OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 08:13:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EO and OO bishops of Aleppo kidnapped  (Read 4385 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: April 22, 2013, 02:33:27 PM »

Two Aleppian bishops were kidnapped by Syrian rebels in the outskirts of the city Monday evening, Lebanon’s National News Agency reported.

The driver of Boulos al-Yazigi, the Greek Orthodox Archbishop of Aleppo and Iskandaroun and Yohanna Ibrahim, the Syrian-Orthodox Metropolitan of Aleppo, was killed during the attack.

Read more: http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2013/Apr-22/214676-rebels-kidnap-two-aleppo-bishops.ashx#ixzz2RDdiEplP
(The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: http://www.dailystar.com.lb)

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 02:38:54 PM »

Lord, have mercy.

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
sheenj
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 02:43:33 PM »

Ya Rab er7am!
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 02:44:12 PM »

Lord, have mercy!

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2013, 02:50:20 PM »

And our politicians here in America still want to arm them. They must realize, there is no way for them to escape the consequences of their actions. They may have nothing but disdain for anyone that disagrees with them but it will be completely useless before God.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 03:15:42 PM »

wait, two bishops of allepo in the same car??

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
copticmind

Faith: Coptic Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Alexandria

GeorgeFahim
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 03:32:29 PM »

From the OCA website:

Prayers requested for abducted Syrian hierarchs:

“Metropolitan Paul Yazigi of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Aleppo (brother of His Beatitude Patriarch John X of the Great City-of-God Antioch and all the East), and Mar Gregorios Yohanna Ibrahim of the Syriac Orthodox Archdiocese of Aleppo, were both abducted this morning, Monday, April 22nd, while they were traveling together on the road between Antioch (Antakya, Turkey) and the north Syrian city of Aleppo.  The driver of the vehicle in which they were traveling was killed in the attack.  Your prayers are requested.”

Ⲡⲁϭⲟⲓⲥ Ⲓⲏⲥ Ⲡⲭⲥ ⳿ⲡϣⲏⲣⲓ ⳿ⲙ⳿Ⲫⲛⲟⲩϯ ⲛⲁⲓ ⲛⲏⲓ ⲁⲛⲟⲕ ⲡⲓⲣⲉϥⲉⲣⲛⲟⲃⲓ
يا ربي يسوع المسيح ابن الله ارحمني أنا الخاطئ
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 03:33:35 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2013, 03:34:55 PM »

Lord have mercy! Shock

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2013, 03:35:10 PM »

wait, two bishops of allepo in the same car??

Apparently they both were traveling back from Antioch. Makes sense, if they're both going to the same place at the same time and coming back to the same place at the same time, why not carpool?
Samn!
Elder

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 04:14:39 PM »

Both an-Nahar and as-Safir, the two main Lebanese newspapers, are reporting that the bishops were kidnapped by a Chechen group. I'm translating new info as it comes out in Arabic here--> http://araborthodoxy.blogspot.com/2013/04/met-boulos-yazigi-kidnapped-outside.html
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 04:53:30 PM »

Lord have mercy.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 05:01:28 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Note: The news last night said that many Chechynan rebels have escaped from Russia and have joined radicalized Islamic groups throughout Northern Africa and the Middle East. That these widely dispersed rebels are somehow connected to the Boston Massacre seems ridiculous.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 05:29:30 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Note: The news last night said that many Chechynan rebels have escaped from Russia and have joined radicalized Islamic groups throughout Northern Africa and the Middle East. That these widely dispersed rebels are somehow connected to the Boston Massacre seems ridiculous.

Not at all. One of the cardinal ideas of terrorism is to draw attention to your cause whenever and wherever you can. The Chechens are stymied in Chechnya so they have dispersed and doing their thing elsewhere.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Gisasargavak

Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2013, 08:06:26 PM »

Lord have mercy...hopefully this evil can be resolved without incident.
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 08:48:49 PM »

Lord have mercy.

Not at all. One of the cardinal ideas of terrorism is to draw attention to your cause whenever and wherever you can. The Chechens are stymied in Chechnya so they have dispersed and doing their thing elsewhere.
Makes sense to me.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 09:12:52 PM »

Both an-Nahar and as-Safir, the two main Lebanese newspapers, are reporting that the bishops were kidnapped by a Chechen group. I'm translating new info as it comes out in Arabic here--> http://araborthodoxy.blogspot.com/2013/04/met-boulos-yazigi-kidnapped-outside.html

Interesting.

If there is anything good coming out from this continuous horror, it would be that the West will shut up and mind its own business when Russia protects itself against the Chechynan terror.

"You reap what you sow" is a divine law, applicable to the individuals, countries and to the greatest whore of babylon. 

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 09:29:17 PM »

Interesting.

If there is anything good coming out from this continuous horror, it would be that the West will shut up and mind its own business when Russia protects itself against the Chechynan terror.

"You reap what you sow" is a divine law, applicable to the individuals, countries and to the greatest whore of babylon. 

Good luck with that! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 09:50:29 PM »

Lord have Mercy

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 09:58:52 PM »

Lord have mercy.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Samn!
Elder

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2013, 10:01:30 PM »

The Lebanese newspaper al-Joumhouria has published some details of the kidnapping from an interview with Syriac Orthodox Bishop Matta Khoury, which I have translated here: http://araborthodoxy.blogspot.com/2013/04/al-joumhouria-details-emergy-about.html
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 09:30:09 AM »

Lord, have mercy that they be safely released, that the demons among their captors be exercised. Memopry eternal to the innocent driver.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Balthasar
Elder

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 11:26:49 AM »

The driver is a deacon – R.I.P

Now they are saying the captors are Chechens. So, according to the plan the “Real” Syrians, which only belong to the so-called free Syrian army shall bring the two Bishops to safety and say they've freed Christians. The West will say, folks in the opposition, indeed, the good ones, and money and weapon will flow from the West with no sense of guilt.

By the way, why are Orthodox Christian leaders silent? I've still to hear Pope Francis mentioning the current wave of Christian persecution

A couple of days ago I read somewhere that Turkey is constructing a separate refugee camp for Christians, because Christians don't want to be together with Muslims in the same camp. Does anybody know more concerning this matter?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 11:31:43 AM »

By the way, why are Orthodox Christian leaders silent? I've still to hear Pope Francis mentioning the current wave of Christian persecution

Pope Benedict has issued a statement about this. Your anti-RC bashing is very funny.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2013, 11:33:50 AM »

The driver is a deacon – R.I.P

Now they are saying the captors are Chechens. So, according to the plan the “Real” Syrians, which only belong to the so-called free Syrian army shall bring the two Bishops to safety and say they've freed Christians. The West will say, folks in the opposition, indeed, the good ones, and money and weapon will flow from the West with no sense of guilt.

A couple of days ago I read somewhere that Turkey is constructing a separate refugee camp for Christians, because Christians don't want to be together with Muslims in the same camp. Does anybody know more concerning this matter?

The Patriarchs of Rome, Constantinople, and Moscow have all issued statements call for their release. The Council of Churches in France (Catholic, Orthodox and Evangelicals) have called on France to intervene for their release. The US Media is silent on this, but stories are now running in the Chicago Tribune, Washington Post and New York Times.

Joseph
Samn!
Elder

« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »

There are now reports in the Lebanese media that both bishops have been released, safe and sound.

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/News/Middle-East/2013/Apr-23/214783-two-orthodox-bishops-held-in-syria-freed-christian-association.ashx#axzz2Qaj4h3HS

http://www.naharnet.com/stories/en/80562-two-orthodox-bishops-held-in-syria-freed
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2013, 11:45:39 AM »

Interesting.

Good luck with that! 

You are right.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2013, 11:46:48 AM »

Glory to God!
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2013, 11:53:23 AM »

Both are citing Oeuvre d'Orient as the source, but I do not know how they would have the information before either Patriarchal offices would.

Joseph
Samn!
Elder

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 12:03:23 PM »

This early report is now being denied by both patriarchates on their facebook pages.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »

They have been freed!  

http://www.gazire.com/cms/news-action-show-id-16326.htm
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:09:36 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2013, 12:15:46 PM »

This early report is now being denied by both patriarchates on their facebook pages.

Here is the text from the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Antioch's page
https://www.facebook.com/Antiochpatriarchate.org/posts/327428580694195

يا أحبة لا تتقاذفوا الأخبار هنا وهناك تلاعباً بمشاعر الناس
ليس هناك أي خبر عن صاحبي السيادة
أرجوا أن نصلي ريثما يكون لدينا خبر يقين.

Basic translation - There is no news. Samn! I am sure can give a more detailed word for word translation.

Joseph
Samn!
Elder

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2013, 12:17:24 PM »

"Beloved, do not pass around news here and there that play with people's emotions. There is no news about Their Eminences. Let us pray until there is certain news."
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2013, 12:33:36 PM »

I'm not playing with people's emotions...only sharing news I received via email from a priest.

Beloved,

Metropolitan PAUL and Archbishop Gregorios have been freed according to the news Gazire. Please see the link below.

We thank God for their safe return as we pray for permanent peace in Syria.

Prayerfully Yours,

Fr. George

Subject: عودة المطران يوحنا ابراهيم والمطران بولس يازجي - جزيرة كوم

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2013, 12:51:14 PM »

I'm not playing with people's emotions...only sharing news I received via email from a priest.

Beloved,

Metropolitan PAUL and Archbishop Gregorios have been freed according to the news Gazire. Please see the link below.

We thank God for their safe return as we pray for permanent peace in Syria.

Prayerfully Yours,

Fr. George

Subject: عودة المطران يوحنا ابراهيم والمطران بولس يازجي - جزيرة كوم

FWIW Aljazeera reports they are free.

..http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/04/20134235221315190.html
Samn!
Elder

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2013, 12:55:25 PM »

It's much more problematic than that. BBC, Reuters, and the Guardian are all citing a non-existent "Greek Orthodox Bishop Tony Yazigi".

The Arab media was reporting on the basis of a statement by the French group Oeuvre de l'Orient, which was picked up also by AFP and France 24.

Lebanese newspapers are all in retraction-mode on Twitter right now.

The only possibly credible report is one in Greek media that the Greek Prime Minister relayed news of their release to the Ecumenical Patriarch.

The Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch is still saying that they have no news of any release.

I've been trying to aggregate statements about all this here---> http://araborthodoxy.blogspot.com/2013/04/early-reports-of-bishops-release.html
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2013, 02:17:15 PM »

From http://www.antiochian.org/release-reports-false

There have appeared many reports in both the Eastern and Western press that the two hierarchs who were abducted yesterday by terrorists in Syria, Metropolitan Boulos Yazge, Antiochian Orthodox Archbishop of Aleppo, and Archbishop Youhanna Ibrahim, Syriac Archbishop of Aleppo, have been released. His Eminence Metropolitan Philip spoke by phone this morning to His Beatitude John X, Patriarch of Antioch and all the East (pictured), who said that these reports are false, and that the release of these two hierarchs has NOT taken place.

Joseph
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2013, 02:28:57 PM »

I pray the rumors of their release become true.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2013, 04:22:24 PM »

Joint Communique

Of

The Greek Orthodox Patriarchate
Of Antioch and all the East

And

The Syriac Orthodox Ptriarchate
of Antioch and all the East

On Monday the 22.04.2013, we were surprised by the news that our brothers Bishop Paul (Yazigi) of Aleppo and Alexandretta and Bishop John (Ibrahim) Syriac Orthodox Bishop of Aleppo, have been kidnapped on their way back to Aleppo after accomplishing a humanitarian mission. We deeply regret what happened as we regret all similar acts targeting cvivilians, regardless of their belonging and therefore we address to the local and international communities the following declaration:

1- The Christians living here are an essential part of their lands. They suffer the pain every person suffers, work as messengers of peace to lift the injustice off every oppressed: They follow the teaching of their Gospel telling them that love ist the basis of human relations. The official positions issued by the spiritual leaders of the various churches, are the best expression in this respect and the mission fulfilled by the two kidnapped bishops is but a further proof of this orientation.

https://www.facebook.com/Antiochpatriarchate.org/posts/327491610687892

too long quote editted - MK
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 04:40:49 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2013, 06:20:37 PM »

I've just received a (mass) message from my priest that states they have indeed been released.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 06:21:06 PM by Arachne » Logged

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Samn!
Elder

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2013, 08:12:31 PM »

Regarding release, anything that cites "Bishop Tony Yazigi" or Oeuvre d'Orient (or an anonymous "Christian association") is false.

The Syriac Orthodox Patriarchate's statement late today can be read here---> http://araborthodoxy.blogspot.com/2013/04/statement-from-syriac-orthodox.html
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2013, 08:20:53 PM »

Regarding release, anything that cites "Bishop Tony Yazigi" or Oeuvre d'Orient (or an anonymous "Christian association") is false.

It's remarkable (or maybe not?) how many big, respectable news outlets have passed this on uncritically.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2013, 10:30:07 PM »

I've just received a (mass) message from my priest that states they have indeed been released.

Patriarch John said earlier that the reports of their release was false. We shouldn't rejoice until we see confirmation from the Patriarchate.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2013, 10:51:52 PM »

Recent update from the website of the Syriac Orthodox Church in the US:
http://syrianorthodoxchurch.org/news/2013/04/23/archbishop-yuhanna-ibrahims-kidnapping-update
His Eminence Mor Cyril Aphrem Karim is presently meeting with the State Department in Washington DC concerning yesterday’s kidnapping of both His Eminence Yuhanna Ibrahim, Syriac Orthodox Archbishop of Aleppo and His Eminence Boulos Yazigi, Greek Orthodox Archbishop of Aleppo by terrorist rebels in Syria. There have been many unsubstantiated reports of the release of both Archbishops but nothing has yet been confirmed and the effort for their safe return is still underway.

Also of interest, a joint communique issued by Patriarch John X and Patriarch Mar Ignatius Zakka I Iwas:
http://www.antiochian.org/joint-communique-abduction-bishop-paul-and-bishop-john
On Monday the 22.04.2013, we were surprised by the news that our brothers Bishop Paul (Yazigi) of Aleppo and Alexandretta and Bishop John (Ibrahim) Syriac Orthodox Bishop of Aleppo, have been kidnapped on their way back to Aleppo after accomplishing a humanitarian mission. We deeply regret what happened as we regret all similar acts targeting civilians, regardless of their belonging and therefore we address to the local and international communities the following declaration:
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2013, 09:10:07 AM »

It's remarkable (or maybe not?) how many big, respectable news outlets have passed this on uncritically.
It's remarkable (or maybe not?) how many big, respectable news outlets have passed on this. There is absolutely no mention of any of this in any Canadian news source that I can find. The BBC is covering the story adequately in my opinion.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: