OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 05:54:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bishop Matthias "retired" by the OCA  (Read 2972 times) Average Rating: 0
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2013, 10:52:24 AM »

What Michal meant to say )I think) was, "That event sounds interesting.  May I ask why you were there?"

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2013, 11:04:29 AM »

Oh, I thought you were talking about the thread!  Don't worry, I get that all the time!   Wink

There is a brief mention here: http://www.teologie.uaic.ro/pages.aspx?pageid=275
and here http://www.doxologia.ro/actualitate/arhiepiscopia-iasilor/dragostea-e-cea-mai-buna-terapie-vindecarea-patimilor

The basic story is here, though they misidentified me as coming from St. Herman's in Alaska, which I only visited one time! http://satunou.iasi.mmb.ro/4959-conferinta-preoteasca-de-toamna-oct-2012

I was invited my His Eminence when the original speaker cancelled and they needed a 'pinch hitter' (before you get the wrong idea, Michał, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinch_hitter... I didn't pinch or hit anyone, I promise!).  So, I lectured to the deaneries and faculties in Iaşi, Dorohoi, Botoşan, Neamţ, & Piatra Neamţ.  It was an amazing experience that would not have otherwise happened were it not for the cancellation and my being friends with the organizer who desperately needed a priest 'from America' to replace the one who could not come.

I think I learned more than anyone else on that trip.  I got to see Orthodoxy in its 'native context' rather than as I have seen it... potted and root-bound.  My whole outlook on the Church here in America has radically changed as a result.  They don't understand us, and we don't understand them... but God understands us all and has a plan.

If you want to get the gist of the lecture, read the document I sent you.  I covered most of it (except the discussion of addiction because we didn't have time) in Romania.

I'm seriously interested about the event.

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2013, 11:05:41 AM »

His follow-up clarified that...   laugh

At first, I thought he was just being cheeky... no offense taken.

What Michal meant to say )I think) was, "That event sounds interesting.  May I ask why you were there?"

The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2013, 11:33:24 AM »

His follow-up clarified that...   laugh

At first, I thought he was just being cheeky... no offense taken.

English is a weird language. At least that was the general opinion of my grandfathers generation. They were always thrown off by nuance, pronunciation, and colloquialisms. There were plenty of humorous malapropisms at church events back then and serious misunderstandings as well.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2013, 11:39:27 AM »

Thank you FG. Very interesting. I'll read your paper later. I don't have enough time now.
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »

Yep, English is weird...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY

English is a weird language. At least that was the general opinion of my grandfathers generation. They were always thrown off by nuance, pronunciation, and colloquialisms. There were plenty of humorous malapropisms at church events back then and serious misunderstandings as well.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 11:41:32 AM by FatherGiryus » Logged

FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2013, 11:42:22 AM »

No worries.  You can always come to Moscow in November....   Wink

Thank you FG. Very interesting. I'll read your paper later. I don't have enough time now.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2013, 12:29:22 PM »

Yep, English is weird...

This is gonna sound so unkind, but all I could think of was enduring a liturgy once with an ESL priest and deacon who really zipped through and mangled the Queen's English. (ESL means "English as a second language".) They made me pine for the "good old days" of Church Slavonic.
Sirach
Elder

Just trying to learn something.

« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2013, 05:54:45 PM »

And it doesn't require a monastery to realize you oughtn't txt young women for sleep-overs if you want to avoid scandal nowadays.

Which could, depending on the specifics, constitute sexual harassment under color of authority. 

This is generally thought of in terms of employer/employee, or government official/citizen.  However, it is not too far a stretch to see how this could apply to a Bishop/church member relationship.  While the bishop may not meet the psychological criteria of “predator” he certainly may meet the legal criteria of harasser under Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, or a similar state law.

In that case, it would seem prudent for the OCA to take the action it did.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2013, 06:34:41 PM »

This is gonna sound so unkind, but all I could think of was enduring a liturgy once with an ESL priest and deacon who really zipped through and mangled the Queen's English. (ESL means "English as a second language".) They made me pine for the "good old days" of Church Slavonic.

I've been to plenty of services where I understood far more of the Greek or Slavonic bits than I did of those supposedly done in English.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2013, 08:04:09 PM »

I've been to plenty of services where I understood far more of the Greek or Slavonic bits than I did of those supposedly done in English.

Sometimes even I say...what the heck did I just say?!

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2013, 02:12:45 PM »

Oh dear, I just had a similar experience up in Alberta :-). The priest - a lovely man, and apparently well loved by his parish - had a nice voice when he was serving in Slavonic, but it went higher and more nasally as soon as he switched to English, which was a lot since the parish seemed to be about half English-speaking old timers and half newly arrived Russians/Ukrainians. So unfortunate...

Yep, English is weird...

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2013, 02:17:02 PM »

Vis-a-vis the ratio: Indeed :-(. Though I for one am extremely grateful the ranks of the retired include the likes of the last three metropolitans of the OCA and the former Bishop of San Francisco :-).

OCA - the only one Church with retired vs. active bishops 1:1 ratio.

I am not sure that is a bad thing.

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
kijabeboy03
High Elder

« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2013, 02:19:16 PM »

It's been a while since I looked closely and how many parishes the various areas of the USA have, but are there really enough in Missouri alone to support one diocese, much less two? Just briefly checking the directories of the OCA and the Antiochian and Greek Orthodox Archdioceses only comes up with 14 communities under those jurisdictions in the whole state. I'm all for missionary dioceses, but setting up two regular dioceses for such a parish desert (as it were) seems a touch silly...

It would be ideal to have at least one bishop per state-province (USA and Canada), but it would be difficult since they would need at least 63 bishops (50 for USA and 13 for Canada)...

It wouldn't be a problem at all. Also, each state doesn't need it's own Bishop, while certain cities do.

For example, North & South Dakota, Wyoming & Montana don't need a Bishop for each state. Whereas Chicago should have at least 1 just for the Metropolitan Area. Same for NYC & LA.

Here in Missouri, we should technically have 2, one in St. Louis and the other in Kansas City with the state being divided down the middle & the Kansas City diocese including Northeastern Kansas, with the St. Louis including far southern Illinois. Kansas should have it's own in Wichita, with the northeastern part going to KC. Arkansas could also get it's own in Little Rock, with parts of northeastern Arkansas going to a Bishop in Memphis. Oklahoma could also have it's own with one Bishop in OKC. Nebraska & Iowa could either have their own Bishops (one in Omaha & another in Des Moines) or be combined into one.

As Michal pointed out, we have 65 bishops for the US & Canada currently. But that does not mean that we could not have more Bishops and Auxiliary Bishops ordained. That could very easily be done. Some Bishops could stay where they are, others would only have to move a few miles, and others may have to move a long way. Bishop Basil in Wichita could stay there, while new Bishops could be ordained for KC & St. Louis.

Think about the early days of the Christian Church, and don't think about the way Orthodox nations are now. Back in the early days, Bishop's diocese were not very large in size or in number of churches, yet they eventually grew and did have to subdivide. That will have to be the exact same here. We shouldn't expect to jump from missionary status up to Patriarchate status or size in a short time.

A temporary fix would be, in a unified Church, to give Nebraska, Iowa, Missouri & Kansas to Bishop Basil in Wichita. Then, after a while of adjustment and growth, more Bishops could be appointed and the diocese could be subdivided into additional diocese (and not subdiocese with auxiliaries).

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2013, 03:22:51 PM »

22 parishes, 2 monasteries in Missouri.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: