OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 07:49:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayers: No Teaching License  (Read 413 times) Average Rating: 0
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« on: April 26, 2013, 01:12:32 PM »

Hey all. Well, in the state of NM, there is a complex process involved in renewing a level one license in which one has to turn in a portfolio/dossier in order to keep one's license after so many years. There was a problem with the submission of my dossier, and as of mid June, I will no longer have a teaching license in NM.

Not entirely sure what my next step is careerwise. Having been in education for the past 9 years, I don't have any experience in any other career field that might help me get a new job.

Please keep me in your prayers.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 01:30:16 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Hurdle

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 01:32:36 PM »

Lord, have mercy on your servant.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 01:36:47 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 01:58:47 PM »

Lord have mercy. There must be some to clear this up.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 01:59:15 PM »

Hey all. Well, in the state of NM, there is a complex process involved in renewing a level one license in which one has to turn in a portfolio/dossier in order to keep one's license after so many years. There was a problem with the submission of my dossier, and as of mid June, I will no longer have a teaching license in NM.

Not entirely sure what my next step is careerwise. Having been in education for the past 9 years, I don't have any experience in any other career field that might help me get a new job.

Please keep me in your prayers.

Lord, have mercy on Papist!

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 02:02:51 PM »

Lord have mercy.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 02:03:12 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Is there there no way of appealing?

Can you resubmit for next year?

Praying you find something to keep you going until it's all cleared up.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 02:45:44 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 03:49:31 PM »

I am a former teacher and I know people who have gone through the same thing.

Get on the internet and look up the qualifications for getting certified in all 50 states.   Some states, like yours, are inflexible and rigid.  Others (like Montana) are quite flexible and not nearly as bureaucratic. 

States vary WIDELY and there is no logic to it.  For example, I have 10 years experience and a Master's degree in South Carolina. When I was originally certified way back in 1989, I got an endorsement to teach English and Social Studies in grades 6-12.  However, a couple of years ago, South Carolina created a separate "Middle School Certification" for grades 5-8 and said that the Secondary School Certification would now only cover grades 9-12.  If you wanted to teach Middle School, (even if you had 10 years experience and had been teaching Middle School for 5 years already) you had to take the Praxis Exam and score at least 165 on it to maintain your Middle School Certification. (A score of 165, by the way, is the SECOND HIGHEST score required by any state in the nation.  Only Ohio requires a higher score.)   Anyway, I took the Praxis test twice and scored 163 the first time and 161 the second time.  So I lost my teaching job at the Middle School.  (I was teaching 8th grade English.)

Now if I had had a job teaching 9th grade English or above, I would have been able to keep it, because I am still certified at grades 9-12.  If I were teaching in neighboring North Carolina or Georgia, I would have been able to continue teaching 8th grade because they don't require a score that high.  Heck, if I wanted to teach Middle School in New York or California I would qualify, but not here in my home state.  Isn't bureaucracy wonderful?  And people wonder why so many teachers leave the teaching profession.  LOL

However, don't despair.  Things will work out.  You are in my prayers.

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 06:59:18 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Is there there no way of appealing?

Can you resubmit for next year?

Praying you find something to keep you going until it's all cleared up.
I have been in contact with the Professional Education Department, but they don't want to let me appeal. I can't get my license renewed for three years. That is their policy. NM is the only state that has this dossier process.

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »

You may want to look into getting an advocate or even a lawyer. 

Really feel bad for you Papist. 

May the Three Hierarchs Intercede on your behalf!!!

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 08:21:23 PM »

Papist:  Are you a member of the NEA?  I was and they provided me with a lawyer (free of charge) when I needed one.  The cost was covered by my yearly membership dues.  If that doesn't work, see what the certification requirements are in the states that border New Mexico.  See if any of the border states have a reciprocity agreement with New Mexico.

If all else fails, go online to this website and post your resume:  www.teachers-teachers.com

They post teaching jobs from all over the nation and even a few foreign countries.  You could teach in Saudi Arabia, Korea, Japan or China during your three year wait and still have income coming in.

Good luck and God's blessings.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 08:31:04 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 08:50:39 PM »

Lord have Mercy

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 08:52:36 PM »

Lord, Have Mercy!

Are you unable to resubmit?

This is of special interest to me as I plan a career in education within the next few years.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 08:54:00 PM by Kerdy » Logged
marigold
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 09:49:21 PM »

Lord, have mercy!
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 10:54:25 PM »

Lord, have mercy on Papist.

Countdown to our Baptisms and Chrismations:

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 09:53:27 AM »

Lord, Have Mercy!

Are you unable to resubmit?

This is of special interest to me as I plan a career in education within the next few years.
No, I can't.  Sad

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 09:54:02 AM »

I am a former teacher and I know people who have gone through the same thing.

Get on the internet and look up the qualifications for getting certified in all 50 states.   Some states, like yours, are inflexible and rigid.  Others (like Montana) are quite flexible and not nearly as bureaucratic. 

States vary WIDELY and there is no logic to it.  For example, I have 10 years experience and a Master's degree in South Carolina. When I was originally certified way back in 1989, I got an endorsement to teach English and Social Studies in grades 6-12.  However, a couple of years ago, South Carolina created a separate "Middle School Certification" for grades 5-8 and said that the Secondary School Certification would now only cover grades 9-12.  If you wanted to teach Middle School, (even if you had 10 years experience and had been teaching Middle School for 5 years already) you had to take the Praxis Exam and score at least 165 on it to maintain your Middle School Certification. (A score of 165, by the way, is the SECOND HIGHEST score required by any state in the nation.  Only Ohio requires a higher score.)   Anyway, I took the Praxis test twice and scored 163 the first time and 161 the second time.  So I lost my teaching job at the Middle School.  (I was teaching 8th grade English.)

Now if I had had a job teaching 9th grade English or above, I would have been able to keep it, because I am still certified at grades 9-12.  If I were teaching in neighboring North Carolina or Georgia, I would have been able to continue teaching 8th grade because they don't require a score that high.  Heck, if I wanted to teach Middle School in New York or California I would qualify, but not here in my home state.  Isn't bureaucracy wonderful?  And people wonder why so many teachers leave the teaching profession.  LOL

However, don't despair.  Things will work out.  You are in my prayers.

Thank you very much for the good advice. I'm going to look into applying for my license in Texas, Colorado, Arizona, and California.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: