Author Topic: A Blessing for all of you from me...The Aaronic blessing in Hebrew  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Yeshua HaDerekh

• Elder
If they hear not Moshe and the Nevi'im, neither will they be persuaded by one that rose from the dead.

Offline Cantor Krishnich

• High Elder
  • Mar Ahmed the Daftadar
Re: A Blessing for all of you from me...The Aaronic blessing in Hebrew
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 08:29:20 PM »

*face-palm*

That's a nice gesture but I'd much rather receive blessings from an Orthodox Christian priest.

I dont mean to be rude when I say that the "Messianic Jews" very badly mispronounce Hebrew and the various Jewish chant tones.
Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, Have Mercy Upon Me a Sinner!

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2013, 10:21:27 AM »
Messianic Jews always strike me as people who would be really good at LARPing.  :laugh:
God bless!

Offline Romaios

• Archon
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2013, 11:11:30 AM »
Messianic Jews always strike me as people who would be really good at LARPing.  :laugh:

Here's what the real thing looks like: Birkhat Kohanim at the Kotel (Temple wall) - ברכת כהנים בכותל המערבי בסוכות

The kohanim are supposed to have their faces completely covered in the talit when they are called forward to give the Aaronic blessing. Blessing hands look like this (if you see them on a tomb in a Jewish cemetery, it belongs to a kohen):

Offline Jason.Wike

• OC.net guru
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 01:19:34 PM by Jason.Wike »

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Why am I still here?
  • Faith: Mongol-Finnic Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Priestly Society of St. John Ireland
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »

Here's what the real thing looks like: Birkhat Kohanim at the Kotel (Temple wall) - ברכת כהנים בכותל המערבי בסוכות

Beautiful! Perhaps Hebrew is not that ugly language after all.
I just need to find out how to say it in Slavonic!

Offline Yeshua HaDerekh

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 07:06:32 PM »

The kohanim are supposed to have their faces completely covered in the talit when they are called forward to give the Aaronic blessing. Blessing hands look like this (if you see them on a tomb in a Jewish cemetery, it belongs to a kohen):

Yes, I have seen that video before. Again, that is a tradition.  Yes, it is supposed to represent the letter shin. Jewish tradition states the Divine Presence would shine through the fingers of the priests as they blessed the people, and no one was allowed to look at this out of respect for God.  The Kohen is not the only one allowed to recite it. 
If they hear not Moshe and the Nevi'im, neither will they be persuaded by one that rose from the dead.

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline Yeshua HaDerekh

• Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 07:13:07 PM »
the abbreviated Vulcan version  ;)