OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 01:28:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two of the largest eparchies of the UAOC join the UOC-KP  (Read 1873 times) Average Rating: 0
cossack 316

Faith: Ukrainian orthodox Church

« on: April 10, 2013, 09:44:45 AM »

http://risu.org.ua/en/index/all_news/confessional/orthodox_relations/51870/

the link below is in Ukrainian. So far I have been unable to find one in English for the Khmetysk eparchy.

http://uaoc.info/index.php/generalnews/144-zvernennya000

However I can tell you the the UAOC as the 3rd largest Orthodox jurisdiction (behind the UOCKP and UOCMP) is concentrated mainly in western Ukraine and that the Lviv Eparchy is the largest in terms of churches, clergy, and followers. The uniting of the two jurisdictions (UAOC and UOCKP) has been cited as one of the main tasks to receive cannonical recognition from the rest of the non-Moscow Orthodox cannonical world.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 09:50:52 AM »

The uniting of the two jurisdictions (UAOC and UOCKP) has been cited as one of the main tasks to receive cannonical recognition from the rest of the non-Moscow Orthodox cannonical world.

Says who?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 09:56:52 AM »

Says everyone.  It's all over the Web.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 10:04:30 AM »

I'm not talking about some Ukrainian gossips or RISU "news". I'm talking about statements by (canonical) Orthodox hierarchs.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
cossack 316

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 10:09:59 AM »

Michal,

Why are you so threatened by the prospect of an independent Ukrainian Orthodox church? As for open statements by cannonical Orthodox heads, I have read in the past that Pat Bartholomew has openly stated that if the UAOC and UOCKP were united that would be overcoming one of the major obstacles to obtaining canonical recognition. of course the Russian church would never accept that and as for the heads of other Orthodox churches, I have heard nor read anything on the topic one way or another.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 10:19:12 AM »

I'm not talking about some Ukrainian gossips or RISU "news". I'm talking about statements by (canonical) Orthodox hierarchs.

So, news directly from the UAOC wouldn't be believed, until someone outside of the UAOC confirmed it?  How's that work?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 10:27:24 AM »

So, news directly from the UAOC wouldn't be believed, until someone outside of the UAOC confirmed it?  How's that work?

I think our esteemed Belorussian friend was referring to the canonical recognition part of cossack's statement.

The uniting of the two jurisdictions (UAOC and UOCKP) has been cited as one of the main tasks to receive cannonical recognition from the rest of the non-Moscow Orthodox cannonical world.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 10:29:08 AM »

Oh.  I see.

Well, it does make sense that if the various Churches unite, they have a better chance of gaining canonicity.

—St. Isaac of Syria
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 10:39:39 AM »

the link below is in Ukrainian. So far I have been unable to find one in English for the Khmetysk eparchy.

However I can tell you the the UAOC as the 3rd largest Orthodox jurisdiction (behind the UOCKP and UOCMP) is concentrated mainly in western Ukraine and that the Lviv Eparchy is the largest in terms of churches, clergy, and followers. The uniting of the two jurisdictions (UAOC and UOCKP) has been cited as one of the main tasks to receive cannonical recognition from the rest of the non-Moscow Orthodox cannonical world.
heaping schisms on top of one another never makes a critical mass for canonicity.  Never has.  Never will.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:40:32 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 10:44:08 AM »

heaping schisms on top of one another never makes a critical mass for canonicity.  Never has.  Never will.

You mean acceptance by all?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
cossack 316

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 10:47:30 AM »

So Ialmisry, what makes a church canonical. My understanding is that it has to be accepted into the brotherhood of other churches. Nothing about the UOCKP or UAOC for that matter in terms of practices, rites, beliefs, or sacraments are uncanonical. it seems that the split from the Russian church without permission from the other orthodox churches is the canonical issue. So please tell me =, according to you what makes the Ukrainian church uncanonical.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 10:55:40 AM »

One could argue, and I know you disagree, that the myriad schisms which tore through the Russian mission after the Revolution in America prevented mutual recognition of canonicity and concelebrations on a fairly regular basis (I am old enough to remember those days I remind you) until a period of relative stability was reached around the late 1960s. Now, I know that the recognition of the OCA's autocephaly is another matter but...
cossack 316

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 11:00:37 AM »

В єдності сила народу, Боже нам єдність подай.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 11:02:21 AM »

Why are you so threatened by the prospect of an independent Ukrainian Orthodox church?

I'm not threatened. I only make the difference between facts and fairy tales.

I have read in the past that Pat Bartholomew has openly stated that if the UAOC and UOCKP were united that would be overcoming one of the major obstacles to obtaining canonical recognition.

So why won't you share it?

as for the heads of other Orthodox churches, I have heard nor read anything on the topic one way or another.

So you lied there:

has been cited as one of the main tasks to receive cannonical recognition from the rest of the non-Moscow Orthodox cannonical world

didn't you?

BTW found something for you: https://mospat.ru/en/2012/08/06/news68682/ and it speaks contrarywise.

So, news directly from the UAOC wouldn't be believed, until someone outside of the UAOC confirmed it?  How's that work?

If they are about things not dependent on the UOAC? If they don't give any specific information? Yes.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:15:52 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
cossack 316

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 11:15:41 AM »

Well yeah, you criticize RISU  yet you cite Moscow Patriarchate press? I would never trust anything that comes out out Russia regarding the Ukrainian church. Michal don't call me a liar. You just have your head up so far up your own Ukrainian hating ^*(&( that you are blind to the truth. With that I am done on this thread as Michal you are a waste of my time and I need to get back to work.
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 11:59:07 AM »

Michal,

Why are you so threatened by the prospect of an independent Ukrainian Orthodox church? As for open statements by cannonical Orthodox heads, I have read in the past that Pat Bartholomew has openly stated that if the UAOC and UOCKP were united that would be overcoming one of the major obstacles to obtaining canonical recognition. of course the Russian church would never accept that and as for the heads of other Orthodox churches, I have heard nor read anything on the topic one way or another.
They, like the EP, will not go against the MoP. There was a dry run on Estonia.  The results do not augur well for the "UOCKP"

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 12:08:28 PM »

God grant it! Under a autocephalous Patriarch Volodymyr, or his successor.

sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 12:12:49 PM »

This is what Google translate is giving me. Anyone want to make sense of this for me?
In єdnostі force people God we Yednist filed.

cossack 316

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 12:15:02 PM »

This is what Google translate is giving me. Anyone want to make sense of this for me?

In unity there is strength, God give us unity
cossack 316

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 12:16:24 PM »

Why do you advocate that the Ukrainian church only be a part of Moscow as Met Volodymyr's church is a branch of the Russian Orthodox Church, in theory autonomous but in reality simply an extension of the ROC.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2013, 12:17:46 PM »

You mean acceptance by all?
Malformed autocephalies like the "Kiev Patriarchate" and the "Ukrainian Autocephalous Church" tend to die out, while those destined to succeed begin with at least unofficial support, and end up with universal official support and recognition.  I can't think of a single exception.

sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2013, 12:20:12 PM »

Thank you. The mods here can be pretty strict about requiring translations when you're not posting in a foreign language board, just FYI.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2013, 12:22:12 PM »

Why do you advocate that the Ukrainian church only be a part of Moscow

You should brush up on your definitions.
Autocephaly (literally "self-headed") is the status of a church within the Orthodox Church whose primatial bishop does not report to any higher-ranking bishop. When an ecumenical council or a high-ranking bishop, such as a patriarch or other primate, releases an ecclesiastical province from the authority of that bishop while the newly independent church remains in full communion with the hierarchy to which it then ceases to belong, the council or primate is granting autocephaly.
http://orthodoxwiki.org/Autocephaly

as Met Volodymyr's church is a branch of the Russian Orthodox Church, in theory autonomous but in reality simply an extension of the ROC.
The Sacred Canons.

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2013, 12:24:51 PM »

So Ialmisry, what makes a church canonical. My understanding is that it has to be accepted into the brotherhood of other churches. Nothing about the UOCKP or UAOC for that matter in terms of practices, rites, beliefs, or sacraments are uncanonical.
just their schism.
it seems that the split from the Russian church without permission from the other orthodox churches is the canonical issue. So please tell me =, according to you what makes the Ukrainian church uncanonical.
The Ukrainian Orthodox Church isn't uncanonical.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 02:57:52 PM »

Well yeah, you criticize RISU  

Yes, it publishes false information.

yet you cite Moscow Patriarchate press?

It's definitely known who what when said. You can contact those bishops and ask them whether their words were falsified.

Michal don't call me a liar.

You lied.

You just have your head up so far up your own Ukrainian hating

Asking for proofs is not Ukrainian hating.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:59:12 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2013, 04:21:27 PM »

Frankly those of us who are not Ukrainian ought to allow the Ukrainian Orthodox Church and her people to work their problems out with canonical Orthodoxy. How the heck can we from the USA argue against Ukrainian autocephaly with a straight face while pining for our own unified autocephaly and being free from foreign domination? This whole national church and territory problem continues to plague Orthodoxy and weaken her to her adversaries. Ukrainians are not Russians. Why do you think the UGCC is so steadfastly "in your face" and a thorn in Moscow's side?
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2013, 04:36:30 PM »

No one in this thread has argued against the autocephaly of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.

It's indifferent for me. I wouldn't mind autocephalous Ukrainian Church. I don't mind present situation of her. All I am concerned is that I think both sides should not use false or imagined arguments in discussion.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2013, 05:11:04 PM »

Frankly those of us who are not Ukrainian ought to allow the Ukrainian Orthodox Church and her people to work their problems out with canonical Orthodoxy. How the heck can we from the USA argue against Ukrainian autocephaly with a straight face while pining for our own unified autocephaly and being free from foreign domination? This whole national church and territory problem continues to plague Orthodoxy and weaken her to her adversaries. Ukrainians are not Russians. Why do you think the UGCC is so steadfastly "in your face" and a thorn in Moscow's side?
Because some things never change-the Supreme Pontiff of Florence sent Isidore the Apostate to Moscow, not Kiev.  And who set up the hierarchy of the "Russian Catholic Church" as soon as the Czar fell? Met. Sheptytsky, founder of the UGCC as we know it.

Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 06:40:49 PM »

We are so stuck on models that were developed for reasons of state that we cannot see a simple solution. Let's look past the Roman, Ottoman, Russian Empire models, as well as the nation/state models that came about in the 19th Century. Let's look back to the Holy Scriptures and to the Apostolic Church instead. What we have is the Great Commission that tells us to bring into Christ's Body all nations, as well as city-churches that were ontologically complete (Ruling bishop surrounded by his priests, deacons and laity). You go forward in time a bit and in the Apostolic Canon 34 we see the principle of how to get organized beyond the city-church level (today's equivalent being a diocese). You have a Metropolitan or senior bishop, a primate (first among equals) whose job is to make sure that unanimity of the ruling bishops is required to change anything affecting all dioceses.

Applying this concept to the Ukraine, you could have two local churches, one composed of the dioceses that want to be part of an autocephalous church and another one composed of dioceses that want to be part of the ROC (Krasnodar comes to mind). You could even have a national coordinating body composed of members of the Holy Synod of the presumably autocephalous Ukrainian Church and of the presumably autonomous Ukrainian Church-ROC. Since the basic governing principle is unanimity, it would not make a difference who chairs this coordinating body--they could take turns. Of course, this approach would not work at all if the respective churches see themselves as primarily Russians or Ukrainians, or if they become entangled with the respective states. Nonetheless, this is the only approach consistent with the Great Commission.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 06:41:32 PM by Carl Kraeff (Second Chance) » Logged

Gorazd
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: The Ecumenical Patriarchate of Istanbul and Chambésy

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2013, 07:11:48 PM »

Cant they just all come together and become one autocephalous Church? Moscow could maintain Patriarchal Parishes in Ukraine, just as they do in the U, S and A. Met. Agafangel of Odesa could become Patriarchal Administrator.

Anyway, I do think if UAOC and UOC-KP come together, there would be one schism less and a stronger negociation position for autocephaly.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 07:19:24 PM »

Anyway, I do think if UAOC and UOC-KP come together, there would be one schism less and a stronger negociation position for autocephaly.

As we see, they show no signs of coming together but they fight with each other instead.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 07:33:38 PM »

Everyone is fighting with each other.  Grin

I'm all for it. At least it is a step in the right direction.

Instead of complaining about it, those who "care" about the souls of Ukrainians ought to pray that it is true, that it will be successful and that only good will come of it.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 07:33:59 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 07:37:12 PM »

I'm all for it. At least it is a step in the right direction.

Instead of complaining about it, those who "care" about the souls of Ukrainians ought to pray that it is true, that it will be successful and that only good will come of it.

Why don't you like the UAOC that you are happy of it getting fractured?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 07:59:41 PM »

I hope it leads to good. I just don't know whether is good or bad, so given the choice I will hope and pray it is for the good.

—St. Isaac of Syria
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2013, 03:42:35 PM »

Please keep in mind that it is a rule of this Forum that anyone posting in foreign languages MUST follow it up with a translation in English, either personally translated or via an online translation such as Google Translate.  Please make sure to do this in the future

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2013, 05:23:01 PM »

It is never good to sit back and look at churches that share the same faith be separate over nationalistic differences.  Whenever there are two churches that share the same faith, all efforts must be towards unification, no matter the history or canonical tradition.  Oneness of faith trumps all.  Think of how the Church fathers worked hard in healing the Meletian schism.  This is the example we should follow.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2013, 05:26:43 PM »

It is never good to sit back and look at churches that share the same faith be separate over nationalistic differences.

There are no nationalistic differences between the UAOC and KP. Just money and some personal issues.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2013, 05:29:30 PM »

It is never good to sit back and look at churches that share the same faith be separate over nationalistic differences.

There are no nationalistic differences between the UAOC and KP. Just money and some personal issues.
I just don't understand why is it necessary for heirarchs to claim patriarchal superiority over a diocese.  If that diocese wants its own patriarchate, so be it.  I think there needs to be humility more than anything else.  There was never a "patriarchate" system in the pre-imperial Church.  The Ignatian ecclesiology dictates where there's a bishop, there's the Catholic Church.  Otherwise, we're creating "mini-papisms" that cause endless strife for no reason.

Truly sad.

I speak also on account of what I've seen happen in the OO Churches as well.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 05:30:32 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2013, 06:47:09 AM »

The Mother Church of Ukraine is Constantinople. I do not see why autocephaly should come from Moscow. In practice however, if Constantinople were to grant autocephaly to Ukraine, that would not be recognised by Moscow, and maybe some other local churches such as Serbia.

I guess, we could expect an Estonian / Moldovan situation during the next years, rather than autocephaly...
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2013, 08:58:26 AM »

"Mother" Church would be the originator of the Faith in that land.

Ukraine (Rus) received Orthodoxy from Constantinople.

Ergo Constantinople is the Mother Church, not Moscow.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2013, 08:40:25 AM »

"Mother" Church would be the originator of the Faith in that land.

Ukraine (Rus) received Orthodoxy from Constantinople.

Ergo Constantinople is the Mother Church, not Moscow.

While that is true, was not Ukraine part of the Moscow Patriarchate when Constantinople recognized her autocephaly?

Gorazd
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2013, 09:15:33 AM »

While that is true, was not Ukraine part of the Moscow Patriarchate when Constantinople recognized her autocephaly?

No. Actually most of what is now Ukraine, including Kyiv, belonged to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth back then.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2013, 01:37:13 PM »

No. Actually most of what is now Ukraine, including Kyiv, belonged to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth back then.
No, recognition by the EP of Moscow's autocephaly and elevation as a patriarchate was done in exchange with Moscow's recognition of the transfer of jurisdiction over the Commonwealth back to Constantinople.

Met. St. Jonas, the first autocephalous Metropolitan of Kiev and All Rus', consecrated in Moscow, was recognized by the King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania as primate of the Orthodox in their domain in 1451, the bishops and Orthodox (including the Lithuanian Orthodox prince of Kiev) having recognized him before.

Totally unrelated, I came across a youtube on the autocephaly of Georgia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9HGh3Aosg0

ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2013, 01:55:19 PM »

The Mother Church of Ukraine is Constantinople. I do not see why autocephaly should come from Moscow.
Because, being the heir of Met. St. Jonas of Kiev and All Rus', the successor of St. Michael first bishop of Kiev, and thus the Mother Church, it has jurisdiction.

In practice however, if Constantinople were to grant autocephaly to Ukraine, that would not be recognised by Moscow, and maybe some other local churches such as Serbia
oh, I think there would be more to it than that: we'll get that "Great and Holy Council" to haul the Phanar before it to explain itself interfering in another patriarchate.
I guess, we could expect an Estonian / Moldovan situation during the next years, rather than autocephaly...
Moscow will do more than strike the EP from the diptychs.

Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2013, 03:46:09 PM »

I have a feeling that I am about to say something foolish in the eyes of many (perhaps rightfully so). Are you implying that when Costantinople recognized the autocephaly of the Russian Orthodox Church in the 16th Century, there was an entity in Ukraine under Constantinople?  Please correct then the following narrative from Wikipedia:

"The Kievan church was originally a Metropolitanate of the Patriarchate of Constantinople and the Byzantine patriarch appointed the metropolitan who governed the Church of Rus'. The Metropolitan's residence was originally located in Kiev. As Kiev was losing its political, cultural, and economical significance due to the Mongol invasion, Metropolitan Maximus moved to Vladimir in 1299; his successor, Metropolitan Peter moved the residence to Moscow in 1325.
In 1448, the Patriarchate of Moscow (the Russian Church) became independent from the Patriarchate of Constantinople. Metropolitan Jonas, installed by the Council of Russian bishops in 1448, was given the title of Metropolitan of Moscow and All Russia. This was just five years before the fall of Constantinople in 1453. From this point onward the Russian Orthodox Church saw Moscow as the Third Rome, legitimate successor to Constantinople, and the Primate of Moscow as head of the Russian Orthodox Church.
During the reign of Tsar Fyodor I his brother-in-law Boris Godunov contacted the Ecumenical Patriarch, who "was much embarrassed for want of funds,"[14] with a view to establishing a patriarchal see in Moscow. As a result of Godunov's efforts, Metropolitan Job of Moscow became in 1589 the first Patriarch of Moscow and All Rus', making the Russian Church autocephalous."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Orthodox_Church#History

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: