OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 21, 2014, 11:02:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: India, Ethopia, Gagarin  (Read 6137 times) Average Rating: 1
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

Faith: Old Rite Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Metr. Kornilii of Russia

« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2013, 07:27:33 PM »

pmpn8rGPT,

I came across a book which makes a good complement to 'Earth Not a Globe' ( http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za ).  A reprinted nineteenth century translation of Euclid's 'Elements' devoid of all the mishmash of exterior commentary from others in between the lines in other editions.  It is a good ole easy to read nineteenth century English translation side by side with the Greek text online in PDF as well as hardcover:

Euclid's Elements (Hardcover)
http://www.lulu.com/shop/richard-fitzpatrick/euclids-elements/hardcover/product-4087031.html;jsessionid=0088A31621A2C0D77E80CD31C71775F0

Euclid's Elements (Online PDF)
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/Books/Euclid/Elements.pdf

As you may know, the significance of this ancient Greek mathematician is that 'Earth Not a Globe's' author Samuel Rowbotham based his arguments on Euclid's math and logic which are absolute and leave nothing to personal interpretation as Francis Bacon and Einstein have done. 

In this way, we understand how Francis Bacon and his modern scientific method are as great a disgrace and insult to the sciences as Martin Luther has been to religion and God.

+Dionysii
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #136 on: July 25, 2013, 07:45:40 PM »

pmpn8rGPT,

I came across a book which makes a good complement to 'Earth Not a Globe' ( http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za ).  A reprinted nineteenth century translation of Euclid's 'Elements' devoid of all the mishmash of exterior commentary from others in between the lines in other editions.  It is a good ole easy to read nineteenth century English translation side by side with the Greek text online in PDF as well as hardcover:

Euclid's Elements (Hardcover)
http://www.lulu.com/shop/richard-fitzpatrick/euclids-elements/hardcover/product-4087031.html;jsessionid=0088A31621A2C0D77E80CD31C71775F0

Euclid's Elements (Online PDF)
http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/Books/Euclid/Elements.pdf

As you may know, the significance of this ancient Greek mathematician is that 'Earth Not a Globe's' author Samuel Rowbotham based his arguments on Euclid's math and logic which are absolute and leave nothing to personal interpretation as Francis Bacon and Einstein have done. 

In this way, we understand how Francis Bacon and his modern scientific method are as great a disgrace and insult to the sciences as Martin Luther has been to religion and God.

+Dionysii
Dang, the first time I've read this thread since you left and there right in front of me is a post directed towards me.  I must have telepathy Grin.

Anyways, thanks for finally finding this.  I just finished reading an article by Ibn Baz about his views on a flat earth, literally one hour ago.

Again, I must be psychic. Tongue

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2013, 07:48:37 PM »

Any thoughts on the magic that is computers?

Not so much, but when I find the time I could make a good case against nuclear weapons having ever existed.
More specifically, the primary factor that differentiates nuclear weapons from other bombs is wildly exaggerated and systemic propaganda about these bombs.  I have period factual accounts of the two bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan in 1945 which disprove the exaggerated and mythical propaganda about them in the western media, but the most significant difference between so-called nuclear weapons and conventional large bombs are the myths propagated through media about the so-called nuclear bombs.  That's about it.

------------------------------------------------------------------

However, for the present I can begin on a more basic level by simply showing that atoms do not exist.
Among others, this fact was demonstrated by Dewey Larson in his 1963 book:

'The Case Against the Nuclear Atom'
http://www.reciprocalsystem.com/cana/index.htm
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2013, 07:57:58 PM »

I just finished reading an article by Ibn Baz about his views on a flat earth, literally one hour ago.
Yes, Saudi Arabia's wahabi religious leader of a few years back. 
To be fair, I have to say that I checked into Ibn Baz in depth some time ago, and he does not actually believe the earth is flat.

He is a geocentrist.  I'll give him that much, but he believes the world is a globe. 
He did use the words flat earth to describe the way the earth appears, and if that was the end of it, then that would be significant.
However, a controversy erupted, and when he was questioned about this in detail, he explicitly said that he believes the world is a globe and that he used such language to describe how the world can appear to the eyes.

The Wikipedia article about him sets the record straight about this by letting him explain his beliefs himself:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abd_al-Aziz_ibn_Baz
Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2013, 08:01:36 PM »

Here, however is an Iraqi man, a muslim, who clearly does insist that the Earth is flat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2z91lAPAdc
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2013, 08:30:22 PM »

Here, however is an Iraqi man, a muslim, who clearly does insist that the Earth is flat:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2z91lAPAdc

OK. and why should the older gentleman wearing glasses be taken as an authority?

Just for starters his claim that "no doctor has succeeded in understanding how the eye works" is not true and then there's "if we split the iris in half"  which would seem to be *his* understanding of how the eye works.  I wonder at the translation, but the "split" view is what bifocal glasses do more like (writing as someone who has had that sort of eye lens for some years)

It might be noted that the title of this video is "Sadly, they still have to pwn flat-earthers in Iraq..."
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 08:31:55 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
pmpn8rGPT
OC.net guru

« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2013, 08:38:52 PM »

I just finished reading an article by Ibn Baz about his views on a flat earth, literally one hour ago.
Yes, Saudi Arabia's wahabi religious leader of a few years back. 
To be fair, I have to say that I checked into Ibn Baz in depth some time ago, and he does not actually believe the earth is flat.

He is a geocentrist.  I'll give him that much, but he believes the world is a globe. 
He did use the words flat earth to describe the way the earth appears, and if that was the end of it, then that would be significant.
However, a controversy erupted, and when he was questioned about this in detail, he explicitly said that he believes the world is a globe and that he used such language to describe how the world can appear to the eyes.

The Wikipedia article about him sets the record straight about this by letting him explain his beliefs himself:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abd_al-Aziz_ibn_Baz
Still my favorite Wahabist (and close to the top on Muslims overall).

I do remember hearing a critique of an article by him (possibly the same one?) comparing it to the Galileo trials.  Other than that and the article that is all that I know of his views on astronomy.

Dionysii
Banned
High Elder

« Reply #142 on: July 26, 2013, 03:31:31 AM »

Ibn Baz

It is good to hear about prominent people who reject heliocentrism.

However, I suggest you compare Wahabys to Sufis.
If we made a rough analogy between Islam and Christendom, then the Shiites are most analogous to Eastern Orthodoxy.
The Sunnis are analogous to the Franks, and Wahabism is most like protestantism.  

Protestantism broke off of the Franks and abolished ancient Christian traditions.
Wahabys broke off of the Sunnis, and abolished ancient Islamic traditions.

Wahabism only dates to the 1700's and includes the Taliban, Osama bin Laden, and the corrupt leaders of Saudi Arabia.
Wahhabism is not traditional Islam, and it has a western origin.
As a matter of fact, the 'Memoirs of Mr. Hempher' is an approximately 200 year old document that shows that the founder of Wahabism, Ibn al Wahab was directed by an employee of the British government with the aim of creating a movement which would eventually fragment the Ottoman empire.  

Sufism is the extreme opposite end of the Islamic spectrum from Wahabism.
Some Sufist sects have preserved Eastern Orthodox practices within Islam such as Zikr chants and also prayers and other practices modeled after the hesychasm of eastern Christians.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 03:34:38 AM by Dionysii » Logged
pmpn8rGPT
OC.net guru

« Reply #143 on: July 26, 2013, 01:16:43 PM »

Ibn Baz

It is good to hear about prominent people who reject heliocentrism.

However, I suggest you compare Wahabys to Sufis.
If we made a rough analogy between Islam and Christendom, then the Shiites are most analogous to Eastern Orthodoxy.
The Sunnis are analogous to the Franks, and Wahabism is most like protestantism.  

Protestantism broke off of the Franks and abolished ancient Christian traditions.
Wahabys broke off of the Sunnis, and abolished ancient Islamic traditions.

Wahabism only dates to the 1700's and includes the Taliban, Osama bin Laden, and the corrupt leaders of Saudi Arabia.
Wahhabism is not traditional Islam, and it has a western origin.
As a matter of fact, the 'Memoirs of Mr. Hempher' is an approximately 200 year old document that shows that the founder of Wahabism, Ibn al Wahab was directed by an employee of the British government with the aim of creating a movement which would eventually fragment the Ottoman empire.  

Sufism is the extreme opposite end of the Islamic spectrum from Wahabism.
Some Sufist sects have preserved Eastern Orthodox practices within Islam such as Zikr chants and also prayers and other practices modeled after the hesychasm of eastern Christians.
I was aware of all of the stuff concerning the Wahabists, however I did not know of the Sufi practices preserved from Orthodoxy. 

I must say, your posts never fail to fascinate me.

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2013, 06:47:17 PM »

You mean that "Anglophobic variation on The Protocols of the Elders of Zion"?

It's hard for me to tell whether you're a troll or whether you are boundlessly credulous.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: