OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 10:39:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mikhail's Russian name  (Read 549 times) Average Rating: 0
Radost

Faith: seeking

« on: April 12, 2013, 10:49:36 PM »

I am wondering since there are lots of girls who convert to Russian Orthodoxy who take Archangel Michael as their patron saint when they convert, what name do the choose during their baptism.  Would it be something like Mishel...Мишэл? just like the men take the name Михаил?  What would be the Russian female name for Mikhail?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 10:58:05 PM »

I am wondering since there are lots of girls who convert to Russian Orthodoxy who take Archangel Michael as their patron saint when they convert, what name do the choose during their baptism.  Would it be something like Mishel...Мишэл? just like the men take the name Михаил?  What would be the Russian female name for Mikhail?
Микаэла Mikaela.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 10:59:16 PM »

Russian custom says that one's patron saint (or archangel) is the same sex as the person being baptised. Greek tradition allows a woman to have a male saint as her patron (Vasileios becomes Vasiliki, George becomes Georgia, etc), and a man to have a female saint as his patron.

However, there is now a saint Michaela, Venerable New-martyr Michaela of Moscow. She was a nun, and was caught up in the persecutions following the Russian revolution. She was executed by the Soviets in 1937.
Radost

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 11:03:55 PM »

Thank you for this information. I was just reading some books about the Holy Matyrs and the Russian revolution.   How did Saint Michaela receive her name?  Was Arkhangel Mikhail her patron saint? 
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 02:57:03 AM »

Thank you for this information. I was just reading some books about the Holy Matyrs and the Russian revolution.   How did Saint Michaela receive her name?  Was Arkhangel Mikhail her patron saint? 

She was tonsured Michaela, and the Archangel was her patron. It is common monastic practice, including in Russia, for monastics to receive a name where their patron is of the opposite sex.
Radost

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 02:58:25 AM »

Where could I find more information on her?  Is there a book on her...I'm also learning to read Russian so maybe there is something in Russian on her somewhere? 
Radost

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 03:00:54 AM »

Could you also please show me a link to an image of her?  I want to know her story and how she came to choose Arkhangel Mikhail. 
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 03:01:53 AM »

Where could I find more information on her?  Is there a book on her...I'm also learning to read Russian so maybe there is something in Russian on her somewhere? 

All the information on her I've come across is in Russian. I'll find it for you and post on it.  Smiley
Radost

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 12:01:57 PM »

I am looking very VERY forward to learning a LOT more about this saint.  Thank you so much. Smiley
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: