OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 01:15:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: stone people to death ? too horrible and too cruel ?  (Read 616 times) Average Rating: 0
walter1234
High Elder

« on: May 05, 2013, 11:59:43 AM »

In OT, God often asked the Isaralities to stone the sinners to death.Is this penalty too cruel and too horrible? Why would God approved such torment in Israel  and even commanded the Isaralities to do such horrible thing?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 12:06:59 PM by walter1234 » Logged
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 12:11:44 PM »

subscribed

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 12:18:40 PM »

Because Elohim wanted to create a "holy nation" from Abraham's seed and hated sin. The sinners were "cast out" of this nation and punished. Now since Yeshua came, we have been in the period of grace and salvation. However, when Yeshua comes again in His glory, all the sinners will be cast out of Heavenly Jerusalem and condemned to eternal torture.

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 12:31:58 PM »

Stoning is horrible and impossibly cruel.  Sometimes I ask God why He commanded such things be done, but He usually responds, "Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?.."  Some things are not for us to know, at least for now. 

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 12:43:52 PM »

As what I know ,stoning people to death  is still commonly used by Islam (countries) nowadays... Cry  Undecided

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 12:46:05 PM by walter1234 » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 12:45:35 PM »

Would you prefer lethal injection, or perhaps for offenders to spend their lives in prison? Or for people to simply be let off without punishment and continue to hurt others? Are those more humane? And who decides what is humane, and why should that person be accounted as an authority?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 12:46:24 PM by Shanghaiski » Logged

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 12:49:57 PM »

As what I know ,stoning people to death  is still  used by Islam (countries) nowadays... Cry  Undecided

Yes, but they got it from Judaism like many other things. (Nothing surprising when we know that Islam is a distorted version of Judaism). Although there is no verse in the Qur'an to stipulate that people caught in adultery be stoned to death, Islamic tradition endorses this practice as Omar attributed it directly to Muhammad and said that he had heard Muhammad recite a Qur'an verse about stoning (rajm).

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 04:44:48 PM »

You need to accept guilt and sickness before you can accept forgiveness and healing. Personally, I think God took on the image of a harsh judge to convict the world of their problems so that they could accept the forgiveness and healing that came through the Incarnation. Anyhoo, I find it kind of funny how people emphasize the hard teachings of the OT so much but ignore those of the New. It wasn't until the New Testament that the concept of Hell, eternal fire and being persecuted and martyred for Christ's sake was introduced. In the Old Testament, God actually seemed like an okay guy. Harsh? Sure. But, if you lived by His words, things usually went well, and if you disobeyed Him, you only suffered in this life for it. But in the New Testament, we get down to the condition of the soul and eternal suffering, combined with some really hard moral expectations to adhere to.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 05:34:14 PM »

God found it appropiate, so whats the problem?

Thank you.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 05:55:37 PM »

Perhaps being sentenced to die horribly, as opposed to just die, is a better deterrent? In our humanitarian concerns, we seem to have forgotten that torture and gruesome methods of execution were the norm even in the civilised world until quite recently.

The Israelites are repeatedly called a hard and lawless people. The OT shows what happened as soon as Moses' back was turned, after all. If they needed a boot on the neck to learn to obey, that's what they got. By the NT, we are expected to have grown some conscience.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 06:31:54 PM »

As what I know ,stoning people to death  is still commonly used by Islam (countries) nowadays... Cry  Undecided

Perhaps you should read accounts of executions when lethal injection fails to kill the person right away and how they suffer. Of when they hang someone and the neck does not break as it should and they slowly strangle... etc.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 08:00:02 PM »

Perhaps we do not realize how bad sin really is. We have become accustomed to it and think it is not as bad as it is. Whether that is true or not, God's ways are above humanity and our reasoning, regardless of who you believe God is. We still have a troubling world we cannot deny whether you believe that which is described in the OT is real or not.
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 08:11:23 PM »

Another way to look at it is maybe God was trying to show us just how bad adultery specifically is (since it is the sin that it is the punishment for IIRC). Just think how many people it is hurting: The man and woman doing it, their spouses, and any potential children and grandchildren that come about from it, the adulterers' parents and the innocent spouses' parents as well.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 10:34:57 PM »

How about the very "Christian" manner of execution by burning.  Yes, even "the body of Christ" used this method on occasion.  I think that I would prefer the stoning. 

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 10:40:23 PM »

How about the very "Christian" manner of execution by burning.  Yes, even "the body of Christ" used this method on occasion.  I think that I would prefer the stoning. 

Eh, I'd take the burning. I'd rather my body be incinerated than left to deteriorate in the middle of the desert with animals picking it apart.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 11:17:26 PM »

Eh, I'd take the burning. I'd rather my body be incinerated than left to deteriorate in the middle of the desert with animals picking it apart.

What difference does it make after you are dead.  It is how you become that way that counts.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 12:11:35 AM »

If God asks you to stone a people to death today, will you obey him and follow his order?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:12:23 AM by walter1234 » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 12:15:23 AM »

If God asks you to stone a people to death today, will you obey him and follow his order?

Christ is Risen!

No.  The first martyr, St. Stephen, was killed by stoning.  Besides, why would God issue such an order?   Huh
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 01:10:52 AM »

well theortically, hmmmm

if it was God commanding, ok

but he better prove he is God first before making me do it...

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 10:57:23 AM »

well theortically, hmmmm

No need for that. If a voice tells you to kill someone, it ain't God.

"Oh, but what about Abraham?"

"You aren't Abraham."

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 11:25:32 AM »

The way I see it, God had to use more blunt methods to reach people in an era when humanity was more barbaric and uncivilized.  I think you see even in the OT that as civilization progressed, the punishments that He demanded to be meted out became less barbaric.  This is not to say that people now do not engage in outrageously barbaric activities, but society as a whole is less accepting of such activities today as opposed to back then.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 11:44:50 AM »

well theortically, hmmmm

"You aren't Abraham."

Yeah, and Abraham wasn't about God wanting a sacrifice.  God sent His son to die for us and brought Him from Abraham's line.  I see the (almost) sacrifice of Isaac as God saying "Are you willing to go as far as I am?"  Abraham was willing to sacrifice his own son to God and thus was worthy of having Christ come from his lineage.

As for stoning, look at all the other great options at that time.  The 9mm wasn't introduced until 1902.  It was pretty much feed them to critters, saw at their necks with a crappy bronze sword, or toss rocks at them. 
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 12:13:28 PM »

They'll stone you if your prophecies are bull (Leviticus 20:15)
They'll stone you if you call your dad a fool (Exodus 21:17)
They'll stone you if you hump your favorite horse (Exodus 22:19)
They'll stone you if you try to use the Force (Exodus 22:18).
But I would not feel so all alone...
Eeeeeverybody must get stoned. (Romans 3: 23)

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 12:35:43 PM »

But where can we find enough pot to get everyone stoned?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 12:35:56 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 12:37:06 PM »

They'll stone you if your prophecies are bull (Leviticus 20:15)
They'll stone you if you call your dad a fool (Exodus 21:17)
They'll stone you if you hump your favorite horse (Exodus 22:19)
They'll stone you if you try to use the Force (Exodus 22:18).
But I would not feel so all alone...

Excellent!  Grin

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 01:15:23 PM »

But where can we find enough pot to get everyone stoned?

A new unified state of Holland-Jamaica. 
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 02:02:29 PM »

Christ is Risen!

No.  The first martyr, St. Stephen, was killed by stoning.  Besides, why would God issue such an order?   Huh

God doesnt "issue orders" for us to carry out like robots. He also doesn't violate the Temporal Prime Directive not to mess with the time-line.
Even though he knows about lethal injection he does not  interfere with people living during a time when stoning is acceptable.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:03:06 PM by Marc1152 » Logged

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2013, 01:20:32 AM »

well theortically, hmmmm

"You aren't Abraham."

Well, I will not go so far to deny God can speak, but I have never heard him anyway and I don't think I ever will...

but again, I said theoretically, he could speak to whoever he wants. and no I am not Abraham, but I am glad Abraham listened.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 01:23:30 AM by Gunnarr » Logged

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: