OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 09:50:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hindu Weddings  (Read 2111 times) Average Rating: 0
Virtual Paradise
Moderated

« on: April 06, 2013, 06:07:28 PM »

Do Hindu Weddings in the Orthodox or Catholic Churches include Vedic rituals and traditions? Also is a hindus allowed to marry a christian or a muslim ?
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 06:12:26 PM »

No Hindu weddings take place in Orthodox or Catholic churches. They're not Christian, remember?

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 10:21:34 PM »

Yeah Hindus can't be in an Eastern Orthodox Sacrament - Matrimony.   Plus there would be no where for the cow to be blessed....   Plus, as custom after a Hindu marriage, the cow gets to go poo in the home of the newlyweds (seriously truth is stranger than fiction).   I can't imagine a church blessing to contain a cow plopping in the living room.   I guess it's a form of Hindu home blessing.   I think I'd take holy water.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 10:39:51 PM »

Hinduism is a religion. I think you may be mistaking it for a culture or ethnic tradition, when in reality, it's not. So to answer the question, "Hindu Weddings" do not have any place in the Orthodox Church since they are a different religion, however, people from an Indian background can be married in the Church, provided they are Orthodox Christians.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 12:21:37 AM »

Do you mean to ask if we would recognise such a union? I suppose I wouldn't have a problem with it, although obviously the Hindu elements are not accepted.

Thank you.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 06:22:20 PM »

Do Hindu Weddings in the Orthodox or Catholic Churches include Vedic rituals and traditions? Also is a hindus allowed to marry a christian or a muslim ?
Allowed by whom?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Virtual Paradise
Moderated

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 06:22:20 PM »

By "Hindu" I meant "Indian" . Surely there are Indian Orthodox and Catholic Churches and surely there are weddings performed in them. I was just interested in the custom. Does an Indian Orthodox or Catholic wedding ceremony include Vedic texts and rituals? If so, which one.

On another train of thought I did meant hindus(hinduism) when I wrote "can a hindus marry a christian or a muslim" . And let me clarify that one also : "Can a hindus marry a christian or a muslim religiously ?"

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2013, 12:50:38 PM »

By "Hindu" I meant "Indian" . Surely there are Indian Orthodox and Catholic Churches and surely there are weddings performed in them. I was just interested in the custom. Does an Indian Orthodox or Catholic wedding ceremony include Vedic texts and rituals? If so, which one.

No.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 01:04:04 PM »

Hinduism is a religion. I think you may be mistaking it for a culture or ethnic tradition, when in reality, it's not.

To be fair, the word "Hindu" has been interchangeable with "Indian" (they come from the same root word) and it took some development before it came to take a specific religious connotation. It's a bit like using the word "Latins" interchangeably with "Roman Catholic" or "Armenian" for "non-Chalcedonian."

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2013, 01:10:09 PM »

There is both an Orthodox (mostly OOs) and a Catholic presence in India. Christianity is said to have reached India in the first century due to the mission work of St. Thomas the Apostle. Such a connection is so strong that Indian Christians often consider themselves "St. Thomas Christians."

The Syriac Orthodox Church (Oriental Orthodox) has a presence in India, as well as the Malankara Orthodox Church (which is also Oriental Orthodox, but autocephalous). There are also Malankara and Syro-Malabar Catholics in India. However, syncretic rituals (including Vedic and others) are not in line with the Christian faith and should have absolutely no place in Church.

On another train of thought I did meant hindus(hinduism) when I wrote "can a hindus marry a christian or a muslim" . And let me clarify that one also : "Can a hindus marry a christian or a muslim religiously ?"

No, Hindus cannot be married in the Church, nor can Hindus marry Orthodox Christians without converting to Orthodoxy.

I'm not Muslim, but I highly doubt they would permit such a union, either.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2013, 01:14:35 PM »

1. There are no Vedic Texts or rituals performed in any Indian Orthodox Churches, though there are a couple uniquely Indian cultural traditions which have been baptized into a Christian tradition.

2. Hindus may marry either Christians in a religious manner only if he/she agrees to convert and be baptized.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 01:21:57 PM »

Yeah Hindus can't be in an Eastern Orthodox Sacrament - Matrimony.   Plus there would be no where for the cow to be blessed....   Plus, as custom after a Hindu marriage, the cow gets to go poo in the home of the newlyweds (seriously truth is stranger than fiction).   I can't imagine a church blessing to contain a cow plopping in the living room.   I guess it's a form of Hindu home blessing.   I think I'd take holy water.

There are many different "types" (for lack of a better word) of Hinduism, some of which do not consider cows to be especially sacred.
Virtual Paradise
Moderated

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »

1. There are no Vedic Texts or rituals performed in any Indian Orthodox Churches, though there are a couple uniquely Indian cultural traditions which have been baptized into a Christian tradition.

2. Hindus may marry either Christians in a religious manner only if he/she agrees to convert and be baptized.

1.So we won't be seeing a Vivaah on a Indian Christian Wedding?

2.I was talking about Hinduism, not Christianity. Smiley

Can an Hindus according to Hinduism, or Hindu religions such as Hinduism, Jainism, Sikh marry a Christian or a muslim? How is that perceived from the Hindu patriotic, cultural and ethnic pov?
dhinuus
Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 11:49:55 AM »

1.So we won't be seeing a Vivaah on a Indian Christian Wedding?
What do you mean by "Vivaaham" or "Vivaah" ? It is the sanskrit root word for wedding and in almost all Indian Languages including "Malayalam" the vernacular langauage of the Malanakara Syriac Orthodox Christians. So yes Malankara Syriac Orthodox Christians has the Holy Sacrament of "Vivaaham". But in a Orthodox Christian Vivaaham don't expect to see anything that contradicts with the Holy Bible or the faith of the fathers handed down to us from the Three Ecumenical Councils.

Can an Hindus according to Hinduism, or Hindu religions such as Hinduism, Jainism, Sikh marry a Christian or a muslim? How is that perceived from the Hindu patriotic, cultural and ethnic pov?
Anyone can marry anyone in India and the register the marriage at the local goverment registrar. India is a secular democratic republic where anyone is free to practice any faith they want and marry anyone they like.  

Ethnically Malankara Syriac Orthodox Christians are Hindus. As has been clarified the term Hindu (Shindu) is a very loose term used to refer to the ethnic people living to the east of the Shindu (Indus) river. If the pagan Greek religion had survived... the practicioners of that regilion would have been called Greeks and so also would have been the Greek Orthodox Christians.

Now from a religions point of view there is not one Hindu view. Just like there is not one Christian view. For an outsider the entire spectrum starting from Seventh Day Adventists, Mormons , Pentecostals  all the way to Orthodox Christians are Christians. But for someone inside the faith you know they are all different. Multiply that complexity by about 1000... and then you will get a feeling of the level of diversity in Hindu faith, culture, practices, traditions etc.

So if you ask how is it going to be percieved? The answer is.. it depends.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 11:51:44 AM by dhinuus » Logged

NULL
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: