OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 08:29:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: vesting rubrics for russian orthodox  (Read 467 times) Average Rating: 0
haydukovich

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: The Whole World

« on: April 08, 2013, 02:16:05 AM »

I went to OCA vespers services and the priest took off his phelonion several times during vespers SAT NIGHT

I have never seen this before - he explained that it was a russian orthodox rubric

Can anyone tell me if Serbian Orthodox do the same?
Greek 

Vesting and unvesting during Vespers?Huh

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 06:26:30 AM »

AFAI see only main celebrant if dressed on Vigil unless priests leave the altar area for polyeleos.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 02:14:41 PM »

I went to OCA vespers services and the priest took off his phelonion several times during vespers SAT NIGHT

I have never seen this before - he explained that it was a russian orthodox rubric

Greek 

It's that way in ACROD so I am surprised that rubric isn't found in the Ruthenian BCC.  Perhaps Deacon Lance help us out on this question.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 02:40:08 PM »

Greek 

I think what you are seeing is the common vesting procedure when serving a Vigil. It seems to be a common practice amongst some of the clergy in the OCA to serve Great Vespers as if it is part of the Vigil service, even when it is not being done as part of the Vigil service.

Anyways...

The priest starts off wearing the Epitrichilion and Phelonion - for the great censing of the church (properly done before the service starts)
After the "Blessed is our God..." the Phelonion would be taken off.
The Phelonion would then be put back on before the little entrance is made.
The Phelonion is then removed after the Aposticha.

I have seen the Phelonion put back on for the dismissal hymns, but that is unusual. In the Vigil the Phelonion would not be put back on until the Polyeleos, then after the Gospel reading the Phelonion would not be put back on until the Great Doxology.

When liturgy is celebrated with the Vigil (as is proper in serving a complete vigil) the complete vesting takes place during the singing of the canon. Even then the phelonion is not usually put on until before the Great Doxology.

When Great Vespers is served by itself there is no Great Censing prior to the service starting, so the priest should begin the service in only his Epitrichilion.

Joseph
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 09:26:08 AM »

Greek  

I think what you are seeing is the common vesting procedure when serving a Vigil. It seems to be a common practice amongst some of the clergy in the OCA to serve Great Vespers as if it is part of the Vigil service, even when it is not being done as part of the Vigil service.

Anyways...

The priest starts off wearing the Epitrichilion and Phelonion - for the great censing of the church (properly done before the service starts)
After the "Blessed is our God..." the Phelonion would be taken off.
The Phelonion would then be put back on before the little entrance is made.
The Phelonion is then removed after the Aposticha.

I have seen the Phelonion put back on for the dismissal hymns, but that is unusual. In the Vigil the Phelonion would not be put back on until the Polyeleos, then after the Gospel reading the Phelonion would not be put back on until the Great Doxology.

When liturgy is celebrated with the Vigil (as is proper in serving a complete vigil) the complete vesting takes place during the singing of the canon. Even then the phelonion is not usually put on until before the Great Doxology.

When Great Vespers is served by itself there is no Great Censing prior to the service starting, so the priest should begin the service in only his Epitrichilion.

Thanks. This is consistent with my experiences with vespers in ACROD practice.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:26:31 AM by podkarpatska » Logged
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 06:55:39 PM »

According to the Ruthenian Ordo at Great Vespers (without Vigil) the priest vests in the phelon at the last stichera of the Lamplighting Psalms and it remains on for the rest of the service.  In practice, some priests will remove it during the Litany of Supplication and revest in it during the troparia.  I don't know why nor do I see the purpose in it.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 06:57:30 PM by Deacon Lance » Logged

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 06:58:58 PM »

According to the Ruthenian Ordo at Great Vespers (without Vigil) the priest vests in the phelon at the last stichera of the Lamplighting Psalms and it remains on for the rest of the service.  In practice some priests will remove it during the Litany of Supplication and revest in it during the troparia

So those that do not do what I say are Ruthenians and those who do do what I say are Orthodox. Smiley

Joseph
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: