Author Topic: Hope (Resurrection, Heaven, etc), Book suggestions to accompany Wright  (Read 508 times)

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
Lately I've decided to read and discuss more books in my Protestant church, someone picked Surprised by Hope by NT Wright.  I'll be reading this and discussing it this coming May.  I was hoping someone here perhaps can recommend a book, homilies, etc from the Orthodox / Patristic trad. to read alongside this popular Anglican writer. 

Any ideas?

Offline David Young

• OC.net guru
  • 2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr
Surprised by Hope by NT Wright.

The best book by far that I have found on the resurrection. As regards Orthodox books, I'm hardly the person to advise!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:38:32 PM by David Young »
"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15

Offline Nicene

• High Elder
As far as the ressurection is concerned, his "Ressurection of the son of God" is an invaluable resource for anyone wanting to defend the Christian conception of ressurection, IE physical/spiritual, not platonic non physical soul existence.
Thank you.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™
St. Irenaeus of Lyons Against Heresies.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 12:34:17 AM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

Πλούσιοι επτώχευσαν και επείνασαν
Οιδε εκζητούντες τον Κύριον
Ουκ ελαττωθήσονται παντός αγαθού

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos

Oh, behave!  ;D
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • Nepsis or Sepsis™

Oh, behave!  ;D
I didn't mean it that way!
Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

Πλούσιοι επτώχευσαν και επείνασαν
Οιδε εκζητούντες τον Κύριον
Ουκ ελαττωθήσονται παντός αγαθού

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Taxiarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Lately I've decided to read and discuss more books in my Protestant church, someone picked Surprised by Hope by NT Wright.  I'll be reading this and discussing it this coming May.  I was hoping someone here perhaps can recommend a book, homilies, etc from the Orthodox / Patristic trad. to read alongside this popular Anglican writer. 

Any ideas?

First Created Man by St. Symeon the New Theologian. This is a slim, easy-to-read volume consisting of homilies by St. Symeon relating to the creation of man, the first paradise, and also touching on the new paradise and resurrection.
"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder

Any ideas?

First Created Man by St. Symeon the New Theologian. This is a slim, easy-to-read volume consisting of homilies by St. Symeon relating to the creation of man, the first paradise, and also touching on the new paradise and resurrection.

I read this book over Christmas, it was the one decent used Orthodox book I found at Powell's Books in Portland.

I ended up not reading the Wright book because I couldn't find a decent affordable copy used and have been quite busy with finishing up the school year.