OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 12:04:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Attracts Westerners to Islam?  (Read 8954 times) Average Rating: 0
fibonacci

Faith: Rabbaniyyun, follower of Ahl al-Bayt

« Reply #360 on: April 30, 2013, 09:41:07 PM »

Are you serious?

Do they really wear headcoverings as some kind of superstitious garb to ward off invisible boogey-men?

What I meant by "spiritual" was was to avoid temptation or being an accesory to another's sin of lust.

Well what you say about lust is very true.  So is the envy of women who are jeleous about her beauty and looks.

That's rather sexist. So all women are that shallow?

But in regards to demons, jinns... it a serious matter as well.  

Any person that causes lust, envy or other sins, the jinns will notice immediately..and they will do whatever they can to make that person to instigate even more sins (like deceiving her to dress even more provocatively)........which will most likely destroy her life and relationships.

So women cause lust. Abrogation of responsibility in Islam!

the context of my post is about female hijab

Yes, I understood that.

I have already mentioned that women are deemed to be the causers of men straying. I gave opinion that from Islam about how women 'deserve' to be raped if they dress a certain way,

You confirm women are the source of lust - it's their fault

I don't know what you are talking about.

But men can also create lust in women..... through eye contact.

The Quran states that men and women should lower their gaze to prevent such emotions.
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #361 on: April 30, 2013, 09:47:43 PM »

Talking about you saying women are at fault

The Quran states that men and women should lower their gaze to prevent such emotions.

Why not have hijab for men, then?

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
tha thu lan de na gràsan;
Tha an Tighearna maille riut.
fibonacci

« Reply #362 on: April 30, 2013, 09:53:39 PM »

Hair destroys relationships. You heard it here first.

Lol listen the way men lust is different than women.

When looking from a distance, the first thing a man notices on a woman is the hair...... then the lust follows subsequently if the man has no self-control.

There are plenty of research out there talking about that the first thing majority of men notice and talk about is the hair

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/04/29/men-attracted-to-hair-_n_3179389.html?ir=Canada+Living

Furthermore, for a women... one of the first thing they notice on a man from a distance is the beard.  Unfortunately today, most men don't grow a beard, and as result it subconsciously creeps out the women around them.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:56:51 PM by fibonacci » Logged
fibonacci

« Reply #363 on: April 30, 2013, 09:55:23 PM »

men should wear a hat (to block their eyes from staring women)

but their main 'hijab' is

lowering their gaze, not staring at women

and growing a beard, to not look creepy to women
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:58:15 PM by fibonacci » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #364 on: April 30, 2013, 10:02:13 PM »

Furthermore, for a women... one of the first thing they notice on a man from a distance is the beard.  Unfortunately today, most men don't grow a beard, and as result it subconsciously creeps out the women around them.

Seriously?  As a woman, I can tell you I'm neither creeped out by men with beards, or without.

I love how a religion psychoanalyzes all of humanity, assuming that everyone is sex crazed and "turned on" constantly by merely looking at a member of the opposite sex.

I think some people need more work to do, and things to occupy their time and minds with.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
fibonacci

« Reply #365 on: April 30, 2013, 10:08:10 PM »

Seriously?  As a woman, I can tell you I'm neither creeped out by men with beards, or without.

I love how a religion psychoanalyzes all of humanity, assuming that everyone is sex crazed and "turned on" constantly by merely looking at a member of the opposite sex.

I think some people need more work to do, and things to occupy their time and minds with.

that's not what I heard from others

nothing is more creepy to women than a man that looks like a women and stares at them all day

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #366 on: April 30, 2013, 10:12:18 PM »

You consider a beardless man to look like a woman?

You know some pretty ugly women, then.

...and why would a man just sit and stare at a woman all day?  I would be creeped out by that.  I would also be creeped out by a bearded man sitting and staring at me...and even by a woman sitting there staring at me.  Staring is impolite.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #367 on: April 30, 2013, 11:09:52 PM »

Hair destroys relationships. You heard it here first.

Lol listen the way men lust is different than women.
More sexism
When looking from a distance, the first thing a man notices on a woman is the hair...... then the lust follows subsequently if the man has no self-control.
Doubtful. I notice the shape of the person.

There are plenty of research out there talking about that the first thing majority of men notice and talk about is the hair

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/04/29/men-attracted-to-hair-_n_3179389.html?ir=Canada+Living
Easiest way around that; shave all women bald

However it's about men attracted to 'good' hair. And it's not exclusive of men being attracted to anything else, first or otherwise.

What evidence do you have for that? Hopefully some evidence that supports your claim.

Furthermore if women's hair attracts men, and therefore women have to cover their hair, then why don't men have to cover their beards?

I know the answer already; because of the absurd notion you had at the beginning regarding men and woemn and attraction.

Whilst men and women CAN differ Islam exlcudes that women can be aroused by the same visual stimulii men respond to.

It does this because Islam is inherently sexist

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #368 on: April 30, 2013, 11:11:24 PM »

You consider a beardless man to look like a woman?
I believe it's his poor sentence construction...  It's about men being creeped out by a woman staring at them all day.

You know some pretty ugly women, then.

...and why would a man just sit and stare at a woman all day?  I would be creeped out by that.  I would also be creeped out by a bearded man sitting and staring at me...and even by a woman sitting there staring at me.  Staring is impolite.

Islam's got some weird 'science' ideas

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #369 on: April 30, 2013, 11:15:39 PM »

I have a beard.

At my previous job, when our receptionists were creeped out by someone they'd call me out as 'back up'. Although not part of my job I felt morally obliged to help.

Just turning up generally worked.

A guy at work says I look like an Imam and that's why people would back off.

So having a beard creeped people out.

My own grand-ma had the idea that men with facial hair could not be trusted.

It's cultural

However Moslems here are trying to make it sound universal because they have to justify why their own cultural norms should be accepted as 'natural'.

Again it's part of Islam's abrogation of responsibility. If a woman is raped, it's her fault

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #370 on: April 30, 2013, 11:17:02 PM »

men should wear a hat (to block their eyes from staring women)

but their main 'hijab' is

lowering their gaze, not staring at women

and growing a beard, to not look creepy to women

That makes no sense. If it's a beard that's attracting women to men, why would men have to wear a hat?

I once lowered my gaze when talking to a woman and she accused me of staring at her breasts!

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #371 on: April 30, 2013, 11:24:28 PM »

I would suggest you read several translations of the Koran some commentary, then use a concordance.

We can check the meaning of the verse from its Arabic original.

Or just look at Muhammed Asad's translation and copious notes, which is not subsidized by Saudi money like many other translations of the Quran in English.

Logical fallacy: the fact that it is not subsidized by Saudi money like many other translations of the Quran in English does not suffice to make Asad's translation accurate and reliable.

Or meet and live with Muslims. More than a few Muslims counted me as a dear friend and showed me nothing but generosity and care. Every Muslims I was around was quite courteous and friendly. I was openly areligious, drank like fish, etc.

Another logical fallacy: what some Muslims do does not change the interpretation or meaning of a Qur'an verse.

The above shows you understand neither logic nor discussion.

Orthonorm--You are getting a bit too categorical here. He could say the same thing about you--just as logically and under the rules of discussion that normally prevail in society. No?

He could say whatever he wants. He obviously has the time to do so and the grasp of logic and understanding of discussion to say nearly anything.

It's blowing in the wind with him. He is not addressing the OP. He is just cutting and pasting whatever suits his fancy. He has almost zero theoretically understanding of anything he has yet to put forth (really the only theoretical premise put forth has been mine about why Islamic theology is in fact not "simpler" than Christian theology and it has not been addressed).

Folks have weighed in on the OP as what they see the attraction of Islam to "Westerners" and as I have pointed out there ain't much of any since no one is converting in any great numbers.

His posts amount to fact-spam without any interesting context.

He learned some words for what he thinks are "fallacies". I am sorta used to that type around here. What I would be interested in is someone who can understand something in a meaningful manner as to edify my understanding of it.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #372 on: April 30, 2013, 11:26:04 PM »

I once lowered my gaze when talking to a woman and she accused me of staring at her breasts!

LOL!  You should have said you were simply admiring her lovely shoes.

—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #373 on: April 30, 2013, 11:27:22 PM »

I ask again is anyone having trouble accessing the penultimate page in this thread? This thread alone on various browsers, OSs, etc. has been having trouble accessing whatever is the second to last page of this thread and this thread only.

*boggle*

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #374 on: April 30, 2013, 11:29:14 PM »

Page 8?

—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #375 on: April 30, 2013, 11:29:56 PM »

Page 8?

Whatever is the second to last page.

Yesterday it happened when it was page 6, then 7, and now 8.

Weird.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #376 on: April 30, 2013, 11:32:16 PM »

I'm able to access all of them, with no issues.

Are you not able to open the page, at all?

—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #377 on: April 30, 2013, 11:35:16 PM »

I do thank the two posters who keep spewing snippets of the Koran and their selected hadith as it has made return to see if there is any truth to their posts.

And I find none. Essence is pretty much right on target given the neglected translations and commentaries I have.

While I don't have the time or energy to counter argue tit for tat and neither of the posters are up for anything approaching a discussion of philosophical or theological dimensions, I can only hope no one with any sense takes their posts seriously.

Or if they do, that they decide to use the requisite to time to get as broad an overview of the texts they are discussing.

If my ignorant self can do so, anyone can.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #378 on: April 30, 2013, 11:37:58 PM »

The page "hangs" (the page is rendered partially and the tab or window becomes non-responsive for a long time, I let it try to render the page yesterday for thirty minutes without success). I thought at first that page 6 might have some weird embedded code or whatever, but as soon as page 7 became the penultimate page, no problems. Had the same problem with 7. And so on.

It's weird.

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #379 on: April 30, 2013, 11:41:48 PM »

I ask again is anyone having trouble accessing the penultimate page in this thread? This thread alone on various browsers, OSs, etc. has been having trouble accessing whatever is the second to last page of this thread and this thread only.

*boggle*

They all work for me.
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #380 on: April 30, 2013, 11:42:56 PM »

LOL!  You should have said you were simply admiring her lovely shoes.

I couldn't see them!

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #381 on: April 30, 2013, 11:44:58 PM »

....I won't ask what was impeding your view.   angel

—St. Isaac of Syria
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #382 on: April 30, 2013, 11:49:01 PM »

I do thank the two posters who keep spewing snippets of the Koran and their selected hadith as it has made return to see if there is any truth to their posts.

And I find none. Essence is pretty much right on target given the neglected translations and commentaries I have.

I keep noticing a distinct lack of engagement by Moslems and their apologists. In order to do that people are dismissive of research for no real reason – other than easy made, throw-away lines.

And they have to re-work posts thus what could be said to be “Research from the Koran and the Hadith along with commentary from Islamic web-sites” is reduced to “snippets of the Koran and their selected hadith”
While I don't have the time or energy to counter argue tit for tat and neither of the posters are up for anything approaching a discussion of philosophical or theological dimensions, I can only hope no one with any sense takes their posts seriously.

Or if they do, that they decide to use the requisite to time to get as broad an overview of the texts they are discussing.

If my ignorant self can do so, anyone can.

Which is more non-argument which anyone can do: Be dismissive; and then state not going to discuss this.

That’s actually rather like calling someone names and then running away.

Strange way to try and take the moral highground

I am also confused by why someone is in effect posting

"I can't be bothered posting here"

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:54:01 PM by montalban » Logged

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #383 on: April 30, 2013, 11:51:06 PM »

....I won't ask what was impeding your view.   angel
Shocked

By the way, all the pages work for me too
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 11:51:35 PM by montalban » Logged

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #384 on: April 30, 2013, 11:52:48 PM »

Well, this is easily cleared up.

Do Muslims believe in the Trinity?  If not, than whomever they worship is not our God.

You do realize that you disagree with earliest Christian response to Islam?

That's the meme that gets tossed around on OC.net a lot. Probably isn't true, though.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #385 on: April 30, 2013, 11:59:27 PM »

What moral high ground? It is more of an intellectual one and energetic one. You are just boring. I can have the same level of discourse with google.

When you are ready to take this up in a more systematic manner let me know, that would mean working within the frame of a philosophical and theological and hermeneutic discussion about why Islam is attractive to Westerners.

For example, I can discuss with Liza why I think her statement that belief in the Trinity is required to be a Christian is faulty without googling and spamming her with Patristic quote A-Z.

This is all just a more elaborate form of proof-texting.

The real question is: is your epistemological method shared by many Muslims?

Sadly, yes. For them and you.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:00:06 AM by orthonorm » Logged

montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #386 on: April 30, 2013, 11:59:49 PM »

Do Muslims believe in the Trinity?  If not, than whomever they worship is not our God.

That's the meme that gets tossed around on OC.net a lot. Probably isn't true, though.

I already posted re: the early church and Islam

Christians at first didn't comprehend Islam as a brand new faith - but rather as a Christian heresy

Islam too had trouble working out what to do with Christianity and Judaism

Initially their faithful turned and prayed to Jerusalem, but eventually literally turned their backs to it

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #387 on: May 01, 2013, 12:00:15 AM »

The page "hangs" (the page is rendered partially and the tab or window becomes non-responsive for a long time, I let it try to render the page yesterday for thirty minutes without success). I thought at first that page 6 might have some weird embedded code or whatever, but as soon as page 7 became the penultimate page, no problems. Had the same problem with 7. And so on.

It's weird.
Hello Orthonorm. Everything works for me OK. Perhaps you have to clean out your cache or something else having to do with memory overload, etc? Did you try a different browser?  Sometimes that works.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #388 on: May 01, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »

Do Muslims believe in the Trinity?  If not, than whomever they worship is not our God.

It's not a meme (really people you taking this stuff too far).

And you need to read St. John of Damascus.

montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #389 on: May 01, 2013, 12:01:20 AM »

What moral high ground? It is more of an intellectual one and energetic one. You are just boring. I can have the same level of discourse with google.
Avoidence of discussion, more ad hom, and re-working of my research

I cited Islamic opinion. However you reduced this to me selectively quoting/googling, etc.

If you have ALTERNATE Islamic opinion present it!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:04:42 AM by montalban » Logged

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #390 on: May 01, 2013, 12:04:44 AM »

I cited Islamic opinion.

Why bother to continue to post to say you can't be bothered?Huh

The irony meter is off the chart

You can't read. It was invitation. Once which of course are you unable to accept.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #391 on: May 01, 2013, 12:05:36 AM »

About why Westerners convert?

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #392 on: May 01, 2013, 12:06:34 AM »

It's weird.
Hello Orthonorm. Everything works for me OK. Perhaps you have to clean out your cache or something else having to do with memory overload, etc? Did you try a different browser?  Sometimes that works.

Different machines. OSs. Browsers. Connections. Etc.

Seems to be working now. Till now, I basically couldn't see the prior page. And for a bit that meant having no idea about the context of what had been posted.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:06:45 AM by orthonorm » Logged

montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #393 on: May 01, 2013, 12:08:27 AM »

I cited Islamic opinion.

You can't read. It was invitation. Once which of course are you unable to accept.

What invitation? Is it buried somewhere in you comparing me to google? If it's obvious to you I dind't understand you, then you simply pointing this out is of zero value to me, or to discussion.

You talk about me getting from you some kind of broad discussion, but you've had ample opportunity to discuss anything (other than me, or your dismissive opinion). Is that your invitation? To actually discuss what I've already been discussing - the topic?

That's right, you both can't be bothered, and you keep posting - you have enough energy to post ad hom
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 12:11:54 AM by montalban » Logged

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #394 on: May 01, 2013, 12:09:48 AM »

About why Westerners convert?

About anything. Please present some opinion (other than your own) or excuses as to why you're dismissive/can't be bothered posting etc.

Getting you to discuss something of value is like having teeth pulled.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #395 on: May 01, 2013, 12:11:41 AM »

I cited Islamic opinion.

What invitation? Is it buried somewhere in you comparing me to google? If it's obvious to you I dind't understand you, then you simply pointing this out is of zero value to me, or to discussion.

That's right, you both can't be bothered, and you keep posting - you have enough energy to post ad hom

Quote my entire post. Do you see why this pointless? The way you cobble up the posts here doesn't lend credibility to your ability to present the snippets of this and that you paste together here without much insightful commentary.

Although you decided to truncate my post and argue with what you wanted, here is what I wrote:

When you are ready to take this up in a more systematic manner let me know, that would mean working within the frame of a philosophical and theological and hermeneutic discussion about why Islam is attractive to Westerners.

For example, I can discuss with Liza why I think her statement that belief in the Trinity is required to be a Christian is faulty without googling and spamming her with Patristic quote A-Z.

I bolded the invitation part.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #396 on: May 01, 2013, 12:13:15 AM »

Please present some opinion (other than your own)

See, if you want to get serious, we have a lot of work to do as this statement already belies a gross misunderstanding of yours about understanding.

montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #397 on: May 01, 2013, 12:14:50 AM »

I cited Islamic opinion.

Quote my entire post. Do you see why this pointless? The way you cobble up the posts here doesn't lend credibility to your ability to present the snippets of this and that you paste together here without much insightful commentary.

Although you decided to truncate my post and argue with what you wanted, here is what I wrote:

This may amuse you; but you're still doing the same avoidence of discussion.

Good luck with that.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
William
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #398 on: May 01, 2013, 12:16:08 AM »

A meme is an idea, so yes it is.

One father can say have whatever odd idea he likes. Unless you can demonstrate that that one father's opinion has become how the church responds to Islam, then it doesn't matter.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #399 on: May 01, 2013, 12:17:31 AM »

I cited Islamic opinion.

This may amuse you; but you're still doing the same avoidence of discussion.

Good luck with that.

You win. Again thanks for the motivation to look at some stuff I ignored for a long while.

Essence prompted some prior reading. Yours took me back to looking at the Koranic passages you and theo provided.

montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #400 on: May 01, 2013, 12:17:49 AM »

Anyway,

I've noted that one of the reasons Islam is attractive is that it shies successfully away from the light of real scrutiny.

A way of doing this is by the threat of violence against public criticism.

Apart from intellectual exercises here in avoiding disucssion these threads, because of their anonimity are ideal for the fair exchange of ideas.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #401 on: May 01, 2013, 12:19:02 AM »

One father can say have whatever odd idea he likes. Unless you can demonstrate that that one father's opinion has become how the church responds to Islam, then it doesn't matter.

Have a nice night.

montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #402 on: May 01, 2013, 12:21:46 AM »

It's not about what we non-Moslems think about Islam, but what they say of it themselves that's of great interest.

That is why I've been keen to provide Islamic commentary.

The sexism provided here by Islam is an attempt at drawing a backward cultural norm into a universal for all humanity.

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
montalban
Now in colour
OC.net guru

« Reply #403 on: May 01, 2013, 12:24:25 AM »

Persoanlly I don't like the term meme because it was coined by an atheist apologist Richard Dawkins

Fàilte dhut a Mhoire,
fibonacci

« Reply #404 on: May 01, 2013, 12:26:25 AM »

Doubtful. I notice the shape of the person.

I'm sorry, not all of us have eagle eyes like you.

Easiest way around that; shave all women bald

However it's about men attracted to 'good' hair. And it's not exclusive of men being attracted to anything else, first or otherwise.

Did you read the article?

"...Surprisingly, 89 per cent of men say good hair is the first thing they notice...."

There are other research findings that reached to the same conclusion.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: