OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 22, 2014, 05:41:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christian Chant  (Read 316 times) Average Rating: 0
alexd

« on: April 25, 2013, 10:19:41 PM »

Hello

I'm a long time viewer and first time poster. I've come across this Christian chant, which I'm not sure where it comes from. I'm pretty sure the language is Greek, although not 100% sure. It sounds nothing like any other Greek Orthodox chant I've heard. I think it has an oriental feeling to it, which makes me think it could be from middle eastern christians but I'm not 100% sure. My best guess is that it's from byzantine chant cd or dvd, but I'm not sure who the artist could be or which church or monastery it could be from. I've uploaded it to youtube. The link is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj7WJd4fyhQ&feature=youtu.be . I was wondering does anybody recognize this music or where its from or what cd/dvd its from or who the artist could be?

Thanks
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 10:28:16 PM »

It is in Greek, and is from the Praises of the Matins of Great Friday, which is held on Holy Thursday Evening:

They stripped Me of My garments, and clothed Me in a scarlet cloak; they placed a crown of thorns upon My head and put a reed into My right hand, that I might smash them like a potter’s vessels.

The chanting style and melody is typical of what would be heard in many Greek churches.
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 10:38:47 PM »

Hello

I'm a long time viewer and first time poster. I've come across this Christian chant, which I'm not sure where it comes from. I'm pretty sure the language is Greek, although not 100% sure. It sounds nothing like any other Greek Orthodox chant I've heard. I think it has an oriental feeling to it, which makes me think it could be from middle eastern christians but I'm not 100% sure. My best guess is that it's from byzantine chant cd or dvd, but I'm not sure who the artist could be or which church or monastery it could be from. I've uploaded it to youtube. The link is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj7WJd4fyhQ&feature=youtu.be . I was wondering does anybody recognize this music or where its from or what cd/dvd its from or who the artist could be?

Thanks

Hi  Smiley

It's Nikodimos Kabarnos
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 09:21:06 AM »

Now, apparently, Archimandrite Nikodimos Kabarnos

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 09:51:18 AM »

Very nicely done.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 10:20:43 AM »

Hello

Thanks

This is the chant style usually called "Byzantine chant" and it's the standard chant of churches in the Greek tradition. However, the Greek Orthodox Church also has some modern styles of chant, usually polyphonic. In my experience the average Greek service will have a mix.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 10:42:26 AM »

Hello

Thanks

This is the chant style usually called "Byzantine chant" and it's the standard chant of churches in the Greek tradition. However, the Greek Orthodox Church also has some modern styles of chant, usually polyphonic. In my experience the average Greek service will have a mix.

What we are hearing is a specialized chant that has a specific name that I can not think of right now. The most common use of this style is to read the epistle or gospel lesson. It is the common practice (especially in the Patriarchate of Antioch) to sing the 15th Antiphon on Holy Friday Orthros (and also during Royal Hours when the hymn is repeated) in the Plagal 2nd of this style.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:07:25 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Joseph
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: