OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 08:40:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Czech Orthodox Church primate suspected of breaching oath of celibacy/sex with  (Read 1977 times) Average Rating: 0
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« on: April 05, 2013, 06:48:05 PM »

http://praguemonitor.com/2013/04/05/czech-orthodox-church-primate-suspected-breaching-oath

brought up by Nova TV at these links (but the pages "cannot be found" for me anymore... maybe they are taking them down? at least i can still see the title... can anyone else get the pages to work?

Title: scandals in the Orthodox Church: Archbishop Christopher is said to have several mistresses, and even children! http://cinema.nova.cz/article/zpravy/domaci/skandal-v-pravoslavne-cirkvi-arcibiskup-krystof-ma-pry-nekolik-milenek-a-dokonce-i-deti.html

Title: The case of Archbishop Christopher : His lover revealed details of their life! http://cinema.nova.cz/article/zpravy/domaci/kauza-arcibiskupa-krystofa-jeho-milenka-prozradila-podrobnosti-o-jejich-zivote.html

Title: Monk and his mistress? Ecclesiastical scandal seems to collide ligament Metropolitan Krystof http://cinema.nova.cz/article/zpravy/domaci/srazi-milenky-vaz-metropolitovi-krystofovi-pokud-se-neobhaji-tak-ano.html

The accusations are against Metropolitan Krystof, Primate of the Orthodox Church of the Czech Lands and Slovakia

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 07:18:39 PM »

can anyone else get the pages to work?

Works for me.

The accusations are against Metropolitan Krystof, Primate of the Orthodox Church of the Czech Lands and Slovakia

I can't say I had never heard some gossips about Metropolitan Christopher's alleged daughters. I thought, however he conceived them prior to his conversion (or monastic tonsure).

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 07:31:52 PM »

Only the first link works.  The bottom three state "Page Not Found", for me.

That's a shame.

However, it might all be false accusations, as M. Krystof states.  Only he and God knows.

I hate seeing such news connected with Orthodoxy.  Sad
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:32:06 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 07:47:01 PM »

From what I understood here Metropolitan Christopher was required to prove his innocence via lawsuit. On the other hand it does not say anything about his temporary exemption from the post.

(nice website BTW)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:52:32 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 07:50:49 PM »

From what I understood here Metropolitan Christopher was required to prove his innocence via lawsuit. On the other hand it does not say anything about his temporary exemption from the post.
What is the lawsuit over?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 07:52:04 PM »

What is the lawsuit over?

False (as he claims and the Synod supports him) accusations charged against him / defamation / something like that.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 07:52:47 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 08:01:47 PM »

He said the accusation may be linked to the ongoing property settlement between the Czech state and churches, within which 1.14 billion crowns is to go to the Orthodox Church.

"Some would like the money to be exclusively spent on humanitarian projects for seniors, ill people and children. Others, however, say the money should be deposited in funds to draw more money for priests' [pay]," Krystof told TV Nova Thursday.

Source: http://praguemonitor.com/2013/04/05/czech-orthodox-church-primate-suspected-breaching-oath

Perhaps the understanding of who is behind the story lies in the above mentioned info regardless if Metropolitan Christopher was guilty or not.  The question is always: who profits from this situation?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 08:03:11 PM by Putnik Namernik » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 10:09:33 PM »

He said the accusation may be linked to the ongoing property settlement between the Czech state and churches, within which 1.14 billion crowns is to go to the Orthodox Church.

"Some would like the money to be exclusively spent on humanitarian projects for seniors, ill people and children. Others, however, say the money should be deposited in funds to draw more money for priests' [pay]," Krystof told TV Nova Thursday.

Source: http://praguemonitor.com/2013/04/05/czech-orthodox-church-primate-suspected-breaching-oath

Perhaps the understanding of who is behind the story lies in the above mentioned info regardless if Metropolitan Christopher was guilty or not.  The question is always: who profits from this situation?

Ah, the Poirot question. "Who benefits?"

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 10:34:32 AM »

Do we really need to seek some conspiracy theories behind that?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Putnik Namernik
Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 11:12:03 AM »

Do we really need to seek some conspiracy theories behind that?

No need for conspiracy...but for me timing is always something I look at.
LenInSebastopol

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 03:20:54 PM »

As an ignorant American catechumen, knowing little and next to nothing, all things from that region are truth and lies, sometimes even mixed with fiction.
A DNA test of those children born after tonsure could help sort out the differences, especially if done in a "neutral" country. I mean "follow the money" is not new on Earth.
Lord, have mercy.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 03:21:11 PM by LenInSebastopol » Logged

Mark 14: 36

God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 01:03:16 PM »

I can't say I had never heard some gossips about Metropolitan Christopher's alleged daughters. I thought, however he conceived them prior to his conversion (or monastic tonsure).

It seems those daughters I had heard about were conceived prior his tonsure and it's not a secret. This fuss is about some other alleged children of him.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2013, 01:46:20 PM »

It seems those daughters I had heard about were conceived prior his tonsure and it's not a secret. This fuss is about some other alleged children of him.

Was he married? He should not have been having sex before his tonsure unless he was married. I do not see anything in bio about him being married, so how does he have children, and was allowed to be ordained?

Joseph
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2013, 02:10:33 PM »

Was he married? He should not have been having sex before his tonsure unless he was married. I do not see anything in bio about him being married, so how does he have children, and was allowed to be ordained?

No idea. Also couldn't find anything. However you do know he was tonsured 11 years after his ordination, don't you?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 02:22:14 PM »

From a friend with contacts in Slovakia, the Metropolitan was married and had children prior to being divorced. This was not a secret. I don't know if the marriage was civil only. After the civil divorce he entered seminary as far as I know. If I hear more I will post.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2013, 02:28:49 PM »

From a friend with contacts in Slovakia, the Metropolitan was married and had children prior to being divorced. This was not a secret. I don't know if the marriage was civil only. After the civil divorce he entered seminary as far as I know. If I hear more I will post.

He was ordained when he was 21. If that what you say is true - it would make quite an achievement.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 03:07:27 PM »

Interesting. A thread based primarily on hearsay and gossip. And it is Christian News?

Do I hear the pot calling the kettle black?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 04:43:10 PM »

There are several newsreports here. If you can't read with understanding that's your problem.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 04:51:31 PM »

Interesting. A thread based primarily on hearsay and gossip. And it is Christian News?

Let's see. "Christian News" is easy to dissect. It would seem to require a thread to deal with "news" relating to Christian matters.

The thread in question linked to an online version of a news report disseminated through CTK, the Czech Press Agency, an entity akin to the Associated Press or Reuters.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%8CTK)  That sounds like 'news' by even a tight definition.

The report references accusations made against an Orthodox hierarch. That meets the Christian part of the requirement.

Gossip or hearsay would be an inappropriate source for sure but the story was confirmed by a church spokesperson. " Prague, April 4 (CTK) - The Czech Orthodox Church Primate Krystof has to refute by mid-May the suspicion that he has breached his oath as a monk and had sex with women, Jaroslav Suvarsky, head of the Orthodox Church's eparchial council, told CTK Thursday." [/b]
http://praguemonitor.com/2013/04/05/czech-orthodox-church-primate-suspected-breaching-oath

For the record my source is an Archon and benefactor of the Presov Diocese of the Czech and Slovak Orthodox Church. The longtime coordinator of gathering and delivering relief and medical supplies to the Presov Diocese' s children's home in Medzilaborce, Slovakia, he is well known to the Church's bishops there. I sent him the article link and he told me that it was well known that the Bishop had children prior to ordination and he knew nothing about the current controversy. He speculated about the story itself, but that speculation was idle hearsay and opinion and had I posted that part of our conversation - which I did not do - that would have been improper.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 04:53:38 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 10:03:28 AM »

Apparently the main accuser confessed the allegations were not true.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 10:23:28 AM »

Excellent!!!!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 12:29:31 PM »

Do you have a source for this info?

Joseph
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 01:16:31 PM »

Do you have a source for this info?

here: http://www.religion.in.ua/news/foreign_news/21716-posle-otstavki-mitropolita-cheshskix-zemel-i-slovakii-grazhdanka-obvinivshaya-ego-v-narushenii-monasheskix-obetov-priznalas-chto-solgala.html

edit:

eng: http://www.christofor.cz/vyjadreni-k-omluve/english
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 01:24:34 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 02:08:55 PM »

I liked how it ends:

there is no reason for divorce, the spouses as good Christians will reconcile each other, and both baby girls can happily grow in a full family with their mother and father.

A good Christian attitude.

Joseph
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 02:11:05 PM »

I liked how it ends:

there is no reason for divorce, the spouses as good Christians will reconcile each other, and both baby girls can happily grow in a full family with their mother and father.

A good Christian attitude.

Yeah. I wonder how that priest keeps serving after all that. I also wonder what was his role in the plot.

It doesn't solve other accusations, though.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:11:26 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 05:16:40 PM »

He was ordained when he was 21. If that what you say is true - it would make quite an achievement.
This is a blatant violation of the canons. A deacon ought to be no younger than 25 years of age, and priests ought to be no younger than 30. This is ridiculous, if it is the case. AFAIK, a divorced man would not be allowed to be ordained, unless he became a monk. This shows how little Orthodox clergy care for the canons nowadays.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »

This is a blatant violation of the canons. A deacon ought to be no younger than 25 years of age, and priests ought to be no younger than 30. This is ridiculous, if it is the case. AFAIK, a divorced man would not be allowed to be ordained, unless he became a monk. This shows how little Orthodox clergy care for the canons nowadays.

Find me any jurisdiction that keeps those age limits...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
davinpa

Faith: catholic (trying to be well rounded)
Jurisdiction: Viva Papa

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 01:33:05 AM »

I remember that the Russian church once ordained a bishop at age 27
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 04:53:22 PM »

Are you talking about the Moscow Patriarchate, or ROCOR? Even though MP priests might be ordained young, most bishops are at least in their thirties when consecrated, if not older. In ROCOR, I have never seen any priests, at least in the Eastern American Diocese who could be younger than the age of 30. AFAIK, ROCOR follows the canons on the question of clerical ages.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 10:29:12 AM »

Are you talking about the Moscow Patriarchate, or ROCOR? Even though MP priests might be ordained young, most bishops are at least in their thirties when consecrated, if not older. In ROCOR, I have never seen any priests, at least in the Eastern American Diocese who could be younger than the age of 30. AFAIK, ROCOR follows the canons on the question of clerical ages.

ROCOR is one of the worst in violating the canons of ordination. There are at least three priest in America who could not get ordained in any other jurisdiction because of canonical impediments, but where ordained under ROCOR. Be careful before you exalt your own jurisdiction as being pure, everyone has skeletons in their closets.

Joseph
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 10:04:44 PM »

ROCOR is one of the worst in violating the canons of ordination. There are at least three priest in America who could not get ordained in any other jurisdiction because of canonical impediments, but where ordained under ROCOR. Be careful before you exalt your own jurisdiction as being pure, everyone has skeletons in their closets.

Where these serious impediments?
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 10:28:19 PM »

Where these serious impediments?

Any impediment is serious. The three I am thinking of are all marriage issues (cases of divorce, and in one case multiple divorces).

Joseph
ilyazhito
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2013, 10:52:56 AM »

There may have been people who fell through the cracks in the days when ROCOR was on the margins of mainstream Orthodoxy, such as HOOM and Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Brookline. At least, none of the portraits of clergy in the Eastern American diocese look as though they were made of children or 19 year olds. If I knew that ordaining underage clergy was a systematic problem, I would not have written the post about ROCOR that I did. They may ordain teenage readers, but most priests in ROCOR appear to be in their 30s and 40s, if not older. Deacons are in the same age range as well. IMHO, Metropolitan Krystof should remain in office until an ecclesiastical trial deposes him. If the accusations are proven baseless, the accuser will be punished according to canon law. How many witnesses does the accuser have? At least two or three witnesses are required to provide an accusation against a bishop.
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2013, 11:51:37 AM »

Metropolitan Christopher completely cleared of lies and slander
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OrthodoxNews/message/17833

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 08:31:41 AM »

Metropolitan Christopher completely cleared of lies and slander
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OrthodoxNews/message/17833