OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 02:14:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dr. Frank Schaeffer  (Read 542 times) Average Rating: 0
ReturnOrthodoxy

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Alexandria

« on: April 09, 2013, 04:35:01 PM »

Does anybody know whats going on with Franky? He had some excellent Apologetics of Orthodoxy, and now I think hes being a little weird.

Anybody willing to chime in?

RO

Pre-Passion: Let's eat, Jesus!
Post-Passion: Let's eat Jesus!
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 05:13:27 PM »

There's already been some discussion on him.

Take a look here:  http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,49573.0.html

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 12:59:25 AM »

Does anybody know whats going on with Franky? He had some excellent Apologetics of Orthodoxy, and now I think hes being a little weird.

RO

Why do you call him Franky? What is wrong with Frank?

livefreeordie
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 11:06:56 AM »

RO

Not sure if this is why he calls him Franky, but in all of his early works he went by Franky Schaeffer.  I have friends who followed him then and they still refer to him as Franky because of it.
ReturnOrthodoxy

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 12:13:24 PM »

RO

Not sure if this is why he calls him Franky, but in all of his early works he went by Franky Schaeffer.  I have friends who followed him then and they still refer to him as Franky because of it.

Exactly. I believe Franky was the name he used for some of his works.

Pre-Passion: Let's eat, Jesus!
Post-Passion: Let's eat Jesus!
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 01:01:17 PM »

RO

I think this was discussed here before. It was a way of differentiating him from his father. A name he did not protest the use of and perhaps used himself.

I remember you being put off by the usage another time. I don't know anything about Frank other than what I've read in the threads about him here.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:01:49 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 12:37:18 AM »

RO

I think this was discussed here before. It was a way of differentiating him from his father. A name he did not protest the use of and perhaps used himself.

I remember you being put off by the usage another time. I don't know anything about Frank other than what I've read in the threads about him here.

I haven't  investigated this completely. I ask the question because it indicates the web articles they are getting their information from.

What I do know is that almost every article that uses the term "Franky", it is used in a pejorative sense. In the 1990s it was from the Roman Catholics, in the 2000's it was initially the pro-abortion people and later the evangelicals which has continued to this day. The far left dislike him more, but use the name Frank.

I have not seen Frank Schaeffer use "Franky" as his name for the past 20 years (I have not gone back further).

I think it is disrespectful to put a y or ie after a person's name if you do not know them personally.

I got interested in him back in 2003 because he seemed to be an Orthodox Neocon.

I hope that clarifies my comment.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: