OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 07:15:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you supposed to be honest in personality tests for jobs?  (Read 708 times) Average Rating: 0
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« on: April 29, 2013, 09:01:10 PM »

Kalo Pascha.

So I applied to Lowe's and got shot down. I think it may have to do with what I put on the personality test they asked me to do. I tried to admit fault, like how I get emotional in stressful situations. Should I be less honest if I want a job?

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 09:23:52 PM »

Kalo Pascha.

So I applied to Lowe's and got shot down. I think it may have to do with what I put on the personality test they asked me to do. I tried to admit fault, like how I get emotional in stressful situations. Should I be less honest if I want a job?
supposedly the test can tell if you lie, so it doesn't make a difference, or would be worse.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 09:25:13 PM »

Kalo Pascha.

Can you be so certain you can beat the test or know what exactly they want to hear? It's just one of many ways employers have of assessing potential employees. It's invasive to privacy, but what can you do? If you get to the second round, you get to pee in a cup.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:36:24 PM »

Kalo Pascha.

Can you be so certain you can beat the test or know what exactly they want to hear? It's just one of many ways employers have of assessing potential employees. It's invasive to privacy, but what can you do? If you get to the second round, you get to pee in a cup.

It's a wonderful world.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 10:25:00 AM »

Kalo Pascha.

supposedly the test can tell if you lie, so it doesn't make a difference, or would be worse.

Bah, they can easily be manipulated, I've taken a number of them when looking for employment.  I look at them as any another test.  You need to give them the answer that the grader is looking for.  When I took tests in school or when I take them now for professional designations, I don't always agree with the answer that I give, but I know it is the one the grader wants, so I give it.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 10:37:48 AM »

Should I be less honest if I want a job?

Of course.

On a OC.net diet.
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 08:30:35 PM »

Kalo Pascha.

Bah, they can easily be manipulated, I've taken a number of them when looking for employment.  I look at them as any another test.  You need to give them the answer that the grader is looking for.  When I took tests in school or when I take them now for professional designations, I don't always agree with the answer that I give, but I know it is the one the grader wants, so I give it.

This test is not the same as what you take in school . This is not that easy to tell them what they want.

And as far as why you did not get the job you cannot be sure it was that test.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 09:54:09 AM »

Would you rather not get the job because of who you are, or not because you you faked the test?
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 10:01:19 AM »

"There are six things which the Lord hates, seven which are an abomination to Him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that make haste to run to do evil, a false witness who breathes out lies, and a man who sows discord among brothers." (Proverbs 6:16-19; Cf 11:1, 12:17, 17:4, 21:28, 25:14, 18)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"For we pray to God that you may not do what is wrong…but that you may do what is honest…for we cannot do anything against the truth, but only for the truth." (2 Corinthians 13:7-8)

Honesty also means to act truly and openly, without pretense, or the presentation of a false image of oneself. It means, in a word, not to be a hypocrite.
http://oca.org/orthodoxy/the-orthodox-faith/spirituality/the-virtues/honesty

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 10:23:11 AM »

Good luck finding a job, then.

Remember, you don't need to dredge up all your past wrongs....and admit to them.

Afterall, if we look at this from an Orthodox point of view....if you have confessed your sins.....you are to put them behind you and move on.

No need to tell the prospective employer you stole a stapler from the last one.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:23:55 AM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 10:23:28 AM »

Answer consistently.  This is the most important thing.  They are putting barriers between you and your livelihood.  If you are what they are looking for, by all means answer honestly.  If not, answer to make yourself look good, but you must be consistent.  

Keep in mind, you aren't trying to get into the CIA or an emergency service.  They have no business asking some underpaid clerk to go though psychological exams.  The only real consideration is will you get the job?
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 10:26:39 AM »

Answer consistently.  This is the most important thing.  They are putting barriers between you and your livelihood.  If you are what they are looking for, by all means answer honestly.  If not, answer to make yourself look good, but you must be consistent.  

Keep in mind, you aren't trying to get into the CIA or an emergency service.  They have no business asking some underpaid clerk to go though psychological exams.  The only real consideration is will you get the job?

Personally....I hate when they ask whether I am married.  They don't ask the men that.

I also don't think your credit score ought to influence your potential quality as an employee.  If someone has a poor score, that doesn't automatically mean they are lazy or useless.  Perhaps the person fell on hard times, an illness, etc.  It shouldn't count against people.

...and auto insurance too.  In Michigan your rates go up and your credit score goes down.  Why?  Are you a worse driver because you owe more money to someone?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 10:51:08 AM »

Personally....I hate when they ask whether I am married.  They don't ask the men that.

I also don't think your credit score ought to influence your potential quality as an employee.  If someone has a poor score, that doesn't automatically mean they are lazy or useless.  Perhaps the person fell on hard times, an illness, etc.  It shouldn't count against people.

...and auto insurance too.  In Michigan your rates go up and your credit score goes down.  Why?  Are you a worse driver because you owe more money to someone?

Orthonorm said it best: "It's a wonderful world".

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 12:48:09 PM »

Here's one of the big things they are looking for in a personality test. They actually will ask the same question several different times, but reworded. If your answers to those questions vary, they will think you are lying and you will fail the test.

Also, they are looking for someone whose personality will work with the job description.

I actually think that personality tests should be illegal. They are not only a huge invasion of privacy, but they are also descriminatory against people who have certain personality types. That kind of descrimination is is up there with racism.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 12:48:17 PM »

They have no business asking some underpaid clerk to go though psychological exams.  
I agree with this part. They are asking for information to which they have no right.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 02:00:35 PM »

"Personally....I hate when they ask whether I am married.  They don't ask the men that."

They are hitting on you.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 02:03:47 PM »

They have no business asking some underpaid clerk to go though psychological exams.  
I agree with this part. They are asking for information to which they have no right.

And that's the point you get up, thank the interviewer, and leave.  They can ask whatever they want.

Personally, I wish they'd do that at my job so I didn't have to deal with all the Munchausen by proxy and narcisissm I encounter on a daily basis, but that's just me.  After all, i'm the model employee.

(that last bit was sarcasm, people)

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 02:06:27 PM »

I actually think that personality tests should be illegal. They are not only a huge invasion of privacy, but they are also descriminatory against people who have certain personality types. That kind of descrimination is is up there with racism.

They also don't work.

The best advice I've been given considering such tests is to always go for the 'alert a supervisor' option. Unless you're going for a supervisor position, the tip will work for any kind of job. You may believe, even know, that you can deal with situation X by yourself, but you'll have to show that after you get on board.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »

From an HR standpoint, it's not the same because personalities can change and a good HR person will NOT (and does not) hire or fire based solely on personality. 

By your logic, an overqualified (and usually over-educated) person who just wants to work at McDonald's drive thru should be given the job over a qualified but unlucky person who just didn't turn in an application in time simply because the former can do the job but without any thought given to the fact that, historically, such people quit after a short period of time because they're bored.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 02:26:34 PM »

They also don't work.

The best advice I've been given considering such tests is to always go for the 'alert a supervisor' option. Unless you're going for a supervisor position, the tip will work for any kind of job. You may believe, even know, that you can deal with situation X by yourself, but you'll have to show that after you get on board.

I think you're right about them not working.  They are probably not much more accurate or useful for the vast majority of jobs than if the employer were to read tea leaves, construct someone's "horoscope", or consult the I Ching.  Now, perhaps a case could be made for them for very high-level positions, or positions requiring a decent security clearance or access to and use of weapons, etc.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 04:24:10 PM »

If I can be honest on them and still get job offers, there is no reason for almost anyone on the planet to lie...

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 06:46:23 PM »

If I can be honest on them and still get job offers, there is no reason for almost anyone on the planet to lie...

No doubt.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2013, 10:04:23 PM »

Employers are doing credit checks now, insofar as a credit score?

Insanity.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2013, 10:09:13 PM »

Here's one of the big things they are looking for in a personality test. They actually will ask the same question several different times, but reworded. If your answers to those questions vary, they will think you are lying and you will fail the test.
Well yeah it's cross examination.

I lie on all of them just to look like the best candidate possible. Of course if I was honest I'd fail everytime.

I agree, but they seem utterly useless for certain positions like a cashier. They should ask questions around 10-key, count money, operate a register, etc. and filter out folks that way...but even still someone could learn it if they don't know.

Is there not a need to filter out 100 candidates before the interview process?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2013, 10:10:08 PM »

It's a wonderful world.
Coming from the mouth of Walgreens, I would have called you a liar.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 10:31:25 PM »

Another problem.

Bachelor degrees required for jobs that take a 10th grade education to do well in.

When I was job searching, salaries in the 35K+ were requiring bachelor degrees. Of course there are exceptions, but this seemed to be the norm.

So when you get yourself in a lot of student loan debt a degree, you can look forward to the pride and reward of a 35K salary.

Because we all know getting a bachelor's degree gets you a white picket fence, a house, a new car, 100K salary etc., or wait was that the lie that was spewed from the entire duration of high school? I've had plenty of teachers threaten students they would wind up at McDonald's if they didn't go to college.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 10:32:00 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 11:40:01 PM »

Such tests are essentially hocus pocus and even doing what sounds good on it can get you rejected, ie. you sound too good - so they'll think something is wrong with you.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2013, 11:44:03 PM »

Credit ratings are also hocus pocus. When I checked mine out (which should be impeccable, I've never had debt I couldn't pay immediately) I found they had stuff on there of my relatives that I have had never had any financial connection to at all. Got that fixed, but I'm sure people plenty of other people who have never looked at theirs have all kinds of stuff that makes no sense on it.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 08:54:13 AM »

Another problem.

Bachelor degrees required for jobs that take a 10th grade education to do well in.

When I was job searching, salaries in the 35K+ were requiring bachelor degrees. Of course there are exceptions, but this seemed to be the norm.

So when you get yourself in a lot of student loan debt a degree, you can look forward to the pride and reward of a 35K salary.

Because we all know getting a bachelor's degree gets you a white picket fence, a house, a new car, 100K salary etc., or wait was that the lie that was spewed from the entire duration of high school? I've had plenty of teachers threaten students they would wind up at McDonald's if they didn't go to college.

It is only very recently that the lies of higher education are becoming known.  My sympathy is out to those who believed it before.  I think at this point, anyone else getting into student debt deserves what they get.  No one should take a step further after high school until they figure out how they are going to utilize their education.  Technical training is going to start looking nice.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 10:06:07 AM »

Credit ratings are also hocus pocus. When I checked mine out (which should be impeccable, I've never had debt I couldn't pay immediately) I found they had stuff on there of my relatives that I have had never had any financial connection to at all. Got that fixed, but I'm sure people plenty of other people who have never looked at theirs have all kinds of stuff that makes no sense on it.

60 minutes ran a story a couple months back about this very issue.  There are some lawmakers having to introduce new bills because of the corruption that goes unchecked in the three credit bureaus.  Very scary!

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 10:13:31 AM »

Personally, I wish they'd do that at my job so I didn't have to deal with all the Munchausen by proxy and narcisissm I encounter on a daily basis, but that's just me.
Lawyers are narcissistic?  That's crazy talk.

After all, i'm the model employee.
But of course.  Smiley

« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 10:14:07 AM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 03:10:59 PM »

Another problem.

There is a certain injustice in demanding a college degree for a job that doesn't really require college level training. I think it's discriminatory against people who cannot afford to go to college, and cannot afford to rack up $200,000 in college loans, only to get a job earning 35K.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 03:10:59 PM »

Another problem.

It is only very recently that the lies of higher education are becoming known.  My sympathy is out to those who believed it before.  I think at this point, anyone else getting into student debt deserves what they get.  No one should take a step further after high school until they figure out how they are going to utilize their education.  Technical training is going to start looking nice.
Agreed. And people need to be very careful about what they major in. There is no sense in racking up tons of student loan debt earning a degree in history. You will never get a return on that investment. - Says the Philosophy major. Grin

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 05:11:46 PM »

Another problem.

It is only very recently that the lies of higher education are becoming known.  My sympathy is out to those who believed it before.  I think at this point, anyone else getting into student debt deserves what they get.  No one should take a step further after high school until they figure out how they are going to utilize their education.  Technical training is going to start looking nice.
As I've said in the past, I think the problem with higher education is as much about degree creep as student loans.

Degrees have become mainly about proving you're smarter than the competition in general. In the old days, few went to college, so having a degree was a ticket to the middle class. As college education became more universal, an increasing number of professions, including journalists, clerks, cooks, and health care techs, began "requiring" some sort of college degree. Needless to say, they don't actually require these degrees, except everyone else gets them, so they must get them as well - if not pile another degree on top of this.

We'd be better off by far if we just had people take general aptitude tests for work. They've been shown to be more accurate than education or prior work experience in predicting productivity.

And with more younger adults in so much debt to pay off, they are starting families at a much older age and buying homes.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:12:09 PM by Achronos » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 06:41:21 PM »

Lie on the test, then confess your sin. Shocked

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 07:05:56 PM »

This thread I learned sinning is always fine, you just have to confess!

Go, and sin no more!

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: