OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 06:34:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Confession  (Read 555 times) Average Rating: 0
Pne123

Faith: Catechumens
Jurisdiction: Antioch church of America

« on: April 23, 2013, 05:38:58 PM »

Can an orthodox christian attend confession withna catholic priest instead of an orthodox priest. I am not certain i am comfortable with the orthodox priest and the church is a long distance away. My wife and I would also have the same orthodox priest confessor. What are peoples thoughts on being able to have catholic priest confessor.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 05:42:50 PM »

I'm not a priest or anything. I don't think you can do that, though.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 06:50:34 PM »

Confession is a Sacrament of the Orthodox Church, just like Communion, Baptism, etc.

Therefore, you may only confess to an Orthodox priest, just like you must partake of the Eucharist in an Orthodox Church.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 09:58:38 PM »

Can an orthodox christian attend confession withna catholic priest instead of an orthodox priest. I am not certain i am comfortable with the orthodox priest and the church is a long distance away. My wife and I would also have the same orthodox priest confessor. What are peoples thoughts on being able to have catholic priest confessor.

Call one up (an orthodox priest) and see if he can come to you...or he can think of an alternative...
Here is a directory http://orthodoxyinamerica.org/

Good be with you!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 10:07:51 PM by Putnik Namernik » Logged
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 12:51:14 AM »

One thing that happens in confession is reconciliation to the Church, so I wouldn't suggest confession to a RC priest unless you wish to be reconciled to their church. You may be better off finding another Orthodox priest, possibly closer to where you live.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 08:39:49 AM »

That's an excellent point, Melodist.

I've known a few Greek Catholic individuals who were accepted in to Orthodoxy simply by coming to Confession.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 03:08:48 AM »

Orthodox confession is not like Catholic confession, even though, it is unfortunate to say that many Orthodox do not practice confession properly. Confession is a mystery, a way of healing the soul and not a judicial process. God performs this mystery through the priest, but again the role of the priest is often misunderstood and seen in an authoritative manner.

Going to Catholic confession would be the equivalent of going to a psychologist to ask for some help and to relieve your burden. Spiritually speaking, the Orthodox Church is where The Truth is found and where you would want to be, given that as I said, the people aren't perfect, but the faith is (no pride, just stating facts that everybody can verify if they wish).
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:13:49 AM by IoanC » Logged

Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 09:20:20 AM »

Going to Orthodox confession is very different than Catholic confession. But God`s mercy and love is so wonderful. I take it very seriously, despite being new and still trying to figure how to do it right.

Pray for me.
Bear over with a brother still being new and do the rookie mistakes.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
michigander

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 04:12:22 PM »

Why do you see it as a problem that you and your wife would have the same confessor if you went to the Orthodox priest? I would think that would be a good thing; the priest can better provide counsel for you and your wife if he knows the whole situation. Remember that confession is strictly confidential, so that if the priest tells your wife about something that you've confessed, or vice versa, he would be in serious violation of Church order and could be defrocked for it.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: