OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 12:43:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Iconographer  (Read 2399 times) Average Rating: 0
Mudriy

Token Ukrainian Nationalist

« on: October 08, 2002, 07:55:42 PM »

Forum,
My church is in need of some icon work for the Holy Place, iconostas, and church nave.

I am on the committee for this project. Can anyone recomend an iconographer? Thanks.

surferuke

"Tranquil Light of the Holy Glory, of the Immortal, Heavenly Holy, Blessed Father.... As we come upn the Sunset, as we see the Evening Light, we sing to God: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. At all times you are worthy...."
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2002, 08:07:37 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Archimandrate Gregory of Dormition Skete does a wonderful job. Email gocofusa@chaffee.net and DormitionSkete@starband.net to get a response and possibly a quote.

Below are some samples and a word from them on such icons. God Bless!

Hand-painted icons and also frescoes for church walls are available from Dormition Skete. They are painted by Archimandrite Gregory, the abbot of Dormition Skete, and his disciples at the monastery. Father Gregory has been painting icons for approximately 35 years, and works in the Greek Cretan School of Iconography, following in the footsteps of the great contemporary master iconographer of Greece, Photios Kontoglou.

Father Gregory (Abu-Asaly) is of Lebanese and Syrian descent, baptized in the Antiochian Church, and comes from a long line of religious Orthodox men and women. He is directly related to the first Antiochian bishop consecrated in America, Archbishop Victor (Abu-Asaly) 1924-1934. Father Gregory is a monk of the Great-Schema, who holds the monastic tradition of the Holy Mountain Athos, in Greece. He came to Colorado to live the monastic skete life and to establish Dormition Skete in 1979.

To know the background of your iconographer is good and useful information, for it helps to insure that the icons are painted in the true tradition of Orthodoxy. This tradition has been nourished and handed down to us from the East, where Father Gregory has visited, usually once a year, making pilgrimages to Mount Athos, Meteora, Jerusalem, Sinai, and places like these where ancient icons are preserved.

A panel icon from Dormition Skete is painted on 1/2 inch wood, with 23K gold, and polished haloes. The price of each icon is determined by the size and number of figures, so a quote is necessary for each subject. The icon is then finished with a polyurethane varnish, and makes a handsome addition to any church or for private devotions in the home.

The fresco icons, available through Dormition Skete, are painted on canvas, and then applied to the walls of churches. The dimensions of these paintings are unique to every wall area. Nothing is too small, and nothing is too large. After the icons are painted on canvas, they are shipped to the destination, and are applied to the walls by Father Gregory and his assistants. The walls are then completed and the finished product looks as if the whole theme was painted on the wall, as is depicted in the dome of our Catalogue. This dome, the decorative work, and the pendentives are comprised of 60 pieces of canvas, which were attached to the plaster and finished to look as though painted on the site. This greatly facilitates the accuracy of the frescoes, because they are done at the monastery, under ideal conditions, and then attached to the walls of the particular church.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Mudriy

Token Ukrainian Nationalist

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2002, 07:54:39 PM »

Wow, thanks Nik. The icons he wrote are quite nice.

Can anyone else on this forum suggest an iconographer?

Thanks

surferuke

"Tranquil Light of the Holy Glory, of the Immortal, Heavenly Holy, Blessed Father.... As we come upn the Sunset, as we see the Evening Light, we sing to God: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. At all times you are worthy...."
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2002, 09:28:13 PM »

Wow, thanks Nik. The icons he wrote are quite nice.

Can anyone else on this forum suggest an iconographer?

Thanks

surferuke

Surferuke,

Glory to Jesus Christ!

I would unhesitatingly recommend Archpriest Andrew Tregubov, rector of Holy Resurrection Orthodox Church, 99 Sullivan Street, Claremont, New Hampshire.  Fr. Andrew has experience in painting in several iconographic styles, e.g., Russian, Byzantine, and is also an expert in the style of the late Latvian Orthodox iconographer, Hieromonk Gregory Kroug.  

Many young iconographers around the country have studied under Fr. Andrew, and many newer and renovated Orthodox churches in the USA have at least some of Fr. Andrew's original icons.  Fr. Andrew paints icons with the more traditional "egg tempera" or modern acrylic, and also does mosaic icons as well.

In Christ,
Hypo-Ortho
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2002, 08:47:10 AM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Also Mr. Jamell Abraham of http://www.msocp.com/iconography.htm does frescos & murals. Check out the site for more info on him and his icons. Hopefully having 3 reccomendation will be a good start. God Bless!

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Hello for now, my friend

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2002, 12:16:20 AM »

Nick Papas does some very beautiful icons. I've seen his work in a number of Western Pennsylvanian Churches I've visited and would recommend him. Here is a link through which you can contact him: http://www.comeandseeicons.com/papas.htm

Also, don't let the sometimes fuzzy images on the website fool you, Nick is very good at what he does. For instance, this icon of the foot washing: http://www.comeandseeicons.com/inp27.htm  appears fuzzy, but I've seen it in person (Father John Abdallah has a much larger version than what they are selling on the site) and it was well done, and awe-inspiring.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin

Hey, so I'm in a pop-alt-punk-folk-prog band called "Affable Dregs" and we have a new album coming out, titled "Vicious Turnips Always Taste Most Delicious." We'd really appreciate your support!
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2002, 01:21:46 PM »

Here's another one: David Mastroberte

http://www.angelfire.com/pa/slavic

Stephen Barrow

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2002, 01:59:37 PM »

Father Theodore Jurewicz of the Old Rite Church of the Nativity in Erie, PA is a most excellent choice.  He has painted many parish churches, the interior of a Serbian Women's Monastery in IN as well as many icons for individuals.  His Beatitude Theodosius, former Metropolitan of the OCA, has had many icons painted by Father Theodore.
David
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2002, 01:23:36 AM »

I second the suggestion of Fr. Andrew Tregubov.   Fr. Andrew is writing all of the icons for our new iconostasis as we can afford them.  Not to say that his work is not reasonably priced, but we are a small but growing mission in the heart of the Bible Belt.  You may view his work at www.tregubovstudios.com

I would post some images of his icons, but he has requested site visitors not to do this.  If you look at the icons, be sure to view the magnified images.  The thumbnails do not give Fr. Andrew's rich use of color justice.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: