Author Topic: Mikhail's Russian name  (Read 737 times)

Offline Radost

Mikhail's Russian name
« on: April 12, 2013, 10:49:36 PM »
I am wondering since there are lots of girls who convert to Russian Orthodoxy who take Archangel Michael as their patron saint when they convert, what name do the choose during their baptism.  Would it be something like Mishel...Мишэл? just like the men take the name Михаил?  What would be the Russian female name for Mikhail?

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
Re: Mikhail's Russian name
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 10:58:05 PM »
I am wondering since there are lots of girls who convert to Russian Orthodoxy who take Archangel Michael as their patron saint when they convert, what name do the choose during their baptism.  Would it be something like Mishel...Мишэл? just like the men take the name Михаил?  What would be the Russian female name for Mikhail?
Микаэла Mikaela.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 10:59:16 PM »

Russian custom says that one's patron saint (or archangel) is the same sex as the person being baptised. Greek tradition allows a woman to have a male saint as her patron (Vasileios becomes Vasiliki, George becomes Georgia, etc), and a man to have a female saint as his patron.

However, there is now a saint Michaela, Venerable New-martyr Michaela of Moscow. She was a nun, and was caught up in the persecutions following the Russian revolution. She was executed by the Soviets in 1937.
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to PM me or email me at the address in my profile.

Offline Radost

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 11:03:55 PM »
Thank you for this information. I was just reading some books about the Holy Matyrs and the Russian revolution.   How did Saint Michaela receive her name?  Was Arkhangel Mikhail her patron saint? 

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 02:57:03 AM »
Thank you for this information. I was just reading some books about the Holy Matyrs and the Russian revolution.   How did Saint Michaela receive her name?  Was Arkhangel Mikhail her patron saint? 

She was tonsured Michaela, and the Archangel was her patron. It is common monastic practice, including in Russia, for monastics to receive a name where their patron is of the opposite sex.
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to PM me or email me at the address in my profile.

Offline Radost

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 02:58:25 AM »
Where could I find more information on her?  Is there a book on her...I'm also learning to read Russian so maybe there is something in Russian on her somewhere? 

Offline Radost

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 03:00:54 AM »
Could you also please show me a link to an image of her?  I want to know her story and how she came to choose Arkhangel Mikhail. 

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 03:01:53 AM »
Where could I find more information on her?  Is there a book on her...I'm also learning to read Russian so maybe there is something in Russian on her somewhere? 

All the information on her I've come across is in Russian. I'll find it for you and post on it.  :)

Offline Radost

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 12:01:57 PM »
I am looking very VERY forward to learning a LOT more about this saint.  Thank you so much. :)