OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 10:03:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Doxa si O Theos imon, Doxa si!"  (Read 656 times) Average Rating: 0
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« on: April 10, 2013, 03:07:31 PM »

The opening doxological exclamation, said before the "O Heavenly King" and the set of "trisagion prayers," to my knowledge is "Glory to Thee (You), our God, glory to Thee (You)."

However I've repeatedly heard in Greek churches, "Glory to You, O Christ our God and our Hope, glory to you." I've also seen this in Korean Orthodox prayer books.

What's the deal with this?

Note: I'm aware that after the psalms are read in certain services, we say "Glory to Thee our God and our Hope, glory to Thee." I'm just not familiar with the practices of added "our hope" or "Christ our God" to the opening prayer of the trisagion prayers.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 11:15:10 AM »

"Glory to Thee, O Christ God and our Hope." occurs at the dismissal sequence for Vespers (when not part of a vigil), Matins(when separate from the Liturgy), and the Divine Liturgy. It never happens before the trisagion, or at other times except the dismissal. The addition of "and our hope" to the Glory to thee, our God, Glory to thee is incorrect, at least in the Russian practice. I have not seen this in the Greek horologia as well. Check the Antiochian liturgical books, but it will most likely not be there.
samkim
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 01:12:53 PM »

I had no doubt that it was incorrect. However, they do add it at the local Greek parish, and even print it in their liturgy books.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: