OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 25, 2014, 12:21:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ROCOR congregation meets in basement of Catholic church  (Read 1347 times) Average Rating: 0
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« on: January 13, 2003, 11:38:30 AM »

Click here for story in NY Daily News.

Such charity on the part of the Catholic Church towards the Orthodox in North America is nothing new, even though AFAIK it wasn’t frequent, and has nothing to do with Vatican II. In the 1920s Archbishop McNeil in Toronto helped the Russians build an Orthodox church and even gave them a chalice, back when such gestures meant something and weren’t debased by lending churches and liturgical vessels to Protestants.

Having seen the heart of Russian New York for the first time recently I wondered if ROCOR, the most Russian church in America, was doing anything for these people and I am happy to see it is. And contra charges of proselytism, the Catholic Church is acting like a gentleman. Wonderful.

Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2003, 01:23:35 PM »

Fr. Kallaur says there are 300,000 Russian Orthodox in Brooklyn and no church for them to worship in.  This is incorrect.  There was no ROCOR church for them to worship in!  

The OCA has at least two large churches in Brooklyn: Holy Transfiguration Cathedral and Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church.  I've been to this latter OCA church: it's still on the Julian Calendar and still has all its services in Slavonic and homilies in Russian, not English, and has no pews.  Beautifully frescoed throughout.  Mostly an immigrant congregation that has grown considerably in the last decade.  

Hypo-Ortho
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2003, 01:32:57 PM »

Fr. Kallaur says there are 300,000 Russian Orthodox in Brooklyn and no church for them to worship in.  This is incorrect.  There was no ROCOR church for them to worship in!

Good catch!

Tags: ROCOR 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: