OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 29, 2014, 02:35:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: faith : unsure. show me your "christ"  (Read 1230 times) Average Rating: 0
slaviccrusader

Faith: unsure

« on: April 29, 2013, 02:53:12 PM »

greetings my brothers and sisters

Basically I am here to learn about Orthodox Christianity.

A little about me ( ill keep it short )

I am slaviccrusader. I am in my mid 20's.

I had a Roman Catholic up brining and attended both a Catholic primary school and a Catholic all boys secondary school. (I was heavily influenced my Belarusian Old believer grandmother).

When I was 18 I left the rcc and joined Judaism for 5 years but now I consider myself Agnostic. 
A few questions......
What is Orthodox Christianity all about ?
In 10 words or less Who is an Orthodox Christian?
other then heaven what can Orthodox Christianity offer me? please dont write truth.

regards slaviccrusader

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 03:05:06 PM »

other then heaven what can Orthodox Christianity offer me? please dont write truth.

What are you looking for? Hopefully, it is God, who is the ultimate truth. Union with God is the purpose of any religious activity. You may receive peace, joy and wisdom, among other things, but better than all of them is God.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 03:13:13 PM »

Anyone who could probably wouldn't post here.

A conundrum for the ages.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 09:02:04 PM »

If you want a real answer, go to an Orthodox church and pray to God. Repeat until death. That is all.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 11:18:04 PM »

I had a Roman Catholic up brining and attended both a Catholic primary school and a Catholic all boys secondary school. (I was heavily influenced my Belarusian Old believer grandmother).

When I was 18 I left the rcc and joined Judaism for 5 years but now I consider myself Agnostic.  
A few questions......

regards slaviccrusader

10 words or less.
can't write truth.

Can you summarize the RCC church in 10 words or less?
Summarizing Eastern Orthodox Christianity in 10 words or less would be incredibly hard, if not impossible, at least for me, to be conclusive at all.

I believe you would do better with a link of the Orthodox Church beliefs.
http://www.goarch.org/ourfaith/ourfaith7063
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 11:19:44 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
slaviccrusader

Faith: unsure

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 04:18:00 AM »

Yeh Christianity isn't for me.
Once you know it's origins its hard to forget.
It's recycled mythology of ancient sumeria and egypt.

Google zeitgeist

Love
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 04:38:10 AM »

Google zeitgeist

Love

As someone that has actually academically studied religions and their history I call tell you Zeitgeist is complete bull. Literally none of the correspondences between Christianity and other religions they claim are true.

If you're interested in the truth google "debunking zeitgeist" and there are a number of examples that do so. As it is, 1000 pages could easily be written about the errors in it, errors that simply cannot be disputed (ex. The idea that Krishna was crucified, that his mother was a virgin or conceived him supernaturally, none which have ever existed outside Zeitgeist).

Here's just one example, from Hindus, denying the claims between Krishna and Jesus
:
"Believe me, none of the things said about Krishna by these people are true. But they can get away with blatantly false information because few people know much about Krishna."
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:51:55 AM by Jason.Wike » Logged
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 04:39:37 AM »

A few questions......

regards slaviccrusader

Very simply the Orthodox Church is the Body of Christ on earth. To know Christ truly is to commune with his body

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
john_mo
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 04:41:56 AM »

Google zeitgeist

Love

I'm surprised that there are some people out there who still believe that Zeitgeist was a well researched piece of work.  It's been thoroughly debunked.  Even skeptics have abandoned it.

Basically it has a Christ-myther agenda which relies on the demonstrably flawed approach of drawing parallels from Jesus and various mythological beings and then concluding that Jesus must not have existed. The two main reasons why this approach is no longer taken seriously in the academic world is because the vast majority of parallels from other religions are poorly sourced, if there is indeed a source.  Secondly, the logic is faulty.  You can explain away almost anyone who existed by drawing parallels to other people.  Hence, Abe Lincoln is a myth taken from John F. Kennedy http://www.tektonics.org/af/abehomer.html.

slaviccursader, don't fall for that internet trash.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:53:41 AM by john_mo » Logged

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 05:36:16 AM »

Google zeitgeist

Love

So on a thread where someone's asking about Orthodox Christianity your comment is relevant how?

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 05:41:29 AM »

What exactly is zeitgeist? I had never heard of it before I discovered Orthodoxy.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 05:56:28 AM »

What exactly is zeitgeist? I had never heard of it before I discovered Orthodoxy.

Definition

Though most of the times the term is dragged out, it refers to a 'documentary', the first of a series.

The first one is available on YouTube, though I can't be bothered to look for the others.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 06:18:43 AM »

Someone in full communion with the Orthodox Church.

Eight words. Do I get a cookie now?

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
DuxI

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Macedonian Orthodox Church

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 06:20:32 AM »

Google zeitgeist

Love

You consider Zeitgeist an accurate documentary about history?! Zeitgeist is biased, and if you do some research through historical documents, you will see that many things that are said in Zeitgeist are not true. For example, they say that the ancient Egyptian "goddess" Isis also had the name Maria....can you show me historical sources that can confirm that?
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: +

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 08:13:09 AM »

Google zeitgeist

Love

If you sincerely want to learn about Orthodoxy, then you can learn a lot here. If you want to convince people here that Christianity is untrue, you'll have to do a lot better than Zeitgeist. Welcome to the forum!

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 10:07:30 AM »

An Orthodox Christian is a Roman Catholic without a pope.

I fulfilled all the requirements. 10 words and I did not write the truth.  Grin

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 11:29:04 AM »

An Orthodox Christian is a Roman Catholic without a pope.

I fulfilled all the requirements. 10 words and I did not write the truth.  Grin

I saw what you did there. Cheesy

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 01:50:55 PM »

If you want a real answer, go to an Orthodox church and pray to God. Repeat until death. That is all.

^  At 20 words little verbose  Grin Grin, but it gets my vote for best answer.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 02:18:33 PM »

Show me your Christ, eh.

Kids these days.  Next he'll ask if he can put his fingers in the nail holes.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 04:28:10 PM »

It is a conspiracy theory documentary, part of which tries to show Christianity has copied every facet of its belief from earlier religions. The sad thing is, every parallel it draws they have literally made up out of nothing. It seems convincing to those who have no knowledge of the religions they are saying these myths exist in, but to those who do it simply falls flat. They say things like Dionysus was crucified, where there is nothing at all you can find that comes close to that.

I'm most familiar with the inaccuracies concerning Hinduism, and here's an example of how much they simply made up: They say Krishna was born on December 25 - when Janmashtami, his birthday celebration, is in July. They claim he said he was the 'son of God' or 'only begotten son of god' when these words appear nowhere in the Puranas or Srimad Bhagavatam. They say his mother Devaki was a virgin when she had at least five children before him. They say Kamsa killed all the children in the town like Herod did, but he didn't - Kamsa knew Krishna was going to be born to Devaki and kill him so Kamsa kept killing her children. They say Krishna had a ministry like Jesus, where there is simply nothing like that in the Hindu texts - Krishna only ever told one person, Arjuna, that he was God. They even claim he was crucified - the actual story about his death is a hunter thought he was a deer and tried to shoot him, and he simply disappeared altogether.

Honestly, if their 'scholars' have any actual credentials they should be stripped of them with prejudice.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:35:29 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 04:31:42 PM »

What exactly is zeitgeist?

Some youtube mini documentary series that was "the bomb" in the digital atheist world around 06-07.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 05:20:24 PM »

It is a conspiracy theory documentary, part of which tries to show Christianity has copied every facet of its belief from earlier religions. The sad thing is, every parallel it draws they have literally made up out of nothing. It seems convincing to those who have no knowledge of the religions they are saying these myths exist in, but to those who do it simply falls flat. They say things like Dionysus was crucified, where there is nothing at all you can find that comes close to that.

I'm most familiar with the inaccuracies concerning Hinduism, and here's an example of how much they simply made up: They say Krishna was born on December 25 - when Janmashtami, his birthday celebration, is in July. They claim he said he was the 'son of God' or 'only begotten son of god' when these words appear nowhere in the Puranas or Srimad Bhagavatam. They say his mother Devaki was a virgin when she had at least five children before him. They say Kamsa killed all the children in the town like Herod did, but he didn't - Kamsa knew Krishna was going to be born to Devaki and kill him so Kamsa kept killing her children. They say Krishna had a ministry like Jesus, where there is simply nothing like that in the Hindu texts - Krishna only ever told one person, Arjuna, that he was God. They even claim he was crucified - the actual story about his death is a hunter thought he was a deer and tried to shoot him, and he simply disappeared altogether.

Honestly, if their 'scholars' have any actual credentials they should be stripped of them with prejudice.

Has this ever been taking seriously in the real world? Because I have never encountered an atheist who tried to show connections between Christianity and other religions.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 06:15:11 PM »

Has this ever been taking seriously in the real world? Because I have never encountered an atheist who tried to show connections between Christianity and other religions.

It seems so. People fell hook, line and sinker for it for a while. There are a lot of fans of 'Acharya S' who made up most of this stuff and you can find her/his (her/his purpoted picture is a female, but I think everything about the author is a concoction) books in mainstream book stores.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 06:29:57 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 09:47:08 PM »

Zeitgeist...

Hahahaha...  Where the "sun/son" is in the center of the zodiac, with a cross..

That is just a terrible documentary.  The thing that stinks is other than the religious front, it covers some very important information.  Kind of like "gives good info" to draw one in, then slams you with a fake elephant.

The man never read the excerpts of Pilate, or cared to read St. Polycarp's writings... Or any early Christian writings for that matter.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »

Zeitgeist was better as a concept of German thought. You Tube, bah.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2013, 09:36:06 AM »

Do the proponents/creators of Zeitgeist not know of the Genetic Fallacy when using logic?
john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2013, 10:29:09 AM »

Do the proponents/creators of Zeitgeist not know of the Genetic Fallacy when using logic?

I'm guessing that they would think it was a creation of the Illuminati designed to control us.

Love is not blind; that is the last thing that it is. Love is bound; and the more it is bound the less it is blind.

—G.K. Chesterton
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 01:52:21 AM »

1. Not
2. what
3. can
4. offer
5. him,
6. but
7. what
8. he
9. can
10. offer
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:52:47 AM by lovesupreme » Logged

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 03:36:55 AM »

1. Not
2. what
3. can
4. offer
5. him,
6. but
7. what
8. he
9. can
10. offer

Now explain to the OP why the Gospels are accurate and historically reliable in 4.5 words, and you aren't allowed to use the words "eyewitness", "account", "testimony" or the letter E.

—G.K. Chesterton
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 04:51:35 AM »

regards slaviccrusader

Do you want truth or the comfort of a lie?
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 08:14:49 AM »

1. Not
2. what
3. can
4. offer
5. him,
6. but
7. what
8. he
9. can
10. offer

Now explain to the OP why the Gospels are accurate and historically reliable in 4.5 words, and you aren't allowed to use the words "eyewitness", "account", "testimony" or the letter E.

laugh

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 08:28:33 AM »

1. Not
2. what
3. can
4. offer
5. him,
6. but
7. what
8. he
9. can
10. offer

Oh, hi there, Madam Vastra Cheesy

lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2013, 12:59:06 PM »

1. Not
2. what
3. can
4. offer
5. him,
6. but
7. what
8. he
9. can
10. offer

1. Saints
2-2.5. aren't
3.5. sufficing
4.5. proof?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 01:03:51 PM by lovesupreme » Logged

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2013, 07:55:36 PM »

Hmm, so still havent' replied? So basically, drive by trolling.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2013, 10:25:46 PM »

It's a Hegelian term, I'm sure orthonorm would know all about its philosophical implications.

On internet religious forums it usually refers to a conspiracy documentary claiming 9/11 was a hoax and that Christianity is recycled from older religions.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2013, 11:11:41 PM »

Are there still a lot of atheists hung up on the Christ-myth junk?

If they got passed that hurdle, we could start seeing some real thought against Christianity. I usually avoid all of those mythers because they don't want to think.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 11:12:11 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2013, 11:22:20 PM »

Zeitgeist is the spirit of the age. For instance when people talk about the 60s they talk about a spirit of free love, etc. (even though this didn't permeate the entire decade)

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2013, 11:23:45 PM »

If they got passed that hurdle, we could start seeing some real thought against Christianity. I usually avoid all of those mythers because they don't want to think.

Recently I saw a revisionist historian saying that there was NO evidence for Christ. He must have got his doctorate by mail, because the bible is evidence

Whether one accepts a testimony or not doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2013, 11:42:37 PM »

Thankfully, their numbers are dwindling rapidly.

EDIT: Although, now that I think about it, that may not be a good thing, their arguments were always the most hilarious.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 11:45:20 PM by pmpn8rGPT » Logged

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2013, 05:33:20 AM »

Recently I saw a revisionist historian saying that there was NO evidence for Christ. He must have got his doctorate by mail, because the bible is evidence

Whether one accepts a testimony or not doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Not to mention the abundance of other evidence.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2013, 05:36:15 AM »

EDIT: Although, now that I think about it, that may not be a good thing, their arguments were always the most hilarious.

Plenty of them left on Yahoo Answers. Wink

john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2013, 01:41:14 PM »

Whenever I here anyone shout "no evidence", I now immediately know that they are dishonest or amateurs.  They confuse the word "evidence" with the words "infallible proof".  Even the atheistic scholars would say there is evidence.

Interesting how testimony is enough evidence to convict/exonerate someone in court, but it is not even worth considering in matters of religion.  Even scientific facts are  testimony and hearsay unless you have witnessed each and every one for yourself, and who has done that?

—G.K. Chesterton
adampjr
Karamazov

Penguin

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2013, 02:16:23 PM »

Zeitgeist isn't much of anything. It draws a few lazy correlations between the Christian narrative and some Egyptian and Sumerian myths, and does nothing more.
john_mo
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2013, 04:22:59 PM »

Zeitgeist isn't much of anything. It draws a few lazy correlations between the Christian narrative and some Egyptian and Sumerian myths, and does nothing more.

C'mon, that's not really fair.  There was that one gem where they claimed that Christians must've stole the idea of Jesus being the "Son" of God from the ancient Egyptians who worshiped the "sun" as God.  That can't be a simple coincidence! Not only did that explain where the Son of God belief came from, but it also proves how the early Church spoke English instead of Aramaic or Greek.  I mean, it's just so obvious!

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 04:23:31 PM by john_mo » Logged

—G.K. Chesterton
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: