OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 12:42:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Translation and copyright  (Read 938 times) Average Rating: 0
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« on: April 09, 2013, 10:54:01 PM »

Please forgive my ignorance...I was thinking of translating some articles or fragments of books from Serbian to English, which otherwise cannot be found in English. I was wondering what is you policy regarding me posting those translations here? Do you allow it or are there copyright issues involved? Thanks. The first work I was thinking of translating would be by St. Justin Popovic. The only two of his works translated in English would be Man and the God-Man (Found on amazon) and Commentary on the Epistles of St. John the Theologian (Amazon as well). Thanks!
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 09:39:08 PM »

I am surprised that there is no response from the higher ups.  It was my belief that such translations exclusively shown at OC.net would benefit all Orthodox...I hoped that others would join as well and have rare and unique translations from different languages...Anyhow...Too bad.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 12:14:33 AM »

I am going to guess it is not a lack of interest in the works of Serbian Orthodox, but not knowing applicable copyright law.
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 12:20:43 AM »

^Maybe so...and it is not just Serbian I was referring to...I was hoping that others (those knowing other languages) would translate articles or inserts from the books into English...the work which otherwise we can't read unless we know that language.
LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 02:48:47 AM »

Please forgive my ignorance...I was thinking of translating some articles or fragments of books from Serbian to English, which otherwise cannot be found in English. I was wondering what is you policy regarding me posting those translations here? Do you allow it or are there copyright issues involved? Thanks. The first work I was thinking of translating would be by St. Justin Popovic. The only two of his works translated in English would be Man and the God-Man (Found on amazon) and Commentary on the Epistles of St. John the Theologian (Amazon as well). Thanks!

I've sent your question to a priest I know who translates and publishes Orthodox books and materials.  Smiley
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 03:34:13 PM »

OC.NET has had articles submitted before, but those had much more...stringent requirements in terms of academic standards. 

if you would like to contribute your translations to a blog or website & then link to it here in the Reviews Board or something like that, we can have that discussion for sure, but there is a rule on linking to personal blogs, etc. that you should definitely be aware of:  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=rules

* No Forum Plugging -- You shall not have banners in signatures to other forums, or advertise your other web forum on our forum, or private message others to solicit them to join your forum.  You may link to another forum or website in your signature (without comment), and you may post links to threads on other forums, as long as they are pertinent to discussions here.

* Links -- Posters are not permitted to post links to websites designed for the commercial purposes of selling without explicit permission from an administrator.  Other activities that require explicit administrator approval are as follows: advertising, soliciting donations for any purpose, soliciting votes to help an individual or organization win a cash prize, and soliciting signatures on a petition. This is not an exhaustive list, so our admins have the authority to add to this list at any time.  Permission to post any of the aforementioned links can be obtained by sending a pm to Fr. George. Offending posts will be immediately deleted.  Posting of a link to any website not related to the ongoing thread discussion is not allowed.  If it is the first topic in the thread, or if the link IS relevant to the conversation at hand, it is required that the poster post a paragraph of text from the article in question into the thread.  The poster can then include a DIRECT link to the article in that post, below the paragraph of text.

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 03:35:09 PM »

Oh, one more thing, there have been some personal translations done in the Foreign Language Boards, including Serbian.  That is definitely an area that we can have a discussion as to translation of certain texts, etc. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 02:36:32 AM »

Thank you both for your time and attention.  I had in my mind some small aricles...it's not a big deal. It just made me realize how little Orthodox material has been translated from various languages. Language is a big barrier in getting to know some beautiful texts. I thought of providing a tiny help towards dealing with that issue. I know for a fact that much work by most prominent English speaking Orthodox theologians such as Frs. - MK was here Rose, Schmemann,etc have been translated in Serbian and some other languages. Perhaps i should have worked in a publishing business . I will have to think about this...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 06:50:50 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 05:56:28 PM »

OC.NET has had articles submitted before, but those had much more...stringent requirements in terms of academic standards. 

if you would like to contribute your translations to a blog or website & then link to it here in the Reviews Board or something like that, we can have that discussion for sure, but there is a rule on linking to personal blogs, etc. that you should definitely be aware of:  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=rules

* No Forum Plugging -- You shall not have banners in signatures to other forums, or advertise your other web forum on our forum, or private message others to solicit them to join your forum.  You may link to another forum or website in your signature (without comment), and you may post links to threads on other forums, as long as they are pertinent to discussions here.

* Links -- Posters are not permitted to post links to websites designed for the commercial purposes of selling without explicit permission from an administrator.  Other activities that require explicit administrator approval are as follows: advertising, soliciting donations for any purpose, soliciting votes to help an individual or organization win a cash prize, and soliciting signatures on a petition. This is not an exhaustive list, so our admins have the authority to add to this list at any time.  Permission to post any of the aforementioned links can be obtained by sending a pm to Fr. George. Offending posts will be immediately deleted.  Posting of a link to any website not related to the ongoing thread discussion is not allowed.  If it is the first topic in the thread, or if the link IS relevant to the conversation at hand, it is required that the poster post a paragraph of text from the article in question into the thread.  The poster can then include a DIRECT link to the article in that post, below the paragraph of text.

Update: very likely I will create a blog dedicated to mainly translating the works from original Serbian language in English and it will include mainly the works of the deceased individuals so there shouldn't be any copyright issues...as well as of other works which original authors have allowed to be used without copyright issues.  The intention of the blog will mainly educational and spiritual and no profit will be made whatsoever...It is my hope that by making these rare translations available to English speaking audience (or texts which are not translated in English whatsoever), it will help in spreading Orthdoxy. All translations will be done by me. Just FYI I have been doing translations of thelogical documents before...and have some academic backround in the field which has overlapped with Theology...I am not saying that I am an expert, but believe to be qualified enough to perform such a task...I don't want give more details about myself  because I wish to remain anonymous...

I will then do as you mention: link translated articles that deal with already opened topics and will also open a topic of my own (perhaps on the "other topics"subforum or if you wish on adifferent subforum...) in order to inform posters whenever a new article has been translated...

Thanks for your suggestion. I will do so.

@ LBK - I am still interested in getting the info from the priest. Please send me a PM when you receive his reply. Much appreciated.

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 07:10:24 PM »

In general there is no possible problem with anything published in the lifetime of someone who died before 1925; after that, it can get complicated.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 07:54:38 PM »

@ LBK - I am still interested in getting the info from the priest. Please send me a PM when you receive his reply. Much appreciated.

I'll definitely pass on any info I receive from him.  Smiley

Another piece of advice: Before starting your blog, talk to your priest about your project first, and get his blessing. Better still, from your bishop.
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 08:33:35 PM »

In general there is no possible problem with anything published in the lifetime of someone who died before 1925; after that, it can get complicated.

Wikipedia says for Serbia life+70 which would be 1943...would it not? I know wikipedia is not the most realible source...
2013-70=1943
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 08:41:42 PM »

I'll definitely pass on any info I receive from him.  Smiley

Another piece of advice: Before starting your blog, talk to your priest about your project first, and get his blessing. Better still, from your bishop.

Thanks.  I am guessing the rules might not be as strick since the translation are not getting published nor is there any monetary gain involved...I wouldn't be surprised if just citing the source (ie. author and the title of the books if it is a part of the book, or website link if online, or the name of the magazine...) would be sufficient especially since the length of each work will not be substantial...

I have posted the same question on a Serbian Orthodox forum to see wha they say about it as well.

I do not wish to involve my priest nor Bishop for two reasons: 1) wish to remain anonymous 2) I do not wish to publish it, nor does it represent an "official" translation (nor official blog of a parish...) of the texts approved by the Orthodox church (Synod, Bishop or priest)...it would be too messy...
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 11:41:51 PM »

I'll definitely pass on any info I receive from him.  Smiley

Thanks.  I am guessing the rules might not be as strick since the translation are not getting published nor is there any monetary gain involved...I wouldn't be surprised if just citing the source (ie. author and the title of the books if it is a part of the book, or website link if online, or the name of the magazine...) would be sufficient especially since the length of each work will not be substantial...

I have posted the same question on a Serbian Orthodox forum to see wha they say about it as well.

I do not wish to involve my priest nor Bishop for two reasons: 1) wish to remain anonymous 2) I do not wish to publish it, nor does it represent an "official" translation (nor official blog of a parish...) of the texts approved by the Orthodox church (Synod, Bishop or priest)...it would be too messy...

You're forgetting a crucial detail: Publication no longer means only "in print". It also includes broadcasting and online dissemination. And proceeding without a blessing is NOT a good idea, irrespective of what proportion of the documents are being translated.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 11:42:31 PM by LBK » Logged
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 12:24:06 PM »

I forgot to mention that I already received blessing from my priest and bishop for official translations and in those instances I use my actual name...This blog would be something on the side. It's unebelievable how complicated things can become  Shocked  Smiley Cheers!
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2013, 12:46:20 PM »

I forgot to mention that I already received blessing from my priest and bishop for official translations and in those instances I use my actual name...This blog would be something on the side. It's unebelievable how complicated things can become  Shocked  Smiley Cheers!

The answer to all questions on OC.net is "ask your priest". I guess that having asked a bishop is even better.

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »

The answer to all questions on OC.net is "ask your priest". I guess that having asked a bishop is even better.

Ah yes my friend.  But did he ask his bishop/priest if he can post them online on OC.net?!  I think not sir!! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 03:07:15 PM »

Ah yes my friend.  But did he ask his bishop/priest if he can post them online on OC.net?!  I think not sir!! 

The documents which I was planing to post here would not be those which were done before (for a magazine or church website) but would be translation of different document (which I have not done before) and I would make primarily for the blog and I would not copyright them.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 05:08:04 PM »

What for?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Putnik Namernik
Elder

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 06:02:06 PM »

Anyway, I would like to thank all of you for your help. I will postpone making the blog until I gather some more information. In the meantime I will shift more of my time and attention towards the "projects" on which I am currently working...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: