Author Topic: The Disappearing Orthodox  (Read 1539 times)

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Passaic
The Disappearing Orthodox
« on: April 02, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
I've noticed lately that, usually on Fridays, usually in the late morning/afternoon, this board totally disappears.  Sometimes just for an hour or so, but sometimes for up to almost a whole day.  Can anyone shed some light on this strange phenomenon??
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
Re: The Disappearing Orthodox
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 11:04:49 AM »

Yes, the board was down last Friday.  That was not pre-planned or intentional....just some technical difficulties.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Merarches
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 11:05:53 AM »

Yes, the board was down last Friday.  That was not pre-planned or intentional....just some technical difficulties.

What about the rest of the times?
"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 11:15:06 AM »

We're up and running the rest of the time.

Granted there are occasional blips....server hiccups, etc.  These things happen.
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
  • We must go back!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 11:43:06 AM »
On fridays the muezzin calls us to prayer but isha'allah we're always back on saturday.

Salaam.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:48:24 AM by Cyrillic »
We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!
-T.S. Eliot

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 11:45:10 AM »

...bite your tongue.   ::)
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 12:26:41 PM »

...bite your tongue.   ::)

It's Great Lent.  He probably shouldn't  ;D  Oh...okay...you didn't tell him to eat his tongue, thank God :D.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 12:56:45 PM »
Most people post here when they're supposed to be working. On Fridays they have switched to planning their weekend.
"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 01:15:56 PM »

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Weekend attendance is rather sparse. 
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 02:16:01 PM »

I think so, too.
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 03:33:01 PM »
Friday evening is the perfect time for parties since there is weekend, there is no fast and there are no services next day.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 04:12:37 PM »
I've noticed lately that, usually on Fridays, usually in the late morning/afternoon, this board totally disappears.  Sometimes just for an hour or so, but sometimes for up to almost a whole day.  Can anyone shed some light on this strange phenomenon??

I've not read the responses.

But you are correct that more often than other times of late the board has been down on Fridays. Evidently, a few of those time were due to attempt to "upgrade" the site. Last week was a database failure of some sort, if the return error message were correct.

Perhaps Friday is the time when the sys admin has time to play?
If you have PMed me, the mods have taken my ability to PM away. Please see my email if you wish to contact me during my time of trial.

Offline J Michael

• Merarches
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 04:24:35 PM »

I've not read the responses.

But you are correct that more often than other times of late the board has been down on Fridays. Evidently, a few of those time were due to attempt to "upgrade" the site. Last week was a database failure of some sort, if the return error message were correct.

Perhaps Friday is the time when the sys admin has time to play?

Play?  PLAY?? In Russia, is no play!  OUTRAGE!!!!

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
  • The Lord helps those who help others
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 08:17:07 PM »
In Russia there is no  internet,what an OUTAGE  ;D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 08:20:25 PM by Sinful Hypocrite »
The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“

Offline William

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 08:33:35 PM »
Friday evening is the perfect time for parties since there is weekend, there is no fast and there are no services next day.

Do you fast by liturgical rather than solar days?
Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Bulgaria
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2013, 06:33:59 AM »

No fast on friday?

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 10:02:11 AM »
No fast on friday?

No fast on Friday evening.

Friday evening is traditional and most popular time for wedding receptions for Orthodox here for example.

Offline jmbejdl

• Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
  • OC.net guru
  • Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2013, 10:21:08 AM »

No fast on friday?

Traditionally days run from and to sundown. It's not uncommon for people, therefore, to start Friday's fast at sundown on Thursday and end it sundown Friday (after which it's Saturday, so no fast). This isn't common in the west, but it's certainly what my Romanian in-laws do. I don't do it here because I think I'd have a tendency to start at midnight and finish at sundown, but when we're with them I do as they do.

James
We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos

Offline Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South (OCA)
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2013, 01:43:28 PM »

No fast on friday?

Traditionally days run from and to sundown. It's not uncommon for people, therefore, to start Friday's fast at sundown on Thursday and end it sundown Friday (after which it's Saturday, so no fast). This isn't common in the west, but it's certainly what my Romanian in-laws do. I don't do it here because I think I'd have a tendency to start at midnight and finish at sundown, but when we're with them I do as they do.

James

Sounds like a local variation.

Offline jmbejdl

• Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
  • OC.net guru
  • Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2013, 03:12:56 AM »

No fast on friday?

James

No, I don't think so, more of a holdout from a past practice. A priest told me that it used to be normal but that it's been dying out as we now tend to think in days that run from midnight to midnight rather than the Church days (perhaps more accurately nights and days, but nobody speaks like that any more) that run from sundown to sundown. Apparently its not that unusual, particularly for older people in rural areas (and my wife's region certainly is) in Romania to still go by the Church days, though.

James
We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos

Online vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2013, 03:42:13 PM »

If someone starts paying me on the weekends I'll show up.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2013, 04:29:02 PM »

If someone starts paying me on the weekends I'll show up.

I'll pay you in compliments. Here's an advance payment:

You're so witty, vamrat! You make me feel so alive!
"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2013, 11:31:07 PM »
Vamrat can go in brick ****-houses and come out smelling like a rose.

Flynn wished he could be in like Vamrat.

Vamrat's anger evaporates at the speed of **** going through a tin horn.

The phrase "ain't that a kick in the head" was coined to describe the impossibility of understanding Vamrat.

Offline Father H

• Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2013, 12:12:33 AM »

No fast on friday?

James

No, I don't think so, more of a holdout from a past practice. A priest told me that it used to be normal but that it's been dying out as we now tend to think in days that run from midnight to midnight rather than the Church days (perhaps more accurately nights and days, but nobody speaks like that any more) that run from sundown to sundown. Apparently its not that unusual, particularly for older people in rural areas (and my wife's region certainly is) in Romania to still go by the Church days, though.

James

Right.  I remember that with Archbishop Vsevolod (memory eternal), if I ate with him on Thursday I was fasting but not on Friday night.  One can see this in the older monstic typika where they are having olive oil after Vespers on Friday night during Great Lent.  Even more recent instructions indicate that fasting begins after Vespers of the preceding afternoon/evening:  “This afternoon we end the eating of cheese, eggs and fish. That is why this Sunday is called Cheese-Fare, i.e. the end of eating or the discontinuance of cheese.”

Offline Cyrillic

• Arbiter Elegantiarum
  • Merarches
  • We must go back!
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2013, 11:10:12 AM »
It's Friday and we're still here.
We are the hollow men
We are the stuffed men
Leaning together
Headpiece filled with straw. Alas!
-T.S. Eliot

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2013, 12:55:06 PM »
It's Friday and we're still here.

The posting volume has gone down significantly. Almost zero. Below zero, in fact.

Offline elephant

• High Elder
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2013, 02:15:04 PM »
Bucking the trend...

Love, elephant