OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 01:42:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Egyptians in the Boston Area  (Read 356 times) Average Rating: 0
Irish45

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin

« on: April 28, 2013, 09:08:50 PM »

Hello all, I am a longtime lurker on these forums.  I come here every couple of weeks and this is my favorite forum on the board because it's taught me so much about the Oriental Orthodox Churches.  I have a great deal of respect for them and when I saw this article I thought of the forum here and figured I'd share it with you all.  I thought this was the most appropriate form for it but if it's not then please move it mods Smiley

Boston.com is owned by the Boston Globe which is owned by the NY Times. It is a very anti-catholic newspaper and anti-christian.  Only if a christian denomination complies with there agenda do they give favorable coverage.  This article is about the large Egyptian community in the Boston Suburb of Milford.  I'ts more about an Egyptian Evangelical Church but it does mention the Coptic Church.  They don't bad mouth the Coptic Church, but I do feel this article would leave the uneducated reader with a bad understanding of the Coptic Church.  Do you agree?  Here is the article.  On a side note, I was unaware that there were even Evangelical churches in the Egyptian Community!  It seems I have a lot more learning to do myself! 
May the Peace of Christ be with you.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/2013/04/27/coptic-christians-settle-milford/9HUIN4PsdmvCEZcHfaYHLM/story.html
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 11:24:55 PM »

Hi,

Interesting article, thanks! 

I'm no expert on the Copts, so I don't know if there's more here that they would feel depicted their Church in a bad light.  The only thing I picked up on was the "language issue".  And honestly, that's a problem in many Eastern and Oriental parishes of all stripes.  Maybe some people would read that and think the Copts aren't interested in assimilating or something, but I figure most people will just assume the Copts "cater" more to immigrants or focus more on maintaining old world traditions, whereas Evangelicals are usually more "modern".  It's not the whole story, but it's not abhorrent. 

At any rate, most Coptic parishes I've been to seem to have more than one priest, and so they can have an "Arabic" and an "English" liturgy every Sunday; and in the parishes with one priest, there was always a good balance of the two.  And every Coptic parish I've visited has projected the full text of the liturgy (in three languages) onto projector screens or flat-screen TV's set up in the church.  I'm not that big a fan of using modern technology in this way, but I've gotta admit it makes it easy for almost anyone to follow what's going on.   

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 07:59:48 AM »

Welcome to the forum, Irish45!

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 05:12:59 PM »

There's a Coptic Church near Boston:

http://www.stmarkboston.org

We even have a retreat center in the area:

http://stmaryvineyard.net

There are a huge number of priests in this church it looks like, which means they serve a huge community with multiple services, and by the looks of things, might even have English services.  But I'm not from Boston, so I don't know.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Irish45

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 11:48:01 PM »

Hello, thanks for the replies!  Sorry to back to you so late.  My life has been extremely busy these past 6 months.  I'm glad no one else sees anything really biased in the article, it might just be me.  The Boston Globe is anti-catholic and basically anti any Christian group with traditional values. I guess I have to take a look in the mirror!   
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: