OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 05:18:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My odd obsession  (Read 516 times) Average Rating: 0
sakura95
Love Live School Idol Festival noob :(
Warned
High Elder

Faith: Deciding between Coptic and Greek Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Constaninople and Alexandria

Good Morning OC Net (。・ω・)ノ゙

« on: October 26, 2014, 09:30:10 PM »

I have no idea why but I have an obsession with keeping my appearance "feminine". It's not like I want to become a female or am attracted to members of the same gender. I just want to look feminine for some odd reason which I mostly do by trying to keep my hair long.

I tried and tried my best to recall where and how I got this obsession. But I just can't seem to know where it came from. At one point, it was quite bad that I would wear my mother's hairband and put on her hair clips in secret. That however lasted for a short period of time. Still, I couldn't get over my obsession after that. I would refuse getting my hair cut each time my mother or father would ask of me to cut it. I would make all sorts of excuses just to prevent my hair from getting cut. On many occasions, my mother would often tell me how girlish I look with what she perceived to be my long hair(In all cases, my hair wasn't even shoulder length). This too was sort of settled after my parents promised that they wouldn't get the hairdresser to cut it short. I still have a hatred for going for haircuts till this day despite this promise my parents made.

The worst manifestation of my obsession though came not through action or thought but from a dream I once had. In short, I turned into a girl and enjoyed every bit of that dream I had.

Sometimes, my male friends would inform me of my femininity and ask me to cut my hair. Girls in my former school and in college simply encouraged the behavior. There was a phase during my high school years where girls would have the habit of feminizing me by placing all sorts of hairbands upon me. Now, I decided to question my obsession. Is it wrong? I mean I am not desiring to be a female or intend to put on makeup or anything. It's just somehow embedded in my natural form with my face resembling my mother's, long eyelashes and big eyes. Sometimes, it feels morally wrong. Sometimes it feels "normal" since my features are naturally that way unless my hair's short. I just don't know so I thought I might be best to seek your opinion.

Is it normal or acceptable for a male to want to look or appear feminine to some extent?

Just to be clear here, I don't intend to go all the way to cross dressing, pretending to be a girl or wanting to be one. I don't want to be feminine to the extent that I'm barely recognizable as a male.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 09:32:33 PM by sakura95 » Logged

Lord Have Mercy on my weak and doubtful soul
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 11:07:08 PM »

Maybe you are like Samson, who also sported long hair.

We all know what happened to him when it was cut. Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 11:11:21 PM »

Many cross dressers are hetero... Have a conversation with a Priest ASAP

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 11:14:09 PM »

It sounds like you might have OCD. I would encourage you to speak with both your priest and a therapist.

What you described is nothing to be ashamed of, but it sounds like it's bothering you and some of the rituals you've described aren't very healthy.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:14:33 PM by lovesupreme » Logged

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
sakura95
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 02:43:08 PM »

Many cross dressers are hetero... Have a conversation with a Priest ASAP

But I don't cross dress. I would be repulsed myself if I looked too feminine.

sakura95
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 02:45:41 PM »

It sounds like you might have OCD. I would encourage you to speak with both your priest and a therapist.

What you described is nothing to be ashamed of, but it sounds like it's bothering you and some of the rituals you've described aren't very healthy.

I don't know. It didn't alter my life in anyway at all except whenever my mother wants to take me out for a haircut.

As for the rituals, I can happily say that I stopped doing them. It's been about three years since I did it.

katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 02:47:58 PM »

Is it normal or acceptable for a male to want to look or appear feminine to some extent?

My opinion?
No.

But fashion etc. is also cultural. I imagine that Scotsmen in kilts don't think of themselves as appearing feminine.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 02:55:52 PM »

Question for clarification purposes. Do you like long hair which you perceive to be feminine or do you like looking feminine which is why you wear long hair? Those are two very different things.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
sakura95
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 03:08:39 PM »

Question for clarification purposes. Do you like long hair which you perceive to be feminine or do you like looking feminine which is why you wear long hair? Those are two very different things.

Well, it's more of the later.

sakura95
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 03:12:26 PM »

My opinion?
No.

But fashion etc. is also cultural. I imagine that Scotsmen in kilts don't think of themselves as appearing feminine.

Of course.

From what I know, such is acceptable to some extent in East Asian society.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 03:16:08 PM »

Do you have a negative emotional response to "macho" type men?

sakura95
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 03:25:25 PM »

Do you have a negative emotional response to "macho" type men?

I do not find "macho" type men repulsive at all.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 04:08:41 PM »

IMO as long as you have no intention of changing your sex or intentionally dressing as a female, nothing wrong with that. God did not create gender roles and these things vary from time to time and from culture to culture. I like to sport somewhat androgynous look sometimes and I see nothing wrong with it. No reason to identify with anything just because you like this or that kind of look or because you had this or that kind of dream.

However if you feel uneasy about it I would definitely concur marc1152's idea. Talk to your priest.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 04:14:22 PM by Alpo » Logged

sakura95
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 07:40:47 PM »

IMO as long as you have no intention of changing your sex or intentionally dressing as a female, nothing wrong with that. God did not create gender roles and these things vary from time to time and from culture to culture. I like to sport somewhat androgynous look sometimes and I see nothing wrong with it. No reason to identify with anything just because you like this or that kind of look or because you had this or that kind of dream.

However if you feel uneasy about it I would definitely concur marc1152's idea. Talk to your priest.

I guess I can happily say that my obsession is alright then. Though I got that obsession long before I had that delightfully weird dream of becoming a girl.

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2014, 09:50:45 PM »

I wouldn't pay too much attention to dreams. I've had all kinds of dreams that I enjoyed that would certainly raise the eyebrows of any normal person.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 10:26:05 PM »

I wouldn't pay too much attention to dreams. I've had all kinds of dreams that I enjoyed that would certainly raise the eyebrows of any normal person.

Wait till you get to be an old crock like me, when sleep apnea and other age-related delights kick in. Salvador Dali had nothing on the things I've seen.  Grin
DeniseDenise
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 10:29:11 PM »

So one more opinion here.

I think the issue is not the actual hair or preference for a more feminine aspect.

I think the potential issue here is that you keep describing it as an 'obsession'   which to me indicates you are spending mental time on the idea. Lots of mental time on the idea.

For -this- part of it I would both talk to a priest and like several have suggestion also a counselor. They can both help you determine whether this is just a 'preference' or something more truly an 'obsession' that might need some care.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 10:31:11 PM »

I think the issue is not the actual hair or preference for a more feminine aspect.

I think the potential issue here is that you keep describing it as an 'obsession'   which to me indicates you are spending mental time on the idea. Lots of mental time on the idea.

For -this- part of it I would both talk to a priest and like several have suggestion also a counselor. They can both help you determine whether this is just a 'preference' or something more truly an 'obsession' that might need some care.

You beat me to it.  Smiley
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2014, 01:20:29 AM »

He's a teenager. Teenagers are often confused and spend a lot of mental time thinking whether there's something wrong with them. That's perfectly normal and for all things written in this thread he's perfectly normal too.

However it's never a bad idea to talk to someone who can help. Even if one might feel the question and/or topic is silly.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 05:11:57 AM »

I like to sport somewhat androgynous look sometimes and I see nothing wrong with it.

That's why you'll never be the menswear pope.

Why would you think 'normal people' don't enjoy messed up dreams?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 05:13:02 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 08:35:41 AM »

I like to sport somewhat androgynous look sometimes and I see nothing wrong with it.

Why would you think 'normal people' don't enjoy messed up dreams?
lol, not saying they don't, and I consider myself to be (generally) normal too. If I sit down the next day and think about my dream though, it is not unusual for me to think, wow, that was really messed up, my brain has some weird stuff stuck up in there.

sakura95
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 09:06:28 AM »

Yes, I do spent a lot of mental activity on it, particularly after every haircut I get. However, there are some times when I don't particularly think about it. Insofar, nothing significantly negative came from it unless I have to get a haircut.....

sakura95
Warned
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 09:08:30 AM »

He's a teenager. Teenagers are often confused and spend a lot of mental time thinking whether there's something wrong with them. That's perfectly normal and for all things written in this thread he's perfectly normal too.

However it's never a bad idea to talk to someone who can help. Even if one might feel the question and/or topic is silly.

I never thought wearing female headgear would be considered normal though to my defense, I seen men wearing hairbands before.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 02:24:54 PM »

That title is reserved to all the miniscule vagante churches and their endless wardrobes of mismatched vestments.

Btw, I tried to google some pics for proof but the result was pics of our admin. Google is a New Calendarist conspiracy.

Tags: Feminine  obsession 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: