OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 08:04:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hope (Resurrection, Heaven, etc), Book suggestions to accompany Wright  (Read 435 times) Average Rating: 0
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« on: April 08, 2013, 12:54:55 PM »

Lately I've decided to read and discuss more books in my Protestant church, someone picked Surprised by Hope by NT Wright.  I'll be reading this and discussing it this coming May.  I was hoping someone here perhaps can recommend a book, homilies, etc from the Orthodox / Patristic trad. to read alongside this popular Anglican writer. 

Any ideas?
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 05:38:21 PM »

Surprised by Hope by NT Wright.

The best book by far that I have found on the resurrection. As regards Orthodox books, I'm hardly the person to advise!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:38:32 PM by David Young » Logged

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 08:27:09 PM »

As far as the ressurection is concerned, his "Ressurection of the son of God" is an invaluable resource for anyone wanting to defend the Christian conception of ressurection, IE physical/spiritual, not platonic non physical soul existence.

Thank you.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 12:34:08 AM »

St. Irenaeus of Lyons Against Heresies.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:34:17 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 10:25:43 AM »

Oh, behave!  Grin

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 11:28:10 AM »

Oh, behave!  Grin
I didn't mean it that way!

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 11:59:50 AM »

Lately I've decided to read and discuss more books in my Protestant church, someone picked Surprised by Hope by NT Wright.  I'll be reading this and discussing it this coming May.  I was hoping someone here perhaps can recommend a book, homilies, etc from the Orthodox / Patristic trad. to read alongside this popular Anglican writer. 

Any ideas?

First Created Man by St. Symeon the New Theologian. This is a slim, easy-to-read volume consisting of homilies by St. Symeon relating to the creation of man, the first paradise, and also touching on the new paradise and resurrection.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 11:52:01 AM »

Any ideas?

First Created Man by St. Symeon the New Theologian. This is a slim, easy-to-read volume consisting of homilies by St. Symeon relating to the creation of man, the first paradise, and also touching on the new paradise and resurrection.

I read this book over Christmas, it was the one decent used Orthodox book I found at Powell's Books in Portland.

I ended up not reading the Wright book because I couldn't find a decent affordable copy used and have been quite busy with finishing up the school year.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: