OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 11:45:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saudi Arabia to Orthonorm, "Keep out"  (Read 990 times) Average Rating: 0
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« on: April 18, 2013, 12:13:11 PM »

Grin

Saudi Arabia deports 'irresistible' men deemed 'too handsome' to women

The delegates from the United Arab Emirates were in attendance at the Jenadrivah Heritage & Culture Festival in Riyadh, the Saudi capital, when religious police officers stormed the stand and evicted the men because “they are too handsome,” according to the Arabic language newspaper, Elaph.

“A festival official said the three Emiratis were taken out on the grounds they are too handsome and that the Commission [for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vices] members feared female visitors could fall for them,” Elaph reported.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/saudiarabia/10000341/Saudi-Arabia-deports-irresistible-men-deemed-too-handsome-to-women.html

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 12:19:20 PM »

Is Elaph the Arabic version of the Onion?

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 12:27:30 PM »

The greatest compliment a man could ever recieve.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 12:33:50 PM »

Awwwww, shucks!  They didn't show a photo of the overly handsome men.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 04:23:23 PM »

Liza, got your back:

Will you look at that swag!  It's almost making me feel a little light headed.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 04:33:08 PM »

....ohhhhh....such temptation....and during Great Lent, no less.    angel

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 04:35:34 PM »

Liza, got your back:

Do you see how that second guy from the left is lifting his leg?
Daring.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »

Liza, got your back:

Will you look at that swag!  It's almost making me feel a little light headed.

Daring.

And all for the sake of.......... orthonorm!!  He must be in a total swoon by now Grin Grin.  (Or quivering with fear in a puddle on the floor.)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 04:46:57 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 05:03:02 PM »

Liza, got your back:

Daring.

I thought they don't drink alcohol, I guess this guy makes an exception for the captain...

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 05:56:46 PM »

Liza, got your back:

Daring.

Yes, he's showing too much ankle, too. Oh my!
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 06:03:31 PM »

Liza, got your back:

Daring.

I thought they don't drink alcohol, I guess this guy makes an exception for the captain...

Aha! The western infidels have infiltrated Holy Saudi Arabia in order to delude muslims into drinking alcohol. Quick, fetch me a fatwa.

-St Silouan the athonite
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 01:12:24 AM »

I knew I shouldn't have gone shirtless!

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 01:33:19 AM »

This is begging for a 'shop of some sort

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2013, 09:42:53 AM »

I found the picture, but I suck at photo shoppage.

Someone needs to put that stock Orthonorm photo in there, and use JamesR, Gebre, and perhaps Isa for the other three,
James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2013, 09:46:22 AM »

Liza, got your back:

Daring.

Either that, or he ate too many beans.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2013, 09:50:54 AM »

I found the picture, but I suck at photo shoppage.

Someone needs to put that stock Orthonorm photo in there, and use JamesR, Gebre, and perhaps Isa for the other three,

Just "envisioning" that, makes me laugh!

—St. Isaac of Syria
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »

Maneaua lui Suleyman

This is a Romanian ode (manea) to the Magnificent Suleiman - the hero of a Turkish TV soap, which apparently has gained a following in Romania. The lyrics are hilarious; unfortunately a lot is lost in translation (even though a friend did his best to render it into English):

1. Luni și marți e sărbătoare                                 Mondays, Tuesdays—holidays
   În casă la fiecare:                                           In just about everybody's house  
   Așteaptă tot publicu'                                       All the audiences are waiting  
   Suleiman Magnificu'. (2x)                                  For Suleiman the Magnificent.

Refren: Suleimane, Suleimane,                              Suleiman, oh Suleiman,          
           Ai rupt inima-n cocoane!                          You broke every lady's heart!
           Orice femeie din lume                               All the women in this world
           Și-ar da viața pentru tine.                        Would lay down their lives for you.

2. Suleiman are cadâne,                                      Suleiman has many wives (kadın)
   Dar nici una nu-i ca mine,                                 But none of them is like me;
   Sunt slabe și jegărite                                        They are all skinny and scraggy,
   Nu-s ca mine împlinite.                                     Unlike me—I am all chubby.

3. Suleimane, Suleimane,                                     Suleiman, oh Suleiman,
    Te iubesc, măi Suleimane!                                How I love you, Suleiman!
    Ia-mă în harem la tine                                     Take me into your harem,
    Și țin cură de slăbire!                                      And I will go on a diet!

4. Dacă vrei să-ți fiu sultană,                               If you want me as your sultana,
   Cumpără-mi haină de blană,                              Make sure you buy me a fur coat,
   Să bag boală în harem.                                     Just to spite all the harem.
   Sunt mai tare ca Hürrem! R. (2x)                        I'm way cooler than Hürrem!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 07:15:20 PM by Romaios » Logged
DuxI

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Macedonian Orthodox Church

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 07:14:23 PM »

This is a Romanian ode (manea) to the Magnificent Suleyman - the hero of a Turkish TV soap, which apparently has gained a following in Romania. The lyrics are hilarious; unfortunately a lot is lost in translation (even though a friend did his best to render it into English):

The Turkish soap opera about Suleyman the Magnificient is popular in my country too. But, if someone starts following it (i watch it sometimes too), it will quickly conclude that Suleyman is far from Magnificient. In fact, from that serial, it can be concluded his wife Roxelana (Hurem Sultana) was the one that can be called Magnificient Sultana, because she was the one that achieved everything she wanted by manipulating with everyone, even Suleyman himself. 
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 07:24:29 PM »

The Turkish soap opera about Suleyman the Magnificient is popular in my country too. But, if someone starts following it (i watch it sometimes too), it will quickly conclude that Suleyman is far from Magnificient. In fact, from that serial, it can be concluded his wife Roxelana (Hurem Sultana) was the one that can be called Magnificient Sultana, because she was the one that achieved everything she wanted by manipulating with everyone, even Suleyman himself. 

I never watched it - someone I know shared this "manea" on FB and I found it "magnificent" in its own way.

If the soap also has a feminist kick to it, I guess that explains its popularity with the ladies.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 07:27:48 PM by Romaios » Logged
DuxI

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Macedonian Orthodox Church

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 07:36:41 PM »

I never watched it - someone I know shared this "manea" on FB and I found it "magnificent" in its own way.

If the soap also has a feminist kick to it, I guess that explains its popularity with the ladies.

It is popular here, males and females watch it. It is not feminist, in fact it blames a woman (Hurem Sultana) about many bad things that happened in the Ottoman Empire.
Unfortunately, many things in that novel are not  historically accurate. There are things which i never met in historical sources. And also, the novel is focused too much about the things in the harem, which sometimes is very boring.
jayjay

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2013, 11:11:51 PM »

Actually the photo was taken from the smash hit show "Saudis Got Talent" It was their version of YMCA. Just couldn't work out which one was the Indian though.  Grin
Tags: orthonorm 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: