OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 06:51:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dilemma  (Read 408 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: April 12, 2013, 09:32:14 PM »

Okay here is a question I have been pondering for quite a while--and even alluded to in one of the Hyperdox Herman memes. I know it sounds silly at first, but, here it goes:

If the fetus inside of a pregnant woman is considered a person--hence why we are (or at least should be) against abortion--then how come pregnant women are allowed to receive the Eucharist? Technically wouldn't it be heresy to commune a pregnant woman since the fetus would be sharing in the Eucharist and thus we would be communing an unbaptized person? I only see two options; either, the Church is in error for giving the Eucharist to unbaptized fetuses all these years, or fetuses aren't really people. Pick your poison Smiley

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 10:35:39 PM »

The Church is never in error.

The fetus is a life, however, it is still within it's mother.  The Eucharist will filter through to the child, just as her blood provides it life sustaining nutrients. 

James....you way overthink these things.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 10:43:55 PM »

Okay here is a question I have been pondering for quite a while--and even alluded to in one of the Hyperdox Herman memes. I know it sounds silly at first, but, here it goes:

If the fetus inside of a pregnant woman is considered a person--hence why we are (or at least should be) against abortion--then how come pregnant women are allowed to receive the Eucharist? Technically wouldn't it be heresy to commune a pregnant woman since the fetus would be sharing in the Eucharist and thus we would be communing an unbaptized person? I only see two options; either, the Church is in error for giving the Eucharist to unbaptized fetuses all these years, or fetuses aren't really people. Pick your poison Smiley

When I water and fertilize the flowers, I also water and feed the seeds that are in the process of forming.

[/thread_win]   Grin
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 11:52:57 PM »

I'm just going to play.  Just some randomness.

Pre-birth a child is not born.

Baptism is "being born again of water & the spirit".

Thus water is used, same as the water breaking when the baby is born.

You can't be born again if you aren't born. 

The baby is also connected to its mother, and arguably are one in the same.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 12:03:09 AM »

One could also argue that a nursing mother may share the Eucharist with her child through her milk.

Does that mean nursing moms ought not partake?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 12:21:20 AM »

No, the Holy Gifts do not pass through to the child. Or do ye suppose they be mere food and drink?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 12:24:46 AM »

No, the Holy Gifts do not pass through to the child. Or do ye suppose they be mere food and drink?

Says who?  If the bread species of Holy Communion can cause attacks of celiac disease in people, what stops the bread from passing from mother to child?   Huh
lovesupreme
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 01:04:45 AM »

Says who?  If the bread species of Holy Communion can cause attacks of celiac disease in people, what stops the bread from passing from mother to child?   Huh

I think he's saying that the Actual Presence doesn't transfer to the unborn child. How do we even know that?

Regardless, it's the mother who takes the communion, not the child.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 01:05:00 AM by lovesupreme » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 01:09:26 AM »

Says who?  If the bread species of Holy Communion can cause attacks of celiac disease in people, what stops the bread from passing from mother to child?   Huh

I think he's saying that the Actual Presence doesn't transfer to the unborn child. How do we even know that?

If a Holy Father said that the Body and Blood of Christ do not pass through to the unborn child, then that would be acceptable.

The products of digestion enter the mother's bloodstream and pass through the placenta.
lovesupreme
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 01:34:52 AM »

If a Holy Father said that the Body and Blood of Christ do not pass through to the unborn child, then that would be acceptable.

The products of digestion enter the mother's bloodstream and pass through the placenta.

Right, but I'm saying it's the mother who willfully takes the communion. She is the person to whom the priest serves the bread and wine. The child receives it as a consequence.

Wait, why am I still talking about this. Silly James.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2013, 06:27:51 PM »

Always eaten, but never consumed.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 06:28:56 PM »

Says who?  If the bread species of Holy Communion can cause attacks of celiac disease in people, what stops the bread from passing from mother to child?   Huh

Who says a child in the womb does commune? Either you must produce evidence of this or be silent.

SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 06:45:01 PM »

Who says a child in the womb does commune? Either you must produce evidence of this or be silent.

The answer is no, from an OO website which mentions a council that took place in 315 before the OO split:

Just as, Holy Communion may not be administered to dead or unconscious persons, so it would seem to follow that unintended Communion to the fetus through the blood of the mother does not take place, nor would the nursing child receive Communion either, when the mother receives Holy Communion.

http://www.mosc.in/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=320&Itemid=0495

I'm sorry to have troubled you.  Forgive me a sinner.   angel
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 04:51:54 PM »

The answer is no, from an OO website which mentions a council that took place in 315 before the OO split:

Just as, Holy Communion may not be administered to dead or unconscious persons, so it would seem to follow that unintended Communion to the fetus through the blood of the mother does not take place, nor would the nursing child receive Communion either, when the mother receives Holy Communion.

http://www.mosc.in/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=320&Itemid=0495

I'm sorry to have troubled you.  Forgive me a sinner.   angel

No worries. Forgive me.

A priest told me last Sunday that the sacraments are for hypostases. The hypostasis (or person) of the mother receives communion or confession or whatever, while the hypostasis of the baby in her womb or nursing does not.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 05:02:34 PM »

As I've said, the RCs will have you yet.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2013, 05:04:06 PM »

James....you way overthink these things.

Excess is often a virtue. Frankly, wouldn't you want him putting his energy into this than other stuff guys his ages don't even bother to think about?

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2013, 05:04:54 PM »

I'm just going to play.  Just some randomness.

Pre-birth a child is not born.

Baptism is "being born again of water & the spirit".

Thus water is used, same as the water breaking when the baby is born.

You can't be born again if you aren't born.  

YIM,

Not a bad, straightforward apologetic! Nice.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 05:05:02 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: