OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 02:50:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sacraments during Liturgy  (Read 1909 times) Average Rating: 0
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« on: April 28, 2013, 09:45:51 AM »

How common among you is to have baptisms/chrismations or marriages performed during Liturgy?

I've witnessed a few baptisms/chrismations but it's not the norm here. I've also heard about one marriage performed that way.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: <Insert your favourite patriotic attribute here> Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 09:55:37 AM »

Every single Chrismation that I've seen here has been done during regular sunday liturgy but that might be due to the fact that they've all been adult converts. It could be that infants are baptized and chrismated privately.

AFAIK marriages are rarely celebrated during liturgies. I'm aware of two such instances.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 10:12:34 AM »

In the Greek tradition, both weddings and baptisms are big affairs, so they are performed separately - baptisms usually in the late morning/early afternoon and weddings in the evening. I've never attended a chrismation alone, but I can see it taking place during Liturgy, so that the newly received can take Communion immediately afterwards.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 10:56:13 AM »

I've never attended a chrismation alone, but I can see it taking place during Liturgy, so that the newly received can take Communion immediately afterwards.

Infants have no need to take Communion immediately afterwards?

mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 10:58:58 AM »

we usually do baptism or chrismation just before raising of incense; before liturgy.
when there are 2 priests, and when everything is running late (!) baptism can take place during the raising of incense / first part of liturgy, but normally it should be done first.
it can be done separately, but this is not common.
weddings are often done separately, as it takes the bride at least 4 hours to do hair and make up, and that would be just too much fasting to have the liturgy late in the afternoon after the wedding!
 Wink
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 11:06:14 AM »

weddings are often done separately, as it takes the bride at least 4 hours to do hair and make up

LOL. Some things are universal.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:06:26 AM by Alpo » Logged

Arachne
Section Moderator
Archon

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »

I've never attended a chrismation alone, but I can see it taking place during Liturgy, so that the newly received can take Communion immediately afterwards.

Not necessarily. Our custom is taking the baby to church for Communion, together with the baptismal candle, for the three Sundays following baptism.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 11:23:58 AM »

Not necessarily. Our custom is taking the baby to church for Communion, together with the baptismal candle, for the three Sundays following baptism.

While I respect your tradition and I don't want to suggest that any parish should do things differently than they're used to I still don't understand your idea. What's the difference between infants and adults? Both are sinful human beings after all so I fail to understand what's the theological reason for different customs for different age groups. Both desperately need to partake the Body and Blood of Christ so why to delay it?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:25:37 AM by Alpo » Logged

Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 11:29:26 AM »

Infants are not "delayed" Eucharist. If there is no Liturgy with baptism how they can receive It immediately afterwards?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Arachne
Section Moderator
Archon

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 11:34:58 AM »

As I said, I've never been to an adult chrismation. It might be very well done separately too, like infant baptisms.

Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 11:42:10 AM »

Infants are not "delayed" Eucharist. If there is no Liturgy with baptism how they can receive It immediately afterwards?

If an infant baptism and chrismation is done privately, outside of the Sunday Divine Liturgy, then the priest communes the infant from the Reserved Sacrament in the Tabernacle.  I've seen this done in Greek and Antiochian churches.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 12:09:04 PM »

If an infant baptism and chrismation is done privately, outside of the Sunday Divine Liturgy, then the priest communes the infant from the Reserved Sacrament in the Tabernacle.  I've seen this done in Greek and Antiochian churches.

Most private batisms I've attended were performed at houses or in some chapels that had no tabernacles.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Gamliel
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 12:12:06 PM »

I don't know if this counts, but we had a couple who became catechumens right after Liturgy a few weeks ago.
Tikhon29605
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 12:27:24 PM »

Most private batisms I've attended were performed at houses or in some chapels that had no tabernacles.

Thanks for your response, Michael.

I've never witnessed that.  All the private baptisms I have ever seen were celebrated in the parish church.

You do make a good point.  Without a tabernacle, there would be no reserved Sacrament from which to commune the newly baptized.

I guess if you had to wait until the next Divine Liturgy and bring the infant to church for his first communion it would not be the end of the world.  I know different local Churches have different customs.  You are in Poland, correct?
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 12:33:02 PM »

You are in Poland, correct?

Correct.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tikhon29605
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 12:38:31 PM »

I would love to visit Poland someday.  A friend of mine recently took several trips there and he showed me some videos he took in Krakow.  It was just such a beautiful city.  I have studied some Polish history (mostly 19th and 20th century stuff), but I would like to learn the medieval history of Poland better.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 11:21:58 PM »

Can't they partake of the reserved Holy Gifts? The priest has the ability to take these to the baptism.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:22:57 PM by Shanghaiski » Logged

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 07:08:47 AM »

Can't they partake of the reserved Holy Gifts? The priest has the ability to take these to the baptism.

Why is it so important to participate in Eucharist directly after the baptism and not 3 days later?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
soderquj

Jurisdiction: GOAA, Metropolis of Denver

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 09:45:16 AM »

Why is it so important to participate in Eucharist directly after the baptism and not 3 days later?

At my Baptism (as an adult) I received communion as part of the service. Baptism, Chrismation, and Communion are usually all part of the whole service.

O God, cleanse me a sinner and have mercy on me.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 10:04:12 AM »

At my Baptism (as an adult) I received communion as part of the service. Baptism, Chrismation, and Communion are usually all part of the whole service.

What kind of service?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 10:16:34 AM »

I believe he is referring to Baptism.

During the service the individual get's baptized, chrismated and communes.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »

I don't know if this applies to the Byzantine rite, but in the West Syriac rite, we are taught that the Eucharist is the "Final" sacrament, which completes all other sacraments. So the other sacraments are usually performed either during or after the Qurbana, or with a reserved Eucharist.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 11:18:54 AM »

Anecdotally, I was chrismated on Saturday night right before Vespers and received communion the first time on the follow day.  My godparents infant daughter was baptized and chrismated on a Saturday afternoon (long before Vespers).  As I recall, she received communion for the first time the following day.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
mildert
Deacon Philip

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 03:58:49 PM »

The main reason is that receiving Communion is the fulfillment and completion of our Baptism.

In XC,

Deacon Philip
mildert
Deacon Philip

Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Russian Orthodox Churches in Western Europe - Exarchate of the Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2013, 04:02:38 PM »

I would say that private baptisms should be discouraged excepted in extreme circumstances.  During baptism we become incorporate in the Church, therefore anyone from the Church who wishes to should be able to be present to welcome the person into a new life in Christ.

In XC,

Deacon Philip
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2013, 05:20:33 PM »

I would say that private baptisms should be discouraged excepted in extreme circumstances.  During baptism we become incorporate in the Church, therefore anyone from the Church who wishes to should be able to be present to welcome the person into a new life in Christ.

In my uncle's church regular temperature in Winter is -7 - -10oC. In most churches it does not cross 10oC. Liturgy baptisms certainly would be fun.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
TinyDancer

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 10:50:03 AM »

We used to frequently have both chrismations and baptisms during Liturgy- for some reason I heard they're not allowed anymore?
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 01:36:37 PM »

I was baptised during Liturgy. The liturgy and the Baptism are intertwined into the service, which I believe is called a Baptismal Divine Liturgy, which my priest has a blessing onto perform.

Before we did this, we had the baptisms on Sunday, right before Liturgy/Hours started, then proceeded with a liturgy afterwards(or so im told)

I was baptised in ROCOR, for reference.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 01:59:05 PM »

I was baptised during Liturgy. The liturgy and the Baptism are intertwined into the service, which I believe is called a Baptismal Divine Liturgy, which my priest has a blessing onto perform.

Is the blessing necessary in ROCOR?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
thefizzle656

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 12:57:05 PM »

From what I understand in the early church, at least since the time that the catechumenate became a much longer process with baptisms being performed only once a year on Great Saturday, they were only performed during the Liturgy of Great Saturday (during the Liturgy itself mind you, not before the service.  This is a lot easier if there are two priests).  Marriages were also done during the Divine Liturgy and I actually have the Greek Divine Liturgy/marriage service saved somewhere and it is quite beautiful.  The prayers are litanies and said at various points throughout the liturgy.  For the entire duration of the service the groom and bride stand in front of the iconostasis, the groom in front of the icon of Christ and the bride in front of the icon of the Panagia, and instead of the common cup used during the separate marriage service they both receive Holy Communion.

You will notice that both the separate baptismal and marriage services begin with the priest exclaiming "Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit..." as opposed to "Blessed is our God always now and forever....", which reflects the origins of these two services as taking place during the Liturgy.

I am not quite sure why these two services became separate from the Divine Liturgy or when exactly it occurred, but I know that it is very uncommon for a marriage to take place during the Liturgy these days.  I remember asking a friend in Greece about how common it is there and he told me about one instance where it happened, and how the relatives of both the bride and groom were complaining about how long the service was (which is quite possibly the reason that the separations from Liturgy occurred in the first place).
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 01:33:01 PM »

AFAIK, the separation began with starting to allow mixed marriages (Justinian era?).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2013, 02:31:16 PM »

AFAIK, the separation began with starting to allow mixed marriages (Justinian era?).

Before the Justinian Codex marriage in the Church was showing up to the church together and receiving communion together.

Joseph
Dpaula
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian w/ Romanian background

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2013, 02:36:39 PM »

This is so new to me.

I wonder why, in Romania, both the Baptisms and Marriages are done privately on Saturdays. They are never part of the Divine Liturgies and not even Vespers. And only family and guests are present.
Hm.

Not posting anymore due to the rudeness on this site.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2013, 02:53:10 PM »

This is so new to me.

I wonder why, in Romania, both the Baptisms and Marriages are done privately on Saturdays. They are never part of the Divine Liturgies and not even Vespers. And only family and guests are present.
Hm.

I've seen quite a lot of Baptisms and Weddings done as part of Divine Liturgy on Saturdays or even Sundays. One such marriage was performed by a Bishop. In Romania, over the past 5 years or so. 
Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox pre 100AD

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2013, 02:54:05 PM »

Anecdotally, I was chrismated on Saturday night right before Vespers and received communion the first time on the follow day.  My godparents infant daughter was baptized and chrismated on a Saturday afternoon (long before Vespers).  As I recall, she received communion for the first time the following day.

Do you go to St Andrews?

If they hear not Moshe and the Nevi'im, neither will they be persuaded by one that rose from the dead.
Dpaula
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian w/ Romanian background

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2013, 02:59:39 PM »

This is so new to me.

Hm.

I've seen quite a lot of Baptisms and Weddings done as part of Divine Liturgy on Saturdays or even Sundays. One such marriage was performed by a Bishop. In Romania, over the past 5 years or so. 

Nope...Not in my hometown. Not ever.
Strange. I'm curious why.

Not posting anymore due to the rudeness on this site.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2013, 03:03:08 PM »

Do you go to St Andrews?

Yes.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2013, 03:05:25 PM »

Nope...Not in my hometown. Not ever.
Strange. I'm curious why.

Because the ancient practice had become obsolete and was only restored recently.
Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2013, 06:02:34 PM »

Do you go to St Andrews?

Yes.

Did you know Fr. & Matushka June Woronovich?

If they hear not Moshe and the Nevi'im, neither will they be persuaded by one that rose from the dead.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2013, 07:52:57 PM »

My brother and I were chrismated during Liturgy and the communed at the end. I'm not sure if this was the regular practice or if the priest did it that way since we were relocating the next day and the priest was relocating to another parish soon after.

I may have seen one or two others chrismated at the start like my brother and I were. ISTM though that when a baptism is done that it is done separate (i.e. my daughter was baptized and my wife chrismated on a Saturday afternoon before Vespers).

Also, I have seen people become catechumens during the Liturgy as well.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 07:56:44 PM by dcommini » Logged

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2013, 09:08:57 AM »

Do you go to St Andrews?

Yes.

Father passed before I became a parishoner and Matushka unfortunately passed away last year.

Yeshua HaDerekh
Elder

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2013, 09:37:48 AM »

Do you go to St Andrews?

Yes.

Father passed before I became a parishoner and Matushka unfortunately passed away last year.

Well I have known them since I was born. So do you still question if I am Orthodox? I was baptized by a Bishop.

LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2013, 09:48:07 AM »

Do you go to St Andrews?

Yes.

Well I have known them since I was born. So do you still question if I am Orthodox? I was baptized by a Bishop.

That doesn't make someone immune from straying.  police
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2013, 09:48:44 AM »

Do you go to St Andrews?

Yes.

I don't question "your" Orthodoxy and never have.  That's not my place.  I simply asked you a question to help you clarify your position AND help avoid more such questions in the future.  You chose to bite the hand that was trying to help you up.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2013, 09:50:24 AM »

Do you go to St Andrews?

Yes.

Are you trying to use this thread as a medium for continuing your personal squabble from another thread? If so, then knock it off!
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: