OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 20, 2014, 02:50:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help this Catholic understand Orthodoxy when it comes to divorce and remarriage  (Read 530 times) Average Rating: 0
jwinch2

Faith: Catholic

« on: April 07, 2013, 03:05:22 PM »

I suspect this has been asked many times over, regarding an explanation of the teachings of Orthodoxy on marriage, divorce, and remarriage.  Based upon this explanation, the teaching is fairly easy to grasp.  http://www.antiochian.org/1123706833

However, what is not so easy for me to grasp as a Catholic is the justification for this teaching from Sacred Tradition or Sacred Scripture.  I recognize Orthodox Christians don't always use the same terms as we do, but you should be able to get my meaning nonetheless. 

So, any info on how this came to be allowed and what the authoritative justification for it has been, would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance. 

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 03:21:03 PM »

What, specifically?

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
jwinch2

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 03:26:28 PM »

What, specifically?

Sorry if I was not clear.

What is the justification, either from the Bible, or teachings of the Fathers passed down through the Orthodox Church, that Orthodoxy uses to explain her teachings on allowing divorce and remarriage?  Catholics would use the terms Sacred Scripture or Sacred Tradition.  An Orthodox Christian on another forum recommended this website: http://www.orthodoxresearchinstitute.org/articles/liturgics/athenagoras_remarriage.htm, so I am reading through that right now.  From just glancing through it once, it does not appear that there is much justification for divorce and remarriage from the Church Fathers, but rather the concept of economia.  Though, to be fair, it does cite St. Basil as saying that a man cheated on by his wife would be pardoned for remarriage, so I suppose that is something. 

I'm curious what else is out there on the subject. 

Thanks,
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 03:33:26 PM by jwinch2 » Logged
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 03:43:00 PM »

This article may be helpful:

http://www.stgeorgegoc.org/divorceChurchHistory.html

jwinch2

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 03:50:38 PM »

Thank you!
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 04:22:45 PM »

The following is "just" my opinion. It is my honest opinion.

There was probably no divorce among the earliest Christians.

There was probably divorce among early Christians, even as early as the 'Apostolic Age', but no remarriage.

Today, both the OC and the RCC permit divorce and remarriage under economia, the same way that divorce was probably initially introduced. RCC practices divorce under form of annulment, which, by definition, carries no technical limit for (re-)marriage afterwards.

Could be wrong, but that's how the tale reads to me. Not making any dogmatic statements. And certainly not saying divorced and remarried are "unorthodox".
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 04:26:45 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 07:01:12 PM »

Divorce is certainly permitted in certain circumstances, according to Christ Himself:

Matthew 19:9
And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 07:02:00 PM by LBK » Logged
JoeS2
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »

Divorce is certainly permitted in certain circumstances, according to Christ Himself:

And I say to you, whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery.

Annulment - Divorce: samie same....
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 09:03:37 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 07:53:33 AM »

I've seen that some Vatican approved translations have taken to "translating" it as "invalid marriage" or some such nonsense.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Surnaturel

Faith: Roman Catholic

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 01:12:50 AM »

This. I would add that physical abuse also can be a legitimate reason for divorce, but I think that today it is outrageous the number of divorces and the selfish reasons for them.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: