the need ask God to forgive me for having diabetes or inherited social anxiety (blame would perhaps be a more natural response). If God doesn't accept people for having same-sex attraction (which, it seems, He created that way)
No, He did not, any more than He created man blind, lame, deaf or asexual.

"Male and Female He created them....from the beginning....therefore a man shall cleave to his wife."

then He is the one with the hang-up, don't you think?
No.

Thankfully most modern people seem to be more emotionally mature than God was in the OT!
The emotionally immature modern people seem to judge God in the OT by their hang-ups.

So does God not have foreknowledge, then?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #370 on: May 21, 2013, 06:40:27 PM »

When are the straight people going to have a parade?
 Roll Eyes

Why? What would be the point? Straight people haven't been attacked, killed, threatened, harassed, bullied, vilified, ostracized, and marginalized (for thousands of years) merely for being openly and publicly straight.
Until now...
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #371 on: May 21, 2013, 06:41:36 PM »

All I want to say is that...we DO have a choice.
I am living proof of it!
I might have missed on it but choice are you a living proof of?

The choice of not having sex, abstinence.

The choice to understand and accept that sex is given to us not to use it according to our desires and preferences, but to procreate and procreate only.

Any other reason for sex is a choice we make consciously. We chose to think about it and act on it.

So I guess once a woman hits menopause, she and her husband should abstain forever.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #372 on: May 21, 2013, 06:41:54 PM »

...but I also don't see a point for a gay people parade.

Homosexual people have been attacked, killed, threatened, harassed, bullied, vilified, ostracized, and marginalized (for thousands of years) merely for being homosexual. That is the point of a gay pride parade. Homosexuals and their supporters join together in solidarity and have pride in who they are, challenging antiquated religious and cultural prejudices and ignorance, saying: "We're here, and we're not going away. You can't shame us into hiding any more!" That is primarily what I think the point is.

So, where are all of the other parades for people who have had these things done to them?  
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #373 on: May 21, 2013, 06:42:41 PM »

I am living proof of it!

The choice to understand and accept that sex is given to us not to use it according to our desires and preferences, but to procreate and procreate only.

Any other reason for sex is a choice we make consciously. We chose to think about it and act on it.

so are you considering becoming a nun?

Smiley
I wish God would've blessed me in this manner, but no. I choose to get married. In September, actually. Until then, we sleep in separate bedrooms and we live like brother and sister. If he didn't agree to get baptized, and I wanted to stay in communion with my Church, I would not have any other choice but abstain for the rest of my life, as my love for him is just that....pure love. Sex is just a tool to make kids. The pleasure that comes from it, it's just a cause of our fallen state.

I know that gay people feel that pure love towards their partner, I've seen their love. All I'm saying is that they can live as brother and sister forever and they will be just fine, not to mention they will be in communion with the Church, they will be appreciated for their choice and most importantly, God will be happy!

Ok, I've said my piece. Smiley
Lord have mercy!

But wait, if you're just fine living as brother and sister with your fiance, then why bother getting married?

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #374 on: May 21, 2013, 06:44:07 PM »

I have seen 'Gay Pride' marches before and found the over the top behaviour and outfits difficult to stomach, but this protest would best described as deeply shameful and mob violence rather than a protest by Christians.

This is what I don't understand about gay pride parades. If these individuals want to be respected by the mainstream, why do they show up naked, nearly naked, or in leather/bondage outfits? Why the feathers? It boggles the mind!

It's my opinion that those who participate in such "gay pride" parades, etc.  don't give a damn about "respect"; rather, they want to flaunt their bizarreness and wantonness and depravity in the faces of those considered "mainstream" or "respectable".  It's about being "anti-establishment" and using perverse and perverted sexuality to do so.  Like I said, just my opinion.

One of my favorite gay authors said it best - if most gay men were people to be taken seriously, "faggot" would not be an insult.

A know two gay men pretty well.  I take both of them seriously and neither of them has ever rubbed my nose in their sexuality.

Thanks for your personal testimony.

I know two gay men too. One of them sent me over FaceBook's instant messaging a picture of his penis. He'd asked me before if I wanted to see it. I said no. But he sent it anyway.

My other gay friend was shocked by this.

Not all gays are general perverts.  It looks like 50% of the ones you know are.

My brother, who is homosexual, tells me the majority of them are.  Thankfully, he isn't one of them.  In fact, he is very disturbed by the fact most are sex craved maniacs.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #375 on: May 21, 2013, 06:45:18 PM »

I have seen 'Gay Pride' marches before and found the over the top behaviour and outfits difficult to stomach, but this protest would best described as deeply shameful and mob violence rather than a protest by Christians.

This is what I don't understand about gay pride parades. If these individuals want to be respected by the mainstream, why do they show up naked, nearly naked, or in leather/bondage outfits? Why the feathers? It boggles the mind!

It's my opinion that those who participate in such "gay pride" parades, etc.  don't give a damn about "respect"; rather, they want to flaunt their bizarreness and wantonness and depravity in the faces of those considered "mainstream" or "respectable".  It's about being "anti-establishment" and using perverse and perverted sexuality to do so.  Like I said, just my opinion.

One of my favorite gay authors said it best - if most gay men were people to be taken seriously, "faggot" would not be an insult.

A know two gay men pretty well.  I take both of them seriously and neither of them has ever rubbed my nose in their sexuality.

I know two gay men too. One of them sent me over FaceBook's instant messaging a picture of his penis. He'd asked me before if I wanted to see it. I said no. But he sent it anyway.

My brother, who is homosexual, tells me the majority of them are.  Thankfully, he isn't one of them.  In fact, he is very disturbed by the fact most are sex craved maniacs.

I encourage him to meet more gay people, because if you are accurately relaying what he said, his experience doesn't match up with mine.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #376 on: May 21, 2013, 06:46:01 PM »

Roll Eyes

It's called St. Patrick's Day....  

No, it isn't.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #377 on: May 21, 2013, 06:48:09 PM »

But do you get it that being straight (just like being white in large swathes of america or europe) is so built into the fabric of the society that a parade on a special day would be superfluous/ridiculous.

Dpaula
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian w/ Romanian background
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #378 on: May 21, 2013, 06:48:39 PM »

I am living proof of it!

Smiley
I wish God would've blessed me in this manner, but no. I choose to get married. In September, actually. Until then, we sleep in separate bedrooms and we live like brother and sister. If he didn't agree to get baptized, and I wanted to stay in communion with my Church, I would not have any other choice but abstain for the rest of my life, as my love for him is just that....pure love. Sex is just a tool to make kids. The pleasure that comes from it, it's just a cause of our fallen state.

I know that gay people feel that pure love towards their partner, I've seen their love. All I'm saying is that they can live as brother and sister forever and they will be just fine, not to mention they will be in communion with the Church, they will be appreciated for their choice and most importantly, God will be happy!

Lord have mercy!

But wait, if you're just fine living as brother and sister with your fiance, then why bother getting married?

Uhmmmm.....to procreate?!??!?!? As told by God! Something gay people will never be able to achieve as a married couple! Never!

Also, my wedding is not a parade, but a very private party far away from the public's eye.

Not posting anymore due to the rudeness on this site.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #379 on: May 21, 2013, 06:51:47 PM »

Christos a inviat!
 Roll Eyes

that's happening everywhere, every day. unless you live in the castro or something like that. have you been out much, lately?
No, I've never seen a parade of naked or semi-naked heterosexuals.  I don't go to such places.

Me either, but I am looking forward to it.  (Not really)
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #380 on: May 21, 2013, 06:52:22 PM »

I am living proof of it!

Smiley

Lord have mercy!

Uhmmmm.....to procreate?!??!?!? As told by God! Something gay people will never be able to achieve as a married couple! Never!

Also, my wedding is not a parade, but a very private party far away from the public's eye.

So is it safe to assume that once you hit menopause, you won't be having sex ever again?

Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #381 on: May 21, 2013, 06:54:11 PM »

Yes, sir!
Why would you continue having sex at that old age anyway?
Yuck!

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #382 on: May 21, 2013, 06:55:01 PM »

John 21.

My Bible says Peter was naked.

Were you alive 2000 years ago?

Were you?
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #383 on: May 21, 2013, 06:56:33 PM »

Yes, sir!
Yuck!
Well hope you won't be very traumatized in September . And get over the yuck factor in time.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #384 on: May 21, 2013, 06:56:51 PM »

I encourage him to meet more gay people,
ROFL!  laugh This is the richest thing I have see you post on this forum.  Thanks for the laugh!
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #385 on: May 21, 2013, 06:58:01 PM »

I am living proof of it!

Smiley

Lord have mercy!

So is it safe to assume that once you hit menopause, you won't be having sex ever again?

Is it safe to assume you will never address the discussion in a forward manner, rather attempt to side track it into areas that have little or nothing to do with the topic?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:58:50 PM by Kerdy » Logged
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #386 on: May 21, 2013, 06:59:55 PM »

I am living proof of it!

Smiley

Lord have mercy!

Is it safe to assume you will never address the discussion in a forward manner, rather attempt to side track it into areas that have little or nothing to do with the topic?

Will you?

NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #387 on: May 21, 2013, 07:03:15 PM »

I love Dpaula's responses in this thread-- even if the idea of sex=procreation is, I think, more Catholic than Orthodox.
Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #388 on: May 21, 2013, 07:03:35 PM »

Yes, sir!
Yuck!
Well hope you won't be very traumatized in September . And get over the yuck factor in time.

I have well over 20 years of sexual activity. I think it's more than enough!

Like I said....it's a choice! You don't have to make the same choices as I make.

This whole thread is about "choice".

When are you going to understand and just accept that we all make choices. Good choices, bad choices. We just choose constantly what we will say next, what we will do next, what we eat, how to dress, when to sleep, when to read, when to have sex. We have this power....to choose. If sex just take your discernment away to the point where you can't control yourself anymore, you need help! From God!

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #389 on: May 21, 2013, 07:06:39 PM »

I am living proof of it!

Smiley

Lord have mercy!

Will you?

Constantly.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #390 on: May 21, 2013, 07:07:25 PM »

I love Dpaula's responses in this thread-- even if the idea of sex=procreation is, I think, more Catholic than Orthodox.

I agree!  Clearly, Dpaula has put much thought into this with God first rather than her own wants without hiding behind slogans and "witty" comments to commit sin.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:08:52 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #391 on: May 21, 2013, 07:08:13 PM »

Smiley

Is there an official Orthodox view on sex?
Serious question. I'm curious.

NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #392 on: May 21, 2013, 07:25:49 PM »

Smiley

I don't think sex is dogmatically defined either way by the Church- but, anecdotally, I've observed that the Orthodox view sex less as a strictly utilitarian means to procreation than the healthy manifestation of a close relationship between husband and wife. My priest has delivered sermons in the past which present this view. It has also been discussed at length in other threads, which you can find by doing a forum search (look for threads relating to birth control).
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:27:05 PM by NightOwl » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #393 on: May 21, 2013, 07:32:59 PM »

Smiley

Who cares about "views"? Take a look at actions. augustin is a frequent unwanted reminder of such things around here.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #394 on: May 21, 2013, 07:55:43 PM »

Smiley

augustin is a frequent unwanted reminder of such things around here.

In what way?
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #395 on: May 21, 2013, 08:26:41 PM »

I can honestly say that when I join orthodoxchristianity.net, I had no idea that I would learn so much about my fellow forumers sex lives and proclivities. 

Carry on...

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

« Reply #396 on: May 21, 2013, 08:29:40 PM »

I can honestly say that when I join orthodoxchristianity.net, I had no idea that I would learn so much about my fellow forumers sex lives and proclivities. 

Carry on...

Roll Eyes As long as it doesn't come with too much information or frighten the horses.
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #397 on: May 21, 2013, 08:33:40 PM »

lol.  I just assumed it would be discussing theology and writing by the Church Fathers and stuff.

Silly me.

Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #398 on: May 21, 2013, 08:35:42 PM »

I suppose that if one doesn't come to the table with some kind of proof, their view on the matter does not count as valid point.

I just wanted to make it clear to these people that claim it's not a choice, that IT IS in fact a choice. And it's a choice anybody can make anytime.

I apologize for taking it too far.

Some people just need a drawing, otherwise they won't get it.

I apologize.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #399 on: May 21, 2013, 08:43:11 PM »

I suppose that if one doesn't come to the table with some kind of proof, their view on the matter does not count as valid point.

I just wanted to make it clear to these people that claim it's not a choice, that IT IS in fact a choice. And it's a choice anybody can make anytime.

I apologize.

You are fine, don't worry, but understand the proof these folks seek is against the Church and its teaching.  As my priest says, "You either accept the Orthodox Church or you reject it."  There is no middle ground.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 08:49:52 PM by Kerdy » Logged
NightOwl
High Elder

« Reply #400 on: May 21, 2013, 08:43:53 PM »

lol.  I just assumed it would be discussing theology and writing by the Church Fathers and stuff.

Silly me.

I enjoy the honesty of these forums, personally. You can thank the Internet for breaking down the usual walls of discretion...
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #401 on: May 21, 2013, 08:44:21 PM »

Silly me.
You aren't the only one. Wink
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #402 on: May 21, 2013, 08:53:38 PM »

I apologize.

lol, no no no, I didn't mean that anything you posted was inappropriate.  It is just funny what my expectations were of this forum vs what the actual debates that go on here.  I did not expect as much blasphemy and off the wall opinions as my only other forum I am on is Monachos, which has a VERY different tenor.  Cheesy

augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #403 on: May 21, 2013, 08:56:51 PM »

Where are those blasphemies  you are talking about?
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #404 on: May 21, 2013, 09:19:06 PM »

Smiley

augustin is a frequent unwanted reminder of such things around here.

In what way?

Consistently bursting the romanticized bubble of those who turn their pathology into spiritual virtue and rewrite the (often "old") world in their illness.

^----If this seems cryptic, I'll be blunt:

Socially inept folks who can't have sex and find their solution to their problem in making it a virtue clothed in the spirituality of Orthodoxy. They then like to think they are of the same mind and heart of Church Fathers speaking of and to no one like themselves. augustin reminds them of all of the above in tersely turned brilliance.

In reality, most Orthodox basically act like most folks wherever they live, perhaps more towards the slight conservative side of stuff.

This ain't complicated.

So when it comes to gays being forever celibate, well hey, if they can't have sex, no one can either, especially gays.

The more sane folks who can actually have sex pretty much whenever they want, realize that such a "cross" to be enormously difficult and are less hostile toward homosexual sin.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: