OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 05:43:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Asking prayers for a catechumen  (Read 396 times) Average Rating: 0
pengupk

Faith: catechumen for orthodox church
Jurisdiction: catechumen for orthodox church

« on: April 26, 2013, 02:49:34 AM »

Hello,

I'm asking for your prayers for me and my family.

I am a catechumen becoming orthodox and I'm asking for your prayers since I'm fighting with terrible thoughts about all my friends and family and my girlfriend (yes, I know it is sin, forgive me for that. I hope we're getting married asap) who all are not orthodox and actually quite secular Lutherans (the most typical type here in Finland - believing in God but never going to church).

Thoughts tell me that they won't be saved and that I should leave my girlfriend and everyone and that everyone is going to hell and even my to-be-confessor is lying to me when he guides my journey. Please pray for me, I know that prayers help.

Lord have mercy.
Gisasargavak

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 03:07:28 AM »

Sounds like you have bigger problems than breaking up with your girlfriend and such. I.e. it seems like you have a fundamental distrust of your priest/confessor? What would make you distrust him?

Also, are you not aware that St. Paul says not to abandon family/wives/husbands that are unbelievers because you may in fact inspire them through your lived faith? The fact that they are at least nominally Lutheran gives you some hope of them leading more Godly lives.

At this point, I would just focus on what you need to do. Pray, read the scriptures daily, read some spiritual books and don't make any drastic moves just yet.

-Subdeacon
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 05:59:18 AM »

Lord have mercy!

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 06:45:21 AM »

Lord have mercy.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 08:02:15 AM »

Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy
Most Holy Theotokos Save Us

Dear pengupk,

Tell your priest about your struggle, he's likely the person who can help you the most.  I ignore bad thoughts rather than examine them.

Love, elephant
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 02:10:17 PM »

Lord have mercy.
marigold
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 09:57:57 PM »

Lord, have mercy.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 10:49:12 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 12:00:14 AM »

Lord have mercy!

Thoughts tell me that they won't be saved and that I should leave my girlfriend and everyone and that everyone is going to hell and even my to-be-confessor is lying to me when he guides my journey. Please pray for me, I know that prayers help.

The Church makes no proclamation about those "outside" of the Orthodox Church. You have no way of knowing the interior states of your loved ones' hearts, and it is certainly not your place to pass judgement on them. Rejoice, for the Lord is an all-merciful Judge! Pray for your loved ones and be a righteous example to them. Only the Lord can convert one's heart.

Also, your concern that your father-confessor is lying to you, and that you need to make drastic moves, raises a lot of red flags. I am in no way qualified to make this assertion, but I believe that you may be being influenced by the Evil One. He is very skilled at getting us to lose our connection with others and go towards extremes in order to count ourselves "worthy" of God. Do not be concerned, however, as he is powerless in the Light of God. God does not want us to punish ourselves or those around us; his burden is light and true. Speak to your confessor about these concerns, don't be afraid to tell him how you feel. He will be able to give you the best spiritual guidance.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:02:32 AM by lovesupreme » Logged

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
pengupk

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2013, 03:41:14 AM »

Thank You all for Your prayers. Lord have mercy!

I've felt a lot better most of the time and I had a good talk with my to-be-confessor and it helped a lot. I still suffer sometimes (maybe it's pride for me not believing..) for fear If I am not too selfish, I would still ask for Your prayers for me and my girlfriend and my family because I believe that all of You can help me and I am most grateful for all of You for that.
Thank You all.
pengupk

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 03:42:06 AM »

..and forgive me for being so selfish. I know there are many who deserve tha prayers much more than me.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 08:57:18 AM »

Lord have mercy.  Smiley

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
Tags: prayer request   non-Orthodox 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: