OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:11:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer  (Read 264 times) Average Rating: 0
Virtual Paradise
Moderated

« on: April 06, 2013, 06:07:28 PM »

What is the deal with Protestants and others always praying to God for everything? Why do some Protestants when they get unto trouble have problems, instead of trying to solve them themselves , pray to God? (I don't think only Protestants do this) .. Can people who act like this tell me the reason they do it?
laconicstudent
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 06:08:52 PM »

What is the deal with Protestants and others always praying to God for everything? Why do some Protestants when they get unto trouble have problems, instead of trying to solve them themselves , pray to God? (I don't think only Protestants do this) .. Can people who act like this tell me the reason they do it?

You make it sound like a mutually exclusive thing.
Daedelus1138
Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 03:38:52 PM »

I think it is an evangelical thing.   It's not all bad too, there are positives and negatives to it.  There is something to be said about having ones prayers shaped by a prayer book or divine hours, however.  I've got charismatic/evangelical friends that think its odd to pray rote prayers ,but honestly I feel sometimes their faith, their understanding of the things of God is flimsy.   When one constantly approaches God with a laundry list of personal problems, it can quickly make a mess of ones spirituality.

A friend of mine when saying "grace" will often slip into asking God for things for her friends or herself... to me that's bad form.  When you bless or give thanks for food, it's not the time to bring that laundry list up of things you want.  I have nothing against ex tempore prayer ,but its better when it is shaped by prayers common to many Christians.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 03:42:46 PM by Daedelus1138 » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: